Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Ian Holloway on Talksport

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It will be nice to hear our manager talk about us, talk up our positives, say how he believes in his players to know how to win, instead of talking up the opposition every sodding time.

Agreed, that was getting so ****ing annoying. :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It will be nice to hear our manager talk about us, talk up our positives, say how he believes in his players to know how to win, instead of talking up the opposition every sodding time.

This. IN BUCKETLOADS. Psychologically the players were already one nil down.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
What is that statement supposed to mean? :shrug:

Solly March is an excellent footballer, with a value at least as high as we paid for Jahanbaksh. Why should he not 'look a better player'?

If potter plays the system he had Swansea playing I can see March reaching the high levels we all think he is capable of. He is one player who has shone already has bags of potential is managed and coached effectively

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I take this to mean, Chris didn't play to their strengths, not that the players weren't any good. We know the potential of the signings because we track then for ages before buying them. It's therefore easy to see if the coach is getting the most from each.

Too many have failed to kick on as expected.

If that’s Chris’ fault, and Potter does get the best out of them, we’ll have a good season and Tony’s decision will be proven to have been correct.

If it’s because the players simply aren’t as good as we thought, and Tony doesn’t recruit additional players as (at least) insurance to mitigate against this outcome, then the chances are Potter will be unable to do materially better than Hughton, and we’ll probably be relegated.

It’ll be interesting to see how many/what calibre we sign.

Just how confident are Tony/PB that the lack of performance was due to Hughton? We’ll find out soon enough.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
With a few notable exceptions managers - even good ones - do not last long. That’s why CH rapidly rose in the NSC longest lasting manager thread.

Managers get jaded. Players do, too. The owner probably cannot afford this to interfere with his plans for the club and the team.

It’s easier to deal with the manager situation than shed a lot of players.

Decision made.

I hope Potter works out for us. Having seen him play, I certainly hope he’s a better manager.

By far.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Perhaps getting a run of games in his correct position instead of a defensive left midfielder might help give a better balanced opinion.

Ashley Barnes anyone?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
CH played Sam Baldock as a right winger for nearly a season

Once he put him up top with GM he scored goals for fun.
Same will hopefully become of AJ as he has been sacrificed all season in my opinion and his self confidence shot to bits by CH and a good few in the crowd.
If he doesn't flourish next season under GP then he needs to be shown the door and the same applies to Jürgen as well.
If they both do well then it will save TB millions in the transfer market

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
CH played Sam Baldock as a right winger for nearly a season

Once he put him up top with GM he scored goals for fun.
Same will hopefully become of AJ as he has been sacrificed all season in my opinion and his self confidence shot to bits by CH and a good few in the crowd.
If he doesn't flourish next season under GP then he needs to be shown the door and the same applies to Jürgen as well.
If they both do well then it will save TB millions in the transfer market

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

No doubt it will save millions if it works. And perhaps it will.

If it were your club, and your money - would you be buying now, just in case it’s the case that they really are pony/have had their confidence irretrievably broken (delete to taste)?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just for a bit of (necessary) balance here and given that this is sounding rather unappreciative of CH, we don't and will never know if things would have been better this past season if he had used these players differently. It may have gone horribly wrong. The CH way saved us from League 1, won us promotion to the Premier League and kept us in it. I think the second season was always likely to be hard and it is possibly thanks to CH that Graham Potter gets a chance to move us forward in this division.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The decision to get rid of Hughton is increasingly looking like a financial one.

Ie cutting our losses and selling Locadia and Ali J and recruiting better replacements = approx £40 million
Paying up Hughtons contract, compensating Swansea and appointing someone who MIGHT improve our misfiring 2018 summer signings = under £5 million

Who will pay £40m for Locadia and Ali J, to be fair if anyone does that's a very good bit of business!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I had a listen to TalkSPort last night. I played 5 a side so my usual afternoon listening had long finished.

Simon Jordan was on talking about the Potter signing. I hate to admit it but he actually spoke very well about us as a club and football in general. Heard him a few times and wanted him to shut up. Last night I was a little impressed.

I played well for the first time in weeks so it may have been the euphoria getting the better of me

Strangely I've warmed to Simon Jordan as he talks a lot of sense and comes across as a decent bloke. His podcasts with Danny Kelly are an excellent insightful listen. Its called Boot Room to Boardroom for those that want to give it a go. Funnily enough he talks in one about the sale of his Mobile Phone business, which I was close to at the time as I worked for One2One, and he mentions the negotiation with my old boss John Barton

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
For me that's a worrying statement from Barber, how many chances did CH give AJ? He was dog turd even March looked a better player.

Bissouma looks a decent talent probably needs to get his fitness levels up, season under his belt will come on leaps and bounds.

Bernardo looked our best player at times so if Potter can improve him, fantastic..

Its not just players its also about systems

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Strangely I've warmed to Simon Jordan as he talks a lot of sense and comes across as a decent bloke. His podcasts with Danny Kelly are an excellent insightful listen. Its called Boot Room to Boardroom for those that want to give it a go. Funnily enough he talks in one about the sale of his Mobile Phone business, which I was close to at the time as I worked for One2One, and he mentions the negotiation with my old boss John Barton

Ah one of the many many mobile phone millionaires. I’m sure he’s squeaky clean but he definitely ran that business at the peak of MTIC fraud.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I take this to mean, Chris didn't play to their strengths, not that the players weren't any good. We know the potential of the signings because we track then for ages before buying them. It's therefore easy to see if the coach is getting the most from each.

Too many have failed to kick on as expected.

And add to that we have had two successve managers who have left after our wonderfull recruitment team has employed them some real star players, who both were unable to get the best out of the players. Perhaps that was because neither of the managers had top class experience in the game, unlike our recruitment team heads, Oh hold on, perhaps I maybe to blame a little, as I was involved in the selection of all these people.
But hey ho I have still got my job.

Last edited:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think GP will be looking at developing younger players rather than spending big money. Just by changing our style of play may get Locadia and Andone firing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think GP will be looking at developing younger players rather than spending big money. Just by changing our style of play may get Locadia and Andone firing.

While he’s developing we will need to win matches ...surely that’s going to require a fair bit of investment at the same time

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a listen to TalkSPort last night. I played 5 a side so my usual afternoon listening had long finished.

Simon Jordan was on talking about the Potter signing. I hate to admit it but he actually spoke very well about us as a club and football in general. Heard him a few times and wanted him to shut up. Last night I was a little impressed.

I played well for the first time in weeks so it may have been the euphoria getting the better of me

I really like Simon Jordan on TV or radio. He reveals so much about the behind the scenes in the sport, and isn’t afraid to mention some unpleasant characters (in his opinion) amongst agents, other owners, etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here