Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Ian Holloway on Talksport

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I watch the vast majority of out games on TV rather than in the stadium, it's hard for me to judge Jahanbaksh's pace (or lack thereof). When he signed speed was touted as one of his strengths. Has he really looked slow for us? Did he bulk up in preparation for playing in a more physical league, thereby sacrificing a a bit of pace?

I go to games. Jahanbakhsh hasn’t bulked up, he’s skinny and that costs him in challenges, he has little strength.

Pace-wise, so far he hasn’t demonstrated anything exceptional, I haven’t seen him have the regular beating of a PL opposing defender.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think it was being suggested that to get rid and replace would cost us £40m.

Crikey, I've got an ironing board that cost £39.99, I think that may be a good replacement for Locadia?

Yes, £40m would buy us a striker and a attacking MF

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
While he’s developing we will need to win matches ...surely that’s going to require a fair bit of investment at the same time

Yes it will, clubs should never stand still. I have no doubt the club will be active in the transfer market, as a new manager he will have to assess the squad and make decisions who he wants to keep and who needs replacing.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Ah one of the many many mobile phone millionaires. I’m sure he’s squeaky clean but he definitely ran that business at the peak of MTIC fraud.

I seem to recall at the time his shops were taken over there were some interesting tales of how the operation had been run but nothing regarding suggestion of fraud. IIRC there was something about banks of TVs monitoring staff but I could be wrong. At the time the talk in the office was that it was a £90m takeover so it was interesting that on the podcast he did say it was £80m as he was knocked down from £100m. Sounds about right so he is a fairly wealthy man still I imagine

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back to the show, I didn't hear the PB bit, but I turned on just as Jim Shite and 'Ollie' were discussing "Brighton and Bournemouth". Intrigued, I waited before changing to another station while they first discussed the sense in Eddie Howe going to Brighton, before getting a caller on who said that it would be a "backwards step" and that he'll be off to a "top six or seven side". All in all, it was a very odd segment, all the while Jim Shite was PLEADING with people to ring in about MikaWhatsisface not going to the Europa Cup Final (and no-one did).

Then Holloway rambled on, effectively saying that CH was a lovely fella, got a great standing ovation at the LMA Awards and Brighton have "made a mistake". Talkshite at its finest...

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Talksport would be fairly entertaining if it wasn't for the hideous ads every two mins. Can't bear to tune in for that reason.

The one for 'Talksport singles' in particular is ****ING SHIT.

What's amazing is that you can not listen for year, tune in and it's exactly the SAME bloody adverts, husky voiced working class, definitely heterosexual, geezer blokes talking about ToolStation (aka Talksport) or some other trade product. Where are the bloody poofs? It's as though they don't exist.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Back to the show, I didn't hear the PB bit, but I turned on just as Jim Shite and 'Ollie' were discussing "Brighton and Bournemouth". Intrigued, I waited before changing to another station while they first discussed the sense in Eddie Howe going to Brighton, before getting a caller on who said that it would be a "backwards step" and that he'll be off to a "top six or seven side". All in all, it was a very odd segment, all the while Jim Shite was PLEADING with people to ring in about MikaWhatsisface not going to the Europa Cup Final (and no-one did).

Then Holloway rambled on, effectively saying that CH was a lovely fella, got a great standing ovation at the LMA Awards and Brighton have "made a mistake". Talkshite at its finest...

Quite hard to argue with the Bournemouth fan. Why would Howe consider coming here? He gets way more money to spend than he would if he was here. He has established Bournemouth as a Premier League club and no doubt if he does go it will be to a team in the top 10 I imagine.

Anyway why were they discussing this the day after we appointed a new manager? Daft.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quite hard to argue with the Bournemouth fan. Why would Howe consider coming here? He gets way more money to spend than he would if he was here. He has established Bournemouth as a Premier League club and no doubt if he does go it will be to a team in the top 10 I imagine.

Anyway why were they discussing this the day after we appointed a new manager? Daft.

Well, quite. I agreed with him too – I think it WOULD be a backwards step, but I still don't get why they were wasting airtime on it. On any of it, in fact. As I said elsewhere, managers change all the time, so I'm struggling to see how/why CH's dismissal is getting so much attention. Other than the facts that he a bloody nice bloke and he's been sacked by PL clubs before :shrug:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think GP will be looking at developing younger players rather than spending big money. Just by changing our style of play may get Locadia and Andone firing.

We're down before a ball is kicked if that's the opinion from the decision makers. We need serious investment in the first team.

I am a big Stephens fan, but he is now 30. Kayal, as much as I try to convince myself otherwise, is not cut out for this level. He is also 31.

We have a slow and lumbering CB who will be at odds with any possession game we try to play. D&D will be massively tested without having their respective full backs 5 yards to the side of them at all times, and throwing themselves at shots.

We have just lost the most technical player in the entire squad to retirement.

We have a soon-to-be 36 year old leading the lines, there is going to be a season where expecting 10+ goals from him is pissing in the wind. I think that's next season.

Propper and Gross are gifted, but have absolutely no pace whatsoever.

Even the bloody goalkeeper might need changing. As much as I love Ryan, is he good enough with his feet to pass into spaces against a high press?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I had a listen to TalkSPort last night. I played 5 a side so my usual afternoon listening had long finished.

Simon Jordan was on talking about the Potter signing. I hate to admit it but he actually spoke very well about us as a club and football in general. Heard him a few times and wanted him to shut up. Last night I was a little impressed.

I played well for the first time in weeks so it may have been the euphoria getting the better of me

I met Jordan at the Grosvenor whilst I was pissed at a black tie dinner.

I was shouting abuse at him (so I'm told) and he totally blanked me.

What a Bellend. Didn't even try and smack me in the gob.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I go to games. Jahanbakhsh hasn’t bulked up, he’s skinny and that costs him in challenges, he has little strength.

Pace-wise, so far he hasn’t demonstrated anything exceptional, I haven’t seen him have the regular beating of a PL opposing defender.

This.

It’s the physical attributes that worry me the most about him. Nice touch but without pace and power at this level you’re not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
We're down before a ball is kicked if that's the opinion from the decision makers. We need serious investment in the first team.

I am a big Stephens fan, but he is now 30. Kayal, as much as I try to convince myself otherwise, is not cut out for this level. He is also 31.

We have a slow and lumbering CB who will be at odds with any possession game we try to play. D&D will be massively tested without having their respective full backs 5 yards to the side of them at all times, and throwing themselves at shots.

We have just lost the most technical player in the entire squad to retirement.

We have a soon-to-be 36 year old leading the lines, there is going to be a season where expecting 10+ goals from him is pissing in the wind. I think that's next season.

Propper and Gross are gifted, but have absolutely no pace whatsoever.

Even the bloody goalkeeper might need changing. As much as I love Ryan, is he good enough with his feet to pass into spaces against a high press?

No team should stand still and we should be actively building/cutting the squad where required.
The manager has no idea what he has got to work with in terms of can they play in the systems he will want to implement.
You would think it would be a transition period over next season as he tries to change the way we play and as new players come in. I think our defence is pretty solid, especially as it has spent most of the season defending.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Given how long the club had been tracking Ali J's career before we signed him, it might ... just maybe ... be possible that they firmly believe there's a *lot* more potential in him that simply hasn't been realised in the season just gone. That being the case (and likely a similar story for Locadia, Andone, etc) it makes a certain amount of sense to pin that on Hughton. It's possible they feel that Hughton's defense-first priority didn't allow the attack-minded signings an opportunity to flourish, that perhaps the coaching plan neglected ensuring that those players' strengths were brought out (and instead focussed too much on curbing their attacking instincts in favour of defence).

I can see where the club might be coming to the conclusions they've come to, especially as they no doubt have a lot more data and information on which to base their conclusions than we do. The fact that Ali J was "dog turd" this season doesn't necessarily prove that he *is* "dog turd". There's always a possibility that Hughton polished a rough diamond and produced a dog turd.
If anything, I think that supports the assertion the Hughton couldn't get the best out of him. He must have worked on improving AJ in training and felt that he was making progress, otherwise he wouldn't have picked him. So the fact that he failed to improve tells you something about Hughton or AJ. We'll find out next season.

If we look at the signings we made who improved over the season - I'd say Bernardo and Bissouma - against those who didn't - AJ, Andone and we'll throw in Locadia - the main difference is that those who didn't improve are forward players while Bernardo is a defender and Bissouma improved his defensive play. So it might be fairer to say Hughton failed to improve our attacking players (and you could say the same about Izzy). Defensively he did fine.
If you were paying Barber's wages would you see his frequent media appearances as a worthwhile use of his time, other than building "Brand Barber"? Is there a benefit to the club in having him (or anyone else) trying to justify Hughton's sacking (yet again)?
Nah, it's a footballing decision IMO. Keeping Hughton made any progression look unlikely and relegation a very real possibility. TB doesn't want the club to regress so he's done what he thinks is best to take things forward. Doubt we'll exit those players - at least not initially. GP will get the chance to see if he can get something out of them. Expect one or two to go in January rather than the summer if he can't. In the meantime we'll bring in others - striker, RB and CAM as priorities, plus replacement of anyone we do happen to lose.
Definition on CEO
4mins WH yet Rhi u

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Interspersed by 6 minutes of ads and traffic news, every 15 minutes.

A waste of precious time listening to all that dirge. I unhooked myself and now listen to music.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Just wait for Ali J to actually have some runners and options ahead of him. His first touch is one of the best. The team was too static for him.

What? His first touch is worse than CMS
Unbelievable opinion seriously

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
As I watch the vast majority of out games on TV rather than in the stadium, it's hard for me to judge Jahanbaksh's pace (or lack thereof). When he signed speed was touted as one of his strengths. Has he really looked slow for us? Did he bulk up in preparation for playing in a more physical league, thereby sacrificing a a bit of pace?

He is not quick and his first touch is desperate
His display at Everton was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from an Albion player.
He has a couple of ok games and a lot of poor ones.
I just don’t see him improving

But I could be proved very wrong indeed

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here