Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should milk shake attacks be classed as common assault?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Legally, I'm in the dark here. What else is included in common assault? I think this Farage assailant picked up criminal damage too.

Despite the comedy value, is it a crime? Would you press charges? And if you wanted to make a point, how else would you do it to avoid legal entanglements?

I'm genuinely not sure I'd have wasted a £5.25 shake on Farage. But maybe it's the new political symbol. The dove was for peace - the milk shake is for opposing xenophobia.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm against the throwing of milkshakes at anyone. Obviously, it's wrong to waste a milkshake and especially one from Five Guys. But it's pretty poor form to throw a liquid at someone, however much you disagree with them, there are better ways of expressing it. Yes, it's a funny picture and we all love that picture of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon covered in a milkshake. It isn't for me though, there should be more civility in disagreements.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, even throwing water or beer over someone is assault. The chap has also been charged with criminal damage as it ruined Farage's microphone.

Farage does love being a 'victim' though. It's all publicity for him.

John Prescott had an egg thrown at him, threw a punch or two back, and that was it. He didn't prefer charges on the thrower.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Legally, I'm in the dark here. What else is included in common assault? I think this Farage assailant picked up criminal damage too.

Despite the comedy value, is it a crime? Would you press charges? And if you wanted to make a point, how else would you do it to avoid legal entanglements?

I'm genuinely not sure I'd have wasted a £5.25 shake on Farage. But maybe it's the new political symbol. The dove was for peace - the milk shake is for opposing xenophobia.

Yes it is common assault.

It could so easily have been a knife or acid, although irrelevant.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Yes, even throwing water or beer over someone is assault. The chap has also been charged with criminal damage as it ruined Farage's microphone.

Farage does love being a 'victim' though. It's all publicity for him.

John Prescott had an egg thrown at him, threw a punch or two back, and that was it. He didn't prefer charges on the thrower.

Indeed, more votes procured for the Brexit Party. :rolleyes:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Will it be so funny when it's acid?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When you consider someone got 28 days for throwing an egg at Corbyn, then yes, yes it should.

What would you rather be hit with ? An egg or a milkshake ..... only one way to find out Harry.... Fffffff

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In this case no, it should be rewarded.
In days of yore people were put in stocks and had far worse thrown at them.
And what about stoning, that still goes on today.
Nah, it was just milkshake but Farage had every right to do a Prescott, but bottled it.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think it's correct that it's deemed a crime (because it is assault), but I think it's an interesting test of the politician on whether they press the charges. It strikes me as churlish for them to do so.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Will it be so funny when it's acid?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Sorry, friend. This argument is becoming tiresome.

It is illegal to throw milkshake over someone. It is also, for me in this context, funny. I, however, don't suggest that it shouldn't be prosecuted. It's just not a serious offence. It'll get boring with too many copycats.

No, it wouldn't be funny if it was acid.

There are a few freaks who would take things further. I would suggest that, as folk don't get away with it, they won't use these incidents as inspiration.

One Twitter wag suggested that such incidents should be treated in the same way as the Jo Cox murder. But that wasn't funny. 99.9% of folk know where the line is- and it's a long way short of murder and maiming.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You can drown, even in shallow milkshake.

Attempted murder IMO.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
When you read of the terrible, tragic case of Karanbir Cheema, it shows how dumb and irresponsible it was.

Had Farage had the same conditions, then I don't think folks would be so blasé about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here