Page 79 of 150 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289129 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you think Dunk is worth £60million not the £45million reportedly bid?
    No, I didn't say that. I have always been careful never to put a monetary value on any player - the world of football finance is mad anyway.

BUT if you accept the premise that Dunk isn't as good as Maguire, then he has to be at least partly as good as him. Do you seriously think Maguire is worth two Dunks? Well, if you do, don't keep reading this ............. you'll only get yourself into a stupid argument you can't win!

Let's say Dunk isn't quite as good as Maguire, but nearly. Three quarters as good? Maybe - I'd say a bit more. But in terms of agreeing terms with Leicester (if that is what we do) then the fee has got to be linked with what they get for Maguire. If ManU get Maguire for £50M, our price for Dunk would start at £37.5M. If they get £80M, we'd want £60M. If ManU go mad and stump up £100M, then it's £75M for Dunk.

Not figures - percentages, and that's what our demands to Leicester should be. Is Maguire worth £80M? - no, probably not, but if that's what Leicester get for him, why should we let them keep half of it, or more? No, they can have Dunk (if he wants to go) and keep a quarter - not half - of the booty they get from ManU. That's nothing to do with whatever figure you - or anybody else - thinks Dunk's price should be.

Maguire's price - whatever. However much it is, it our price should be 75% of that (and not a penny less) to buy Dunk.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      No, I didn't say that. I have always been careful never to put a monetary value on any player - the world of football finance is mad anyway.

BUT if you accept the premise that Dunk isn't as good as Maguire, then he has to be at least partly as good as him. Do you seriously think Maguire is worth two Dunks? Well, if you do, don't keep reading this ............. you'll only get yourself into a stupid argument you can't win!

Let's say Dunk isn't quite as good as Maguire, but nearly. Three quarters as good? Maybe - I'd say a bit more. But in terms of agreeing terms with Leicester (if that is what we do) then the fee has got to be linked with what they get for Maguire. If ManU get Maguire for £50M, our price for Dunk would start at £37.5M. If they get £80M, we'd want £60M. If ManU go mad and stump up £100M, then it's £75M for Dunk.

Not figures - percentages, and that's what our demands to Leicester should be. Is Maguire worth £80M? - no, probably not, but if that's what Leicester get for him, why should we let them keep half of it, or more? No, they can have Dunk (if he wants to go) and keep a quarter - not half - of the booty they get from ManU. That's nothing to do with whatever figure you - or anybody else - thinks Dunk's price should be.

Maguire's price - whatever. However much it is, it our price should be 75% of that (and not a penny less) to buy Dunk.
      Wow.

So by that reckoning my car must be worth at least £500k for being half as quick as a Bugatti?

That's totally not how asset value works once you enter the top percentile of anything. If you think Dunk is 75% as good as Maguire, I'd have to argue that could even make Maguire worth three Dunks.
      For what it's worth I love Dunk, think he's amazing for us and hope he stays, but -removing Albion tinted glasses- concede Maguire is a chunk better than him.

From what I gather, it's just all media bulls**t anyway, and the value put on Dunk is meaningless as Leicester simply have him on a list with other viable replacements, (Tarkovski or that bloke in France we were sniffing around etc) many of which at this point look far more likely and cost effective than clawing Dunk out of our clenched fists for c£50m (100x the supposed value of my car).

Gazing into my crystal ball, I don't think Dunk leaves this window.

Apologies to the grammar/spelling police for any boo boos, it's too late and my head hurts. Night all.

1 Not allowed!
      If we sell Dunk to Leicester then in my opinion we are playing fast and loose with our chances of staying in the PL. Why would you sell one of your best players to a club of a similar size?
      Ok they won the PL once but they are in our bracket of club. It would say a lot about our ambition if we sell.
      This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Withdean and I View Post
      If we sell Dunk to Leicester then in my opinion we are playing fast and loose with our chances of staying in the PL. Why would you sell one of your best players to a club of a similar size?
      Ok they won the PL once but they are in our bracket of club. It would say a lot about our ambition if we sell.
      Leics aren't in our bracket imo. They are much more in the Everton/West Ham bracket. You wouldn't expect them to be flirting with relegation and I wouldn't be surprised if Leics make top 6 this season.

I don't think they'll go for Dunk anyway and if they were to then I think we should bite their hand off if the sort of money being talked about is accurate
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
      Leics aren't in our bracket imo. They are much more in the Everton/West Ham bracket. You wouldn't expect them to be flirting with relegation and I wouldn't be surprised if Leics make top 6 this season.

I don't think they'll go for Dunk anyway and if they were to then I think we should bite their hand off if the sort of money being talked about is accurate
      I wonder if they've pulled Dunks template from the 'put players name on shirt dept' in the club shop
      https://youtu.be/oCyXsHC-lQ4

@Brighton Lines "The MASSIVE shield: Amex Ruislip who thinks Sheffield Wednesday are 13th in the Premier League"
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Are the Argus changing tack about his chances of leaving?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/spo...k-39-s-future/
      Winners never quit and quitters never win -Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Are the Argus changing tack about his chances of leaving?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/spo...k-39-s-future/
      It just read to me a summary of all the media activity yesterday, including Naylor’s “must pay more” tweet.

There are a lot of things that need to happen first before our Tony even has to consider a silly money offer from Leicester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Withdean and I View Post
      They’re not......it’s a step up for him, and you can’t look at the decision in isolation - if the £45m or whatever, plus another chunk of the TV money, is invested in decent purchases (as I’d expect) then that’s not playing fast and loose. It’s cashing in on a remarkable offer and taking a calculated risk to improve the squad. So many factors to consider - keeping a disaffected player who wanted to leave for a bigger club/better England chance ? Not getting the striker we really need (45 big ones may change that market for us) ? Clark/Burn capable of stepping up (none of us have really seen what they’re capable of).........? Other CB targets already in our sights ?
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      They’re not......it’s a step up for him, and you can’t look at the decision in isolation - if the £45m or whatever, plus another chunk of the TV money, is invested in decent purchases (as I’d expect) then that’s not playing fast and loose. It’s cashing in on a remarkable offer and taking a calculated risk to improve the squad. So many factors to consider - keeping a disaffected player who wanted to leave for a bigger club/better England chance ? Not getting the striker we really need (45 big ones may change that market for us) ? Clark/Burn capable of stepping up (none of us have really seen what they’re capable of).........? Other CB targets already in our sights ?
      Is it a step up? We look to get something out of Leicester at home and possibly away in our two years in the PL.
      You make me

1 Not allowed!
      Dunk is only worth what any club will pay !