Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jamie Oliver’s Restaurants Administration!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I know this is a commonly-held view of JO but the truth is that he is very down-to-earth chap and pretty unassuming and modest. And yes, he will be alright.

The British disease strikes again.
If anyone is successful they become a target for hate and envy.
EG

Yep he will be alright the smug ****..

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Blimey, I'm not sure I get the hate for Oliver himself.

He's always struck me as a decent bloke who wants to do the right thing for others. He takes risks and has done well for himself.

I appreciate his tone and mannerisms won't suit everyone, but I'm not sure I could be wishing ill on him because of that.

He tried to make our kids eat healthier food goddammit.

BOOOOOO

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He founded them 11 years ago. Was it a bad idea then? And still a bad idea when it was successful?

Over Expanded into Prime Sites with Expensive Rents - All well and good when he was continually on Prime time TV. - Less of a good plan if the costly rents have leases extend well beyond his TV Popularity.

He also may not have foreseen the rise in popularity of Vegan / Vegetarian and Self Sustainable Public eateries which are on the rise.

Good way of closing down and getting out of the leases or potentially having them renegotiated by the Liquidator.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

He's always struck me as a decent bloke who wants to do the right thing for others. He takes risks and has done well for himself.

I appreciate his tone and mannerisms won't suit everyone, but I'm not sure I could be wishing ill on him because of that.

In a nutshell.

He's a near-neighbour and when in the pub, or out and about in the village he is exactly that - just a decent bloke. End of, really. :shrug:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Catering is bloody tough at the moment. Lots of places struggling, from small independents to the big chains. It’s not quite as bad as 2008 onwards, but, it’s not far off.

If and when we leave the EU it will get tougher, I’ve already been warned that even with a deal, fruit and veg will rise by up to 20%, because we can’t produce crops year round.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Business's start and business's end. Twas forever thus

I though Jamies was pretty decent. Well done Jamie for giving it a go in a highly competitive sector

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The British disease strikes again.
If anyone is successful they become a target for hate and envy.

How true.
Jamie Oliver is dyslexic, got hardly any qualifications and went through his entire school career being told he was thick, stupid and lazy, apart from one teacher whom he still recalls fondly. I don't begrudge him any of his success.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poor Jamie, it's all gone a bit "Gnocchi Funghi".

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just don't bother unless you have a rock solid business plan that can't fail I guess?

Court papers revealed that Jamie's Italian had debts of £71.5m, including: £2.2m in wages owed to staff; £30.2m of overdrafts and loans; £41.3m owed to landlords, HM Revenue and Customs, suppliers and other creditors; with £47m of the debts covered by loans from HSBC Bank and Oliver's other companies.

In 2009 his chain of cooking school/delis called Recipease were opened in several locations in the UK including Brighton, Battersea and Notting Hill in London. By the end of 2015 all stores had been closed.

In 2011 Oliver set up Barbecoa, a BBQ meat-based restaurant with his friend, American barbecue expert Adam Perry Lang. There were two outlets, both in London, one in Piccadilly and a second in St Pauls. In 2014 the Piccadilly outlet voluntarily closed for 24 hours after hygiene inspectors gave it the second lowest rating. The Times reported they had found mouse droppings, mouldy carcasses and out-of-date meat.[23] In February 2018, JORG confirmed that they had "instructed a firm of real estate agents to ascertain the potential value and market suitability of two of our sites. On 19 February 2018, Barbecoa Ltd went into administration, with Oliver immediately buying back the St Paul's site in a pre-packed agreement via a new subsidiary.

I think he should stick to cook books wouldn’t you say.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

This

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My son was working with him last week didn’t have a bad word to say about the chap, polite and not up himself at all.

I know someone who used to work for Jamie and he said the same a genuine decent bloke, however his brother-in-law was another story and I believe the one who actually ran the business.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Court papers revealed that Jamie's Italian had debts of £71.5m, including: £2.2m in wages owed to staff; £30.2m of overdrafts and loans; £41.3m owed to landlords, HM Revenue and Customs, suppliers and other creditors; with £47m of the debts covered by loans from HSBC Bank and Oliver's other companies.

In 2009 his chain of cooking school/delis called Recipease were opened in several locations in the UK including Brighton, Battersea and Notting Hill in London. By the end of 2015 all stores had been closed.

In 2011 Oliver set up Barbecoa, a BBQ meat-based restaurant with his friend, American barbecue expert Adam Perry Lang. There were two outlets, both in London, one in Piccadilly and a second in St Pauls. In 2014 the Piccadilly outlet voluntarily closed for 24 hours after hygiene inspectors gave it the second lowest rating. The Times reported they had found mouse droppings, mouldy carcasses and out-of-date meat.[23] In February 2018, JORG confirmed that they had "instructed a firm of real estate agents to ascertain the potential value and market suitability of two of our sites. On 19 February 2018, Barbecoa Ltd went into administration, with Oliver immediately buying back the St Paul's site in a pre-packed agreement via a new subsidiary.

I think he should stick to cook books wouldn’t you say.

When you put it like that; even more unbelievable that he found 1300 people stupid enough to work for him

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yeah. Horrible bloke.

That Fifteen restaurant where he allowed youngsters who had previous issues with drugs and alcohol to have a fresh start and re-train in the restaurant industry was a RIGHT ******* MOVE.

And then, to make it even worse, he had the CHEEK to put the previous profits from the restaurant into the foundation to continue the training programme.

BOOOOOOOOO

Court papers revealed that Jamie's Italian had debts of £71.5m, including: £2.2m in wages owed to STAFF booooooooooooooo

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
When you put it like that; even more unbelievable that he found 1300 people stupid enough to work for him

When you think the anger vented to two of our biggest rivals about going into admin and all the poor people they owed money to, yet this guy is a Saint apparently[emoji849]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When you think the anger vented to two of our biggest rivals about going into admin and all the poor people they owed money to, yet this guy is a Saint apparently[emoji849]

Do you know it wasn't one of the creditors that put the company into administration?/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here