Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast

Article - Football Changed and Chris Hughton Didnít Keep Up

56 Not allowed!
    Opinion piece on why I think Hughton went (with the benefit of hindsight re Potter) and what it is that the new man represents.

https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...dn%92t-Keep-Up

Again, just my opinion to stimulate discussion.
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      A good read. Can't fault it at all.
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Hemed, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Suttner

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Opinion piece on why I think Hughton went (with the benefit of hindsight re Potter) and what it is that the new man represents.

Let's hope there are no further dramatic announcements after this one.

12 Not allowed!
      Great piece. I think you’ve captured the feeling of unease, almost as though you were betraying your king, that many including myself felt when Hughton was beginning to show real signs of falling apart. Your observations surrounding the vast changes in football over such a short period also ring true - have to agree. With some who were and still are adamant that Hughton had to leave, and some who aren’t convinced he should have been sacked , in light of today’s appointment I believe it’s hugely important that everyone gets behind Potter as best we can. We have to bring the positivity, and help Bloom, Potter, Ashworth and all involved to achieve this vision, whilst keeping expectations reasonable.
      Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Good article although I suspect your decision not to support the team with your presence was more about your marathon the next day and those WSU steps.

I was a huge CH fan and defended him to the hilt during the post Xmas haranguing of him but in the cold light of day when you stand back and think what would I have felt if this was happening at another club, I would have no doubts that the manager should be replaced.

If GP takes us a far forward (or even half the distance) as CH did in his 4 years we will be in a good place.
      never forget what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti did

2 Not allowed!
      It's interesting that two of the top football journalists in the country - Henry Winter and Paul Hayward - criticised Bloom for sacking Hughton. There was no hint from either of them that Hughton is a football dinosaur and every suggestion he was still up to the job and had simply been a victim of other people's errors in the recruitment department.

Hughton has a proven track record in getting teams into the Championship play-offs. Personally, I think he could do the same at West Brom who missed out on promotion because they let too many goals in. If Hughton came in and added Bong and Kayal to that side I think they'd be a decent bet for promotion.

I'd add that managerial experience seems to count for something in the long slog that is the Championship, i.e. Neil Warnock, Steve Bruce, Tony Pulis, Mick McCarthy.
      Last edited by Pavilionaire; 20-05-2019 at 18:34.
      "Still a long way short of a batting bonus point "

1 Not allowed!
      Good read that, hard to disagree.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Excellent read.
      Timing was about the same for me. Always had faith in Chris until the spate of terrible performances V Burnley, Saints, BMuff and Cardiff and then I thought the first half of the Newcastle game was possibly the worst I have seen from Brighton since the dark days of the bottom division. I flew over for that game
      My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

My definition of a sad git is any Palarse fan who has posted more than 100 times on NSC.

0 Not allowed!
      Same reason why he’d struggle now in the Championship, it’s moved on there too

2 Not allowed!
      I think that the rest of the club had moved on to a more progressive way of playing (notably the recruitment team & U23s) and when CH tried to implement that philosophy mid-season - we failed.

I still think CH could have got us to at least 15th if backed with his types of signings but Potter could get us to Wolvesí level if things go well; thatís the difference. Will he? CH was the safer bet for me but TB has got to where he is today by rolling the dice and winning, time and time again.
      :guitar: