Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brave", "a risk" and "I can see it going horribly wrong"...

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
They said Tony was the owner of Starlizard, what is Starlizard? From what I gather it is a betting consultancy which offer consumers an edge in football betting, but I thought that there were very strict rules on people being involved in sports betting and in being part of a football club, I’m very uneducated on this subject so may be completely wrong.

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
They said Tony was the owner of Starlizard, what is Starlizard? From what I gather it is a betting consultancy which offer consumers an edge in football betting, but I thought that there were very strict rules on people being involved in sports betting and in being part of a football club, I’m very uneducated on this subject so may be completely wrong.

Article on Starlizard from a couple of years ago:https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-story-star-lizard-tony-bloom-2016-2?r=UK

No idea how accurate/hyperbolic it is but it's interesting.

Never actually got a handle on where Bloom's money comes from, largely because I don't care given the effect it's had on the club, but all the stuff with Man City recently has got me thinking slightly (Not suggesting there is anything at all untoward in Tony but just on the ethical responsibility of knowing who you're supporting I guess)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What is there to disagree with? They make the reasonable point that Brighton is set up as a defensive unit currently with Dunk & Duffy as outstanding CBs. Changing that to a high press, free flowing team looks a bit of a stretch and requires some good recruitment, with possibility of at least one of D&D moving on. Frankly, cannot see what is bollox about that. Perfect sense IMO but a change that is required as the CH way has been found wanting. Of course it is a risk but less than keeping CH would have been.
Agreed. Up until your last sentence.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
Article on Starlizard from a couple of years ago:https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-story-star-lizard-tony-bloom-2016-2?r=UK

No idea how accurate/hyperbolic it is but it's interesting.

Never actually got a handle on where Bloom's money comes from, largely because I don't care given the effect it's had on the club, but all the stuff with Man City recently has got me thinking slightly (Not suggesting there is anything at all untoward in Tony but just on the ethical responsibility of knowing who you're supporting I guess)
Cheers, that is an interesting read and I was thinking along the same lines, It is rather odd that no one can put their finger on exactly how he’s made all his money, and that Starlizard employees are made to sign non disclosure agreements, and also the fact he doesn’t really take interviews, but who am I to question him. He’s probably just a closed off man.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What is there to disagree with? They make the reasonable point that Brighton is set up as a defensive unit currently with Dunk & Duffy as outstanding CBs. Changing that to a high press, free flowing team looks a bit of a stretch and requires some good recruitment, with possibility of at least one of D&D moving on. Frankly, cannot see what is bollox about that. Perfect sense IMO but a change that is required as the CH way has been found wanting. Of course it is a risk but less than keeping CH would have been.

the Hughton side was setu pto be a defensive unit. it may have escape some that we brought in a few wingers/attackers too many to be continuing with defensive 4-5-1. i dont see how Dunk and Duffy ability will be impaired having some defense/pressing up the pitch and less pressure. Dunk is far better than that anyway, Duffy still a tower in the air. immediate risks to front "two" of Gross and Murray who might not be suited for pressing game (though might surprise). dont see this as a problem elsewhere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
These pundits really need to up their game. In my book Phil Neville would have been far more of a risk, and yet his Man Utd credentials carry more weight with these idiots than taking an unknown club at the foot of the league in a foreign country into Europe, beating Arsenal and almost knocking treble winners City out of the Cup.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I don't see the high PRESS as the way to go. By all means do selective pressing in the wing areas and a certain times of the game, but chasing around like blue-arse flies is a waste of energy.

Deep defence 6-4-0 runs the risk of being undone by moments of skill, and bad rub of the green or mistakes under pressure.

We can improve both our passing and possession, and cut out losing the ball in our own half and being vulnerable to breakaways.

Double wing backs was a disaster under Hyypia, but I cannot see why we cannot play one wing-back at a time on the far side of play. I never understood why we needed two wingers as we can only play on one wing at a time.

But the problem last season was scoring from open play.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I’m so utterly bored of people underestimating Uncle Tony, plus he’s got Mr England DNA sitting on his lap these days. We’ll be alright.

Don’t worry we are little old Brighton and already pissed on their party by not being relegated in the last two seasons. Most people outside Brighton know naff all about the club, but somehow have an opinion.

Now hiring GP might turn out to be a disaster, but it looks to me this was a calculated risk and Tony Bloom has surrounded himself with people who know a lot about football. The more we get slagged off the more confident I am we will be fine.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well we didn’t win one game last season with a swagger about us. Let’s hope GP can give us something to cheer about personally I think he will be a major success with his tactics and technically better players I’m now optimistic for the new season.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The last GP we hired as head coach was a bit of a gamble, but he transformed the football we played and made the rest of the division look silly, I think we have just acquired a manager that could also be as transforming.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
They just don’t get it! I’d rather we swashbuckle our way to relegation then endure 3.4,5 seasons of attritional dire football! Knowing the result would ultimately be the same. There is life outside the Premier League FFS. The King is dead. Long live the King!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the money, though, and Tony Bloom cares much about that. Or he wouldn't have spent so much to get there. He's still recouping his Championship losses.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The Totally Football Show podcast today provides a far more informed, positive view of the appointment, which just highlights further how shyte many of the ex player pundits are in terms of spouting opinion based on no research whatsoever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here