Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's players

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m not writing Gross off, but as he next to no pace, he’ll need to be surrounded by pace in our team. We were patently the slowest team in the PL, crikey it was painfully predictable to watch (and easy to coach against).

Yes been saying for a while, that our lack of pace killed us, however Gross is also very clever and knows when to make his move, arriving late to great effect.

Look at our results without him.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes been saying for a while, that our lack of pace killed us, however Gross is also very clever and knows when to make his move, arriving late to great effect.

Look at our results without him.....

To accommodate Gross, we may have to ditch Propper who equally has no pace. Something’s got to give, otherwise it will be a CH slow team mark II. Potter ain’t going to replicate that dirge.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just finished listening to the exemplary Potter special of the ‘Together: A Brighton & Hove Albion Podcast’.

This Podcast is about stats, figures and formations and is always well researched.

Lots of stuff about the previous experience and formations at Östersunds FK. Lots of talk about Wingback, Wingers and inside forwards.

Well worth listening too!

Here are the predictions from the podcast.

Not Potter Players:
Jahanbakhsh
Locadia
Knockeart
Stephens? (Could be moved to back 3)
Pröpper
Montoya
Murray
Groß

Potter Players:
Andone
Connolly
Gyökeres
Bernardo
McBurnie (coming soon)
Sanders
Kayal
Bissouma
March
Izquierdo

Potter Shopping List:

2 x Strikers
2 x Wingers (pacey)
1 x Right Wing back
1 x Centre Midfielder

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just finished listening to the exemplary Potter special of the ‘Together: A Brighton & Hove Albion Podcast’.

This Podcast is about stats, figures and formations and is always well researched.

Lots of stuff about the previous experience and formations at Östersunds FK. Lots of talk about Wingback, Wingers and inside forwards.

Not Potter Players:
Jahanbakhsh
Locadia
Knockeart
Pröpper
Montoya
Murray
Groß

Potter Players:
Andone
Connolly
Gyökeres
Bernardo
McBurnie (coming soon)
Sanders
Kayal
Bissouma
March
Izquierdo

Potter Shopping List:

2 x Strikers
2 x Wingers (pacey)
1 x Right Wing back
1 x Centre Midfielder

What about Dunk and Duffy? Not mentioned in the podcast or just missed off your post? For me Dunk IS a Potter player and Duffy isn't. That thought has ruffled a few feathers though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not Potter Players:
Jahanbakhsh
Locadia
Knockeart
Pröpper
Montoya
Murray
Groß

Potter Players:
Andone
Connolly
Gyökeres
Bernardo
McBurnie (coming soon)
Sanders
Kayal
Bissouma
March
Izquierdo

Potter Shopping List:

2 x Strikers
2 x Wingers (pacey)
1 x Right Wing back
1 x Centre Midfielder

Muzza won’t be leaving. Although he may well end up being a sub, the bloke has PL goals in him, which is a rarity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What about Dunk and Duffy? Not mentioned in the podcast or just missed off your post? For me Dunk IS a Potter player and Duffy isn't. That thought has ruffled a few feathers though.

That might be the case in the medium to long term, but I'd be surprised if that's a decision Potter will come too over the next couple of months.
Much the same could be said for the rest of that list, which looks anything but the 'fresh start'.

Although I guess we didn't sign up to that so many on here will be able to carry on with their bilge fueled 'love of the club'.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Not Potter Players:
Jahanbakhsh
Locadia
Knockeart
Pröpper
Montoya
Murray
Groß

Potter Players:
Andone
Connolly
Gyökeres
Bernardo
McBurnie (coming soon)
Sanders
Kayal
Bissouma
March
Izquierdo

Potter Shopping List:

2 x Strikers
2 x Wingers (pacey)
1 x Right Wing back
1 x Centre Midfielder

If Propper and Stephens really don't fit in then I'd suggest Potter would want 3 CMs in. Seems a big ask.
Also, If Montoya isn't a 'Potter player' we need two RBs, RWBs...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
One of the things it's worth remembering is that Potter hardly played 3 at the back last year.
Given his thoughtful approach to the game, I dare say we have NO IDEA what his preferred formation will be next season until he has assessed the league and our players fully.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One of the things it's worth remembering is that Potter hardly played 3 at the back last year.
Given his thoughtful approach to the game, I dare say we have NO IDEA what his preferred formation will be next season until he has assessed the league and our players fully.

Form what I’ve heard, he plays to the player’s strengths rather than imposing a system they’d struggle with (Hyypia style).

However, I’m confident he’ll have the players for whatever system he wants to play come the beginning of the season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The podcast did not really focus on central defenders. I got the impression that the podcaster took it for granted that we were well stocked and that they’d adapt to Potter’s style. In essence, it seems the 3 centre backs are there to defend because all the other players are attack focused.

Some really interesting attacking Östersunds FK formations discussed where Potter targets the flanks and plays a 3-5-2 as follows:

————————-Keeper———————

——————CB——CB——CB—————-

Wingback-Winger-CM-Winger-Wingback

———————No.10—————————
—————————No.9————————

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Form what I’ve heard, he plays to the player’s strengths rather than imposing a system they’d struggle with (Hyypia style).

However, I’m confident he’ll have the players for whatever system he wants to play come the beginning of the season.

The beginning of next season? Don't think so - whoever our manager is, players who are better than what we've got will cost, and can only be brought in gradually. If he's got the players he wants after three transfer windows he will be lucky.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The podcast did not really focus on central defenders. I got the impression that the podcaster took it for granted that we were well stocked and that they’d adapt to Potter’s style. In essence, it seems the 3 centre backs are there to defend because all the other players are attack focused.

Some really interesting attacking Östersunds FK formations discussed where Potter targets the flanks and plays a 3-5-2 as follows:

————————-Keeper———————

——————CB——CB——CB—————-

Wingback-Winger-CM-Winger-Wingback

———————No.10—————————
—————————No.9————————

I think not discussing centre backs is a very large omission. In that formation particularly, your CBs are your only real defenders. We have Burn who is good but raw, Balogun in his 30s and dodgy in the air and then D&D. Remember Duffy in the back 3 against Chelsea in the first PL season? Absolute car crash. And I think the caster is right that Montoya is not a GP player so that formation there means we’re recalling Schelotto and playing him RWB [emoji33]

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The beginning of next season? Don't think so - whoever our manager is, players who are better than what we've got will cost, and can only be brought in gradually. If he's got the players he wants after three transfer windows he will be lucky.

Reread my post.

I was saying that he’ll have the players he needs to play the system of his choice (unlike Hyypia had). For example, if he wants to play with wing backs, we’ll have a stock of players capable of this at his disposal come August.

He obviously won’t have the best possible players he’d like in each position which is what your alluding too (and I agree with your timescales).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here