Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brave", "a risk" and "I can see it going horribly wrong"...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The pundits would have been just as certain we were going down if we’d stuck with CH. I’m not a little bit surprised they think it after the appointment of a relatively unknown manager with no PL experience. We are and were favourites to go down because we are PL imposters, end of.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s exactly the thread title.:shrug:

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist?

It’s calculated, informed, researched, but it’s still brave and still a huge risk, it could go horribly wrong, we don’t know because GP is untried at this level. We’ll have to wait and see, not losing my shit because people are stating the obvious on the radio.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
What is there to disagree with? They make the reasonable point that Brighton is set up as a defensive unit currently with Dunk & Duffy as outstanding CBs. Changing that to a high press, free flowing team looks a bit of a stretch and requires some good recruitment, with possibility of at least one of D&D moving on. Frankly, cannot see what is bollox about that. Perfect sense IMO but a change that is required as the CH way has been found wanting. Of course it is a risk but less than keeping CH would have been.

Interested to know what the reasoning is behind this? Hughton's form figures are 1 1 in terms of keeping us up. Potter has no form at all, and proposes to play a more aggressive style of football which widens the range of possible outcomes in terms of the final points total. How is that not *more* of a risk?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well we didn’t win one game last season with a swagger about us. Let’s hope GP can give us something to cheer about personally I think he will be a major success with his tactics and technically better players I’m now optimistic for the new season.

ManUtd, Palace at home? ???

el punal

It's quite amazing in Twitter the amount of other teams fans, slagging off our club for sacking CH, and, they can't even spell his name correctly.

Other teams’ fans have not watched Brighton play 30+ games this season, other teams’ fans did not see the trilogy of horror of Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff matches. Other teams’ fans did not hear Spurs supporters condemning our tactics of trying to earn a 0-0 draw.

I did, and so did thousands of other Brighton fans. We know why, they don’t.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Interested to know what the reasoning is behind this? Hughton's form figures are 1 1 in terms of keeping us up. Potter has no form at all, and proposes to play a more aggressive style of football which widens the range of possible outcomes in terms of the final points total. How is that not *more* of a risk?

Yep.

I still think we have more chance of finishing 10th in the PL in 2 seasons’ time under Potter than we would have done under Hughton. But also a greater chance of finishing 10th in the Championship.

The very definition of “more risk”.

Not a good thing, not a bad thing - just a thing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought it was a pretty good summation.

It’s an unknown quantity. The signs are all good, but it’s a risk.

It will depend on a) the transfer business b) how the present purchases integrate with the new manager/system b) whether we can get our dev squad coming through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No mention of the academy, England “DNA”, Dan Ashworth and the promotion of young players by Potter at Swansea. I feel they’ve missed the point somewhat.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Other teams’ fans have not watched Brighton play 30+ games this season, other teams’ fans did not see the trilogy of horror of Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff matches. Other teams’ fans did not hear Spurs supporters condemning our tactics of trying to earn a 0-0 draw.

I did, and so did thousands of other Brighton fans. We know why, they don’t.

This is argued a lot on here as if a) there aren't any fans who were very disappointed last Monday, feel that other issues (recruitment, budgets, injuries) contributed to the poor 2nd half of the season and Bloom should have stuck with Hughton for another season. There are. Plenty of them. b) there couldn't possibly be any journalists , pundits, ex players who are fully aware of Albion's form this season, have seen Albion play - a lot, and know Hughton's strengths/weaknesses. There are. Plenty of them.

So of course its quite the gamble. Potter, despite all his promise and track record (which is obviously impressive) , has never managed in the Premier League, he's taking over a team struggling to find form, has a squad with some serious underperformers and will have a limited budget/wages to transform them in time for next season.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Good appointment I think. Potter is a bright and imaginative coach. Much now depends on the recruitment and whether or not Bloom is willing to be a little more flexible in the player’s wage structure. The noises coming out of the club suggest that won’t happen and that is a concern. This is the richest league in the world and do it on the cheap is ultimately unsustainable. In general, you get what you pay for in the Premier League.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s exactly the thread title.:shrug:

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist?

It’s calculated, informed, researched, but it’s still brave and still a huge risk, it could go horribly wrong, we don’t know because GP is untried at this level. We’ll have to wait and see, not losing my shit because people are stating the obvious on the radio.

Out of interest does anyone know if matey-boy at Southampton's appointment was viewed so negatively?

The similarities between the 2 situations are very striking.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Quite simply, all of our players are pox, and now we have a useless unknown to manage them.

Fourteenth next season, then.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Out of interest does anyone know if matey-boy at Southampton's appointment was viewed so negatively?

The similarities between the 2 situations are very striking.

Hussen... who took Ingostat into the Bungesliga, kept them there, then took Leipzig to 3rd and a title challenge, as well as a varied club experience before that, a thorough varied CV with top flight experience and success, those similarities?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hussen... who took Ingostat into the Bungesliga, kept them there, then took Leipzig to 3rd and a title challenge, as well as a varied club experience before that, a thorough varied CV with top flight experience and success, those similarities?

Yep.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think most of us are aware that it could go horribly wrong and some are convinced it will too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here