Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's players

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I reckon there could well be a lot of business done late on in the transfer window, as it will take Potter time to fully assess the squad and work out who isn't up to scratch. May be an interesting deadline day...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Aside from the U23s you mention, we also have Baluta, Mac Allister, and Mlakar joining up with the squad, hopefully.

..... cough ............. work permits?

See also: Tau, Percy.

Baluta is Romanian and Mlakar is Slovenian. Whilst we remain in the EU, they don't need work permits.

Mac Allister seems to be eligible for a UK ancestry visa, so (if true) a work permit won't be needed (EU member or not)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
In the context of our 25 man squad without departures we don't have too much room for incomings unless they are HGP.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have been following Potter for three years and wont stop now, so Brighton will be new hobby.

Goalkeeper wise, Potter needs someone who is great with his feet. Arguably both ÖFK and Swansea had better shot stoppers available, but he consistently went for the keeper with the best feet. Part of Potters ideology is to play from the back, making the other team create pressure and to use the available spaces in midfield. You need a keeper capable of cooping with pressure from opponents. From what I've heard, you have a great goalie, but not in this sense so it will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

He didnt get to do it in Swansea as we had only two central defenders for the majority of the season, but Potter likes playing with three central defenders against tougher opponents. All of the defenders (though there could be somewhat of an exception with one of the CBs) needs to have the technical/passing skill to play themselves out of pressure. Historically almost every Potter central defender has been above 6'2 in height as it allows you to play a smaller team in general.

Midfield wise Potter in 99% of the games goes for three central players, one attacker, one defensive playmaker and one cleaner, but the balance could change depending on opposition.

For wingers, Potter use quick technical players who can carry the ball. They also need to have the work rate since when Potter teams lose the ball in the opposing half, they want to win it back quickly (and if they fail, fall back). Historically this is the role where Potter has created the most amount of talent. Saman Ghoddos, Ken Sema and Hosam Aiesh in ÖFK, Daniel James and the rebirth of Wayne Routledge in Swansea.

For central forward, Potter usually only uses one (though two does happen), and its always a tall player. Rather than having one that scores a lot of goals, the primary objective of the forward is to create spaces for others. When ÖFK went to the Europa League, they used Alhaji Gero as striker, and he scored just six goals in 56 appearances. McBurnie essentially had the same role in Swansea, often dropping to the midfield or wings in order to create space for wingers and midfielders. However Oli was also great in front of goal. Some Swansea fans dont believe he is PL class, but I beg to differ. Would be a very good signing for Brighton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In the context of our 25 man squad without departures we don't have too much room for incomings unless they are HGP.
We have 17 non-HGPs including Ahannach, Suttner and Schelotto. Maximum of 17 in the squad.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
In fairness he is undoubtedly going to play with a younger/fresher team. But no new manager will walk into a PL job without clear understanding that he will have support from above to get new players in to make the team competitive..

CH alluded to need for new striker/s and new no 10 at the end of the season. It was also clear that a new RB and CM (possibly would be needed) and maybe replacement for Izquierdo if injured until xmas.. Assuming that approach to recruitment was still being implemented you are looking at 4-5 players which is not whole sale or sweeping changes just supplementary additions to strengthen squad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have been following Potter for three years and wont stop now, so Brighton will be new hobby.

Goalkeeper wise, Potter needs someone who is great with his feet. Arguably both ÖFK and Swansea had better shot stoppers available, but he consistently went for the keeper with the best feet. Part of Potters ideology is to play from the back, making the other team create pressure and to use the available spaces in midfield. You need a keeper capable of cooping with pressure from opponents. From what I've heard, you have a great goalie, but not in this sense so it will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

He didnt get to do it in Swansea as we had only two central defenders for the majority of the season, but Potter likes playing with three central defenders against tougher opponents. All of the defenders (though there could be somewhat of an exception with one of the CBs) needs to have the technical/passing skill to play themselves out of pressure. Historically almost every Potter central defender has been above 6'2 in height as it allows you to play a smaller team in general.

Midfield wise Potter in 99% of the games goes for three central players, one attacker, one defensive playmaker and one cleaner, but the balance could change depending on opposition.

For wingers, Potter use quick technical players who can carry the ball. They also need to have the work rate since when Potter teams lose the ball in the opposing half, they want to win it back quickly (and if they fail, fall back). Historically this is the role where Potter has created the most amount of talent. Saman Ghoddos, Ken Sema and Hosam Aiesh in ÖFK, Daniel James and the rebirth of Wayne Routledge in Swansea.

For central forward, Potter usually only uses one (though two does happen), and its always a tall player. Rather than having one that scores a lot of goals, the primary objective of the forward is to create spaces for others. When ÖFK went to the Europa League, they used Alhaji Gero as striker, and he scored just six goals in 56 appearances. McBurnie essentially had the same role in Swansea, often dropping to the midfield or wings in order to create space for wingers and midfielders. However Oli was also great in front of goal. Some Swansea fans dont believe he is PL class, but I beg to differ. Would be a very good signing for Brighton.

Thanks for chipping in!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Interesting.

Does anyone know how good Christian Walton is with his feet?

Also, Playing with a loan, tall centre forward, sounds like Andone might struggle for game Time. Perhaps we'll move him on for a quick profit.

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012

Thanks for the considered view above and interesting to hear more about Graham Potter's preferred style of play and players.

Looks like Many Ryan could be dipping out....... I also wonder if Shane Duffy's "bulldozer" style will be to his liking for a centre back? His short passing game has not been a strength and so I wonder if there might be changes afoot there? (By the way, I think that Shane Duffy has been great for us and his partnership with Lewis Dunk has been excellent)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Beram Kayal, played all of his best football for us, as a defensive shield in front of a back four. He has looked much less convincing playing further forward under Hughton. Someone who can break play up and swiftly move the ball onto nippy ball carriers, should not be written off just yet.

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
I think Ryan is actually the perfect GK for Potter’s style of football. Ryan has played this style his whole career, at Valencia and Club Brugge, up until he joined us and was instructed to stay on his line and become purely a shot stopper.

E.g:

I’m predicting that next season is Ryan’s best-ever season for us and he becomes a revelation under Potter.

Last edited:

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think Ryan is actually the perfect GK for Potter’s style of football. Ryan has played this style his whole career, at Valencia and Club Brugge, up until he joined us and was instructed to stay on his line and become purely a shot stopper.

E.g:

I’m predicting that next season is Ryan’s best-ever season for us and he becomes a revelation under Potter.

Links not working?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Count Dan James out.

Brian Owen just tweeted that we are keen to bring him but James doesn't want to come

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here