Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    If they hate us, then surely, by definition they’re not “neutral”?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

2 Not allowed!
      A lot of people believe we'll drop like a lead balloon (as do a notable few on these boards). That CH was almost too good for the club and 'how dare we sack him'. We may struggle and we may get relegated, I don't believe we will but there is that chance.

However to the well informed it was apparent that relegation under the stewardship of CH was a distinct possibility. Coupled with the brand of football produced and how he seemed unable to get any quality out of a well funded squad. To many and most importantly to our Chairman a change was needed.

Let the neutrals have there say, I for one am glad for this positive appointment and hopeful of the rewards. Here's to Graham Potter and him stuffing their negativity down their throats.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I can get that people aren't happy about the decision based on Hughton being a good guy. Hell I'm not 100% sure it's a great move.

But I do have an issue with the "delusions of grandeur" stuff I've seen. I don't think a team even of our size would count having more than 1 shot on target per average over 7-8 games as being a "delusion of grandeur", especially when we're playing against other teams of a similar level.

Am I watching Brighton or Barcelona?
      Members the right footed denilson's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      And if we start the season even slightly well we'll be media darlings and Potter will be declared the next England manager.
      How long? Not long
      Because what you reap, is what you sow.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Suddenly?
      You're on here so much, you thought you were on your own forum.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

1 Not allowed!
      This ‘hatred’ is by a very very vocal minority of keyboard warriors on the Internet. It’s easy to say how much you despise another team online (plenty on here have voiced their grievances towards certain clubs) but in person it’s a different story. Met a Saints fan and a few wolves fans last Saturday and none of them ‘hated’ us. They were just curious how I felt and I think they got a better appreciation of our situation, the wolves fan agreed our performance was poor.

I think when you’re in the EPL you’re in the limelight and for an unknown entity like Brighton, the first assumption is ‘relegation fodder’. The #teamslikebrighton schtick is because the mindset is that Brighton should be a given because we are favourites to be relegated both seasons. Honestly I don’t think that attitude would have changed if Hughton had stayed. Just ask anyone who criticised the sacking whether they’d have placed Brighton above the relegation zone next season if Hughton was still in charge, guarantee very few would have. Neutrals LOVE Hughton but theyd love him in the championship too. I think actually quite a lot of the media has actually defended our choice, saying we were in the right for sacking Chris, but the more bitter are unhappy that we seemed to do it in such a callous way.

Some of the comments I’ve seen are totally legitimate, a couple have kind of cottoned on to what TB is like, but they are a bit worried that he’s trying to be a ‘bit too clever’, others are just disappointed in the manner Chris was sacked. A few are respectful of the fact we are trying to keep off the manager merry-go-round with the usual suspects, but understandably cautious that we’re taking a gamble on Potter, who is a complete unknown. Of course, some just want us to go down cause we’re a runty little club that should know our place...as if that ever stopped Plucky.

TL;DR don’t form your opinions based on what you’ve seen on the internet.
      For Sussex will be Sussex,
      And Sussex won't be druv!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maltaseagull View Post
      Exactly!

We often had 30,000 at the Goldstone in the Mullery years and after.
      Before @Return of the Rev gets a hard-on, it's worth pointing out that during the Mullery years, we had just EIGHT 30,000+ attendances, with NONE during our time in the top flight
      The definitive archive of Albion programmes

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hiney View Post
      Before @Return of the Rev gets a hard-on, it's worth pointing out that during the Mullery years, we had just EIGHT 30,000+ attendances, with NONE during our time in the top flight
      Yes, but where were they all in the wilderness years? Most would appear to have been fans of football, rather than supporters of the club.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dejavuatbtn View Post
      Yes, but where were they all in the wilderness years? Most would appear to have been fans of football, rather than supporters of the club.
      From memory didn't the Goldstone capacity get reduced to about 10000 due to safety issues?

Not sure 20,000 fans of any club would travel 70 miles each way for a home game.
      Are we STILL of the opinion that the only real fans are those who supported the club in the late 1990s?

I am clearly a plastic fan as I was so upset at the state of the Goldstone in 1996/97 that I stopped going. (I always had to work Saturdays so could only make evening games )
      My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

My definition of a sad git is any Palarse fan who has posted more than 100 times on NSC.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hiney View Post
      Typical. You can prove anything with facts.

But this is indicative of the whole media and twitter sh*tstorm that has suddenly descended on us - almost all of it based on ignorance and some of it driven by certain journalists' agendas. Most of those criticising the Albion's sacking of CH have never seen us play beyond a few lowlights on MotD. Most of those criticising the Potter appointment looked only at the Championship table and not at the 16 players Swansea sold last summer. And some writers have, as has been pointed out here, decided that there is a racial motive behind it, as if Chris had suddenly become black fours years into his tenure, or TB had only just noticed. Perhaps they'd enjoy being accused of anti-semitism because of their attacks on our club - which would be about as relevant. Ignorance, as ever, is the enemy.
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.