Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Thatcher : A Very British Revolution - BBC2 21:00 Tonight

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a treat from BBC2 tonight a new 5 part series starts on how Maggie made it to the top and what a fantastic Prime Minister she was.

This should be compelling viewing.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
She was awful and no chance watching that bollocks

Watch it, see if you change your view.

Sometimes it's quite interesting to revisit something you think you have a very clear and strong opinion on and see whether you still hold it. I'm sure the coverage of the "Winter of Discontent" will put into perspective how important it was that something had to be done. You may also see that some things she did were no different to what the next Labour government just continued doing rather than reversing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Remember when put school dinners out to the lowest bidder and kids milk was scrapped at breaktime, the nation’s health is still dealing with the consequences. She created a culture of greed and selfishness

Depeche Mode’s 1983 single Everything Counts summed up the era well…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-gK-9EIq4

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sometimes it's quite interesting to revisit something you think you have a very clear and strong opinion on and see whether you still hold it. I'm sure the coverage of the "Winter of Discontent" will put into perspective how important it was that something had to be done. You may also see that some things she did were no different to what the next Labour government just continued doing rather than reversing.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday–

– I warn you not to be ordinary

– I warn you not to be young

– I warn you not to fall ill

– I warn you not to get old.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She was awful and no chance watching that bollocks

Just because you don't agree with her politics doesn't mean it's not some history worth watching. I don't agree with Hitler but 'World at War' is one one the best documentary series I've ever watched.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

This. While even for those who agree with some of what she did, it is very difficult to agree with everything - its all about the balance of whether she was good for the country.

Plus, whether you agree with her or not, she pretty much represents, in my opinion, the last of a generation of politicians to actually hold and stick to their views rather play to the soundbites and focus group bulls**t that prevails today.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Thatcher's rise and prime ministerial tenure is a lesson from history; we can and must learn from it. I shall watch for that reason..... and however much I disagree with her politics (which is a lot!) I agree with Gordon Brown that she was a conviction politician.What a contrast to politicians like Boris Johnstone!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What a treat from BBC2 tonight a new 5 part series starts on how Maggie made it to the top and what a fantastic Prime Minister she was.

This should be compelling viewing.

I remember her only too well, quite apart from de-regulating my industry, which cost me my job at the time and then a downward spiral of earnings, my " Rates " jumped from £180 annually to magically become The Poll Tax which was £660 annually! Throw in the fact that she sold every State Asset she could in order to hang on to power at all cost and you can see her legacy everyday on the crowded, overpriced trains as we go to our minimum wage jobs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should be an interesting watch

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I don’t think anyone could agree with everything she did.

But she took absolutely no shit and had the courage of her convictions. Amidst all the debates of equality in modern society, she was a grocer’s daughter from a provincial town who rose to the top whilst we still hear about glass ceilings today.

As others have said, how we could do with a strong leader like her today. I can only imagine how the idiots who have led us into this Brexit mess would have coped with some of things she dealt with in the 80s.

She polarises opinions massively but she’s still in credit in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

None of which has anything to do with how good or bad she was. And she was awful.

All you've done is comment on Labour government issues, which we weren't talking about.

larus

It’s amazing how the left view her as the devil incarnate. What they singularly fail to accept is so many problems were caused by the militant unions. I remember one strike at a car plant because the company had the audacity to sack some night shift workers for SLEEPING when they were meant to be working.

Now, that is the shit state we were in when she came in. Sure, she made some mistakes with the community charge (but the rates system before that was despised too), so there is a lot of selective memories from so many.

She was what the country needed then and made a very positive impact to modernising the country. We were the sick man of Europe when she came in - trade union power being abused for political reasons and not to protect workers.

What I find amusing is that the lefties moan about thatcher and the rise of the City - but now moan about the ‘risk’ to losing the City because of Brexit. Can’t ever please the moaning left wingers. It’s always someone else’s fault :tantrum:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
None of which has anything to do with how good or bad she was. And she was awful.

All you've done is comment on Labour government issues, which we weren't talking about.

That’s nonsense.

Pretty everything on that post was to do with how good or bad she was. You seem to be of the opinion that everything she did was wrong. Do you remember the Winter of Discontent?

There is no doubt she made mistakes, but she got a hell of a lot right in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here