Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fallout from Hughton sacking: notice we've suddenly become hated and ridiculed by neutrals

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Anyone else a bit disturbed by this?

At first there was a bit of a fallout in the media because let's face it, understandably, to those outside our club it was a shock - plus Chris Hughton as we ALL know is a genuinely lovely man.

But it hasn't stopped. In fact it's got worse. It's quite a revelatory thing to see, just how ignorant and uninformed the average person is who comments, be it in life generally or in news articles etc. eg the comments here:

[tweet]1130501166213808128[/tweet]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48340989

It's the way people have casually and easily latched on to a media narrative, and just rabbit it on repeat as there own opinion: "wow how deluded are the Brighton fans and board? lol Chris Hughton is a great manager who had no money to spend and they sacked him for this guy? (Potter), hope they go down", "you reap what you sow Brighton fans" etc.

I've seen our fans repeatedly and calmly mention the fact that actually Hughton had money and of our 3 wins in 23, hardly shots on target etc. But people just don't seem to get it.

People are just incredibly ignorant aren't they? And this is just football!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why, at the moment, does every other thread require a simple:-

'no'

for a reply.

It's @Dr No I feel sorry for, he must be working around the clock.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Been slowly more and more disliked the last 10 years since we gained 20k fans really.

Had a lot of goodwill after our struggles but seem to be disliked and not taken seriously all over the country now.

Means nothing though does it.

We don't take MK Dons or Reading seriously but I'm sure to their fans they don't give a monkeys

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No, duh!

Albion sacked a good man who never got relegated with his former team. Some would say that is a greater accomplishment than what Citeh is doing since they have such proven players and are not that likely to fall.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Genuinely haven't heard anything negative from people. General consensus seems to be we were worse than last year, just stayed up by the skin of our teeth and played crap football.

Wasn't so long ago everyone else was allegedly disliking us for our style of play and said we didn't deserve to be in the Prem.

Which is it?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's the way people have casually and easily latched on to a media narrative, and just rabbit it on repeat as there own opinion: "wow how deluded are the Brighton fans and board? lol Chris Hughton is a great manager who had no money to spend and they sacked him for this guy? (Potter), hope they go down", "you reap what you sow Brighton fans" etc.
"wow how deluded are the xxx fans and board? lol xxx is a great manager who had no money to spend and they sacked him for this guy? (xxx), hope they go down", "you reap what you sow xxx fans" etc."

Pretty similar to what might be said on here when one of our rivals ditches a manager. Except most on NSC have more taste than to use 'lol'.

D

Deleted member 2719

This hated by neutrals, has been evident for sometime now and it was born from parking the bus and boring football that Hughton provided.
The good news now is uncle Tony spotted this and has put a fix in place called Potter, I expect to see a turnaround of respect for the brand of Brighton and Hove Albion over the next few years and a proud buzz around the city and beyond.

Up the Albion.:albion2::bhasign:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"hated and ridiculed" really? because we done the same as many clubs in pass year and changed manager. when we scraped through staying up. i'd ignore anyone ridiculing us, they dont know much about football.

D

Deleted member 2719

Anyone else a bit disturbed by this?

At first there was a bit of a fallout in the media because let's face it, understandably, to those outside our club it was a shock - plus Chris Hughton as we ALL know is a genuinely lovely man.

But it hasn't stopped. In fact it's got worse. It's quite a revelatory thing to see, just how ignorant and uninformed the average person is who comments, be it in life generally or in news articles etc. eg the comments here:

[tweet]1130501166213808128[/tweet]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48340989

I've seen our fans repeatedly and calmly mention the fact that actually Hughton had money and of our 3 wins in 23, hardly shots on target etc. But people just don't seem to get it.

People are just incredibly ignorant aren't they? And this is just football!

I forgot to add in my post, feck off palarse you sad person.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I mentioned this on the other thread about about Potters 4 year deal

"I have just read the HYS under the BBC article. I know I shouldn't, it is depressing, Not because of what they are saying "hope they get relegated", "why replace Houghton" (yes spelt wrong) but that every time I read these posts on any articles I realise how depressingly thick and bitter a portion of the population is.

To me a clever person is someone who realises they don't know everything. A thick person is too thick to realise they don't know everything and spouts rubbish as fact."

So, I would not worry about it

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Been slowly more and more disliked the last 10 years since we gained 20k fans really.

Had a lot of goodwill after our struggles but seem to be disliked and not taken seriously all over the country now.

Means nothing though does it.

We don't take MK Dons or Reading seriously but I'm sure to their fans they don't give a monkeys

If it wasn't for your 20,000 posts I could almost believe you were Palace with your line about gaining 20k fans. Are you forgetting the previous 20 years of mismanagement, homelessness and decline where we lost 20k fans? Oh hang on that balances out in terms of decline and growth - what a surprise?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I mentioned this on the other thread about about Potters 4 year deal

"I have just read the HYS under the BBC article. I know I shouldn't, it is depressing, Not because of what they are saying "hope they get relegated", "why replace Houghton" (yes spelt wrong) but that every time I read these posts on any articles I realise how depressingly thick and bitter a portion of the population is.

To me a clever person is someone who realises they don't know everything. A thick person is too thick to realise they don't know everything and spouts rubbish as fact."

So, I would not worry about it

The BBC football comments make me have serious doubts about humanity. Best avoided.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here