Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Ian Holloway on Talksport

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Okay, Barber's statement was "We felt CH didn't get the best out of the new signings"

So we broke our transfer record for a player who wasn't any better, in fact worse than what we already had, then scapegoat CH because AJ was dog turd, brilliant..

P.S. The jury is still out on AJ but you can only judge on what you see, CH gave him enough chances to shine.

Very true, I agree with all that you have said. I do wonder why no one else sees it that way...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd heard that Ali J was fantastic in training and made an unanswerable case for being in the team but then disappointed in matches. It would partly explain why he got so many starts.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I'd heard that Ali J was fantastic in training and made an unanswerable case for being in the team but then disappointed in matches. It would partly explain why he got so many starts.

Seems to be the case.
However, agree with the general consensus that he is worryingly slow.
Surely he wasn't faster in training?!

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
SiriusXFM channel Sirius FC just had Gary O’Reilly and Andy Naylor on - nothing new, Naylor reiterated his surprise at the dismissal and said that Chris had met his season objective of keeping the club up. Also discussed the level of risk associated with the Potter appointment. A lot of discussion about getting more out of the players, especially in forward areas.
ebb7eaff0f25de113d3ead80e3ae1618.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
GP needed at least another two seasons in the Championship I feel it is too early for him to step up, this cannot only ruin us but his reputation is on the line to. Hiring GP makes little sense to me at this point of time. The other things I see happening I like for example changing the way we recruit players, it's obvious that we got it wrong. Promoting people too early in their careers can have a catastrophic effect, let's see what happens.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Out of curiosity what did Poyet say after the first leg playoff game to make Holloway go on about not needing a team talk?
All I remember was a lot of fans being over confident after the 0-0 at there place.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He is not quick and his first touch is desperate

Others seem to say his first touch is excellent. From what I've seen on TV it hasn't looked noticeably poor.

His display at Everton was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from an Albion player.

Relatively speaking, I guess...

He has a couple of ok games and a lot of poor ones.
I just don’t see him improving

But I could be proved very wrong indeed

Let's hope so! :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
SiriusXFM channel Sirius FC just had Gary O’Reilly and Andy Naylor on - nothing new, Naylor reiterated his surprise at the dismissal and said that Chris had met his season objective of keeping the club up. Also discussed the level of risk associated with the Potter appointment. A lot of discussion about getting more out of the players, especially in forward areas.
ebb7eaff0f25de113d3ead80e3ae1618.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a Stoke fan, you'd think Naylor would be a big fan of Potters.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Heard similar. Hopefully there is a player in there that Potter can find and break out.

Regardless of Ali J our entire season and Potters success relies on finding two decent strikers who will get a decent return over the summer. Glen as much as we love him can’t be relied on to produce again and nothing suggested that Andone is the answer on his own up front.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Maybe because in training he was attacking and setting up goals, but when the match was played he was asked to defend.

Ali J was signed to score and create goals. He did that in Holland more than anyone else last season on right side of a front three with a defensive midfielder and full back behind him. Did he defend much in Holland? Did he ****!

I didn’t see him in his favoured position or system all season. Added to his reputation for being gash in his first season at new clubs, I think it’s unfair for so many people to write him off. I just can’t recall him getting into many attacking positions. He is not a winger, he is not a right/left sided midfielder - perhaps our Harry will play him in his preferred position as a forward in a three on the right side.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Under Chris we finished 17th just a few places higher is worth several million more if Graham Potter has no new signings and finishes 14th that's 6 million more and covers cost of getting him in and paying us Chris's contract

And if we finish 18th?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
GP needed at least another two seasons in the Championship I feel it is too early for him to step up, this cannot only ruin us but his reputation is on the line to. Hiring GP makes little sense to me at this point of time. The other things I see happening I like for example changing the way we recruit players, it's obvious that we got it wrong. Promoting people too early in their careers can have a catastrophic effect, let's see what happens.

You'll never win anything with kids.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ali J was signed to score and create goals. He did that in Holland more than anyone else last season on right side of a front three with a defensive midfielder and full back behind him. Did he defend much in Holland? Did he ****!

I didn’t see him in his favoured position or system all season. Added to his reputation for being gash in his first season at new clubs, I think it’s unfair for so many people to write him off. I just can’t recall him getting into many attacking positions. He is not a winger, he is not a right/left sided midfielder - perhaps our Harry will play him in his preferred position as a forward in a three on the right side.

He made many passes that were executed so quickly people missed them. Then he fell over and everyone laughed.

I think he is a real quality player. I am hoping the new coach will be able to deploy his talents better.

In fact, I would be astonished if he doesn't. I sense a very good vibe about Potter. I am expecting that by October folk will be swooning about 'best ever Albion performance' after a well crafted win somewhere like Everton away*

*yes, and when the fixtures come out, someone will point out our final game is Everton away. :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Word brother!
People definitely confuse wingers with wing backs with right sided midfielders with players who play wide in a front three.
Salah and Mane are not wingers. They are not wide midfielders. They are not wing backs or full backs. They are forwards who prefer playing in wide postions. Let's see what Ali J can do in his actual postion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had a listen to TalkSPort last night. I played 5 a side so my usual afternoon listening had long finished.

Simon Jordan was on talking about the Potter signing. I hate to admit it but he actually spoke very well about us as a club and football in general. Heard him a few times and wanted him to shut up. Last night I was a little impressed.

I played well for the first time in weeks so it may have been the euphoria getting the better of me

Endorphins.

Very more-ish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here