Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
?? Isn’t that just a list of the clubs targets. That have been reported multiple times this summer. And they are presumably working on. I trust they are , they’ve confirmed as much to credible reporters - not sure there’s much more anyone could do or say to persuade others that think they’re either sitting on their hands or are completely incompetent and not looking in the right places or leagues or for some, won’t cough up the right amount of ££.

Won’t cough up the right amount is my guess, which is why we don’t sign players with PL experience. Shame but I understand the thinking and it’s not my money.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
?? Isn’t that just a list of the clubs targets. That have been reported multiple times this summer. And they are presumably working on. I trust they are , they’ve confirmed as much to credible reporters - not sure there’s much more anyone could do or say to persuade others that think they’re either sitting on their hands or are completely incompetent and not looking in the right places or leagues or for some, won’t cough up the right amount of ££.

I think the issue is it’s an inflated market and the club are making noises about that already and do not seem keen on what they would deem to be overpaying in that market. So we are hunting for the diamond in the rough again which is high risk and could leave us short. The club still have time to address our short comings as a squad but if we fail to do that it will not be a market we will need to be worrying about shopping in next season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think the issue is it’s an inflated market and the club are making noises about that already and do not seem keen on what they would deem to be overpaying in that market. So we are hunting for the diamond in the rough again which is high risk and could leave us short. The club still have time to address our short comings as a squad but if we fail to do that it will not be a market we will need to be worrying about shopping in next season.

Yep. Brighton , for some good reasons, haven’t up til now , overextended themselves with prem league wages and transfer fees. That is likely to continue.
And they’ve also invested ££ in the academy and taken a punt on overseas players who might/might not ever play for us. As a tactic to develop either cash or talent.
That strategy hasn’t changed. Still Doesn’t mean we won’t mKe 3 or 4 more relatively expensive signings. We’ve just had £120m + turn up in the bank account again for staying in the league and there are gaps in the squad.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Yep. Brighton , for some good reasons, haven’t up til now , overextended themselves with prem league wages and transfer fees. That is likely to continue.
And they’ve also invested ££ in the academy and taken a punt on overseas players who might/might not ever play for us. As a tactic to develop either cash or talent.
That strategy hasn’t changed. Still Doesn’t mean we won’t mKe 3 or 4 more relatively expensive signings. We’ve just had £120m + turn up in the bank account again for staying in the league and there are gaps in the squad.

Absolutely bank on the money here

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Do you really think we're going to pay good money for (at least) 3-4 first team signings over the next 17 days?

I admire your positivity, but I thought you were supposed to be the pragmatic one.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Do you really think we're going to pay good money for (at least) 3-4 first team signings over the next 17 days?

I admire your positivity, but I thought you were supposed to be the pragmatic one.

unlikely.

Since Potter was employed its all about improving from within . Ashworth appointment as well.

We are unlikely to go large on 4 signings.

Still expect a 15m risk though

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It was a pedantic response to the OP who was implying that signings from the Belgium/Dutch leagues by us were always a bad idea

Do you think we should only sign players with premier league experience?.
That’s unlike you to be pedantic. Anyway, before you start misquoting me AGAIN, no, I don’t think we should only buy players with Premier League experience , but I think we’d benefit from signing some players with experience of Europe’s top leagues.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
unlikely.

Since Potter was employed its all about improving from within . Ashworth appointment as well.

We are unlikely to go large on 4 signings.

Still expect a 15m risk though

It's like a double whammy of naivety.

- We want to see ATTACKING football
- Let's do it on a strict budget

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That’s unlike you to be pedantic. Anyway, before you start misquoting me AGAIN, no, I don’t think we should only buy players with Premier League experience , but I think we’d benefit from signing some players with experience of Europe’s top leagues.

Are the top leagues - La Liga, Seria A , Bundesliga and the Premier League ?
Like Montoya ? Ryan ? Gross, Suttner, and Bernardo ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You edited your post to make the same point with the same players I was about to.

Didn't Murray, Bong, Button, Sidwell all come from PL teams or have very recent PL experience? Knockaert had played PL with Leicester. Andone came from La Liga. Hunemeier and Bruno.....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Unless your Spurs!, then all clubs strengthen their clubs in the summer window. All of them.
It would be highly unusual if we don't. And there's more than enough time.
There are also still gaps in the squad (right back, forward, possibly midfield) that need filling and its unlikely that we are going to rely on u23s to fill the gap or Suttner, Hemed etc.
And even with our attention to costs , we've still a relatively high budget left to spend on fees/wages.
And all credible reporting says we've been linked with players in all these areas so presumably working on deals behind the scenes.
So yes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It's ALWAYS an inflated market. Ever since the Arab money arrived and TV deals went through the roof transfers and wages have been insane. All that means is that we are not prepared to make a transfer that we consider is not value for money, nor will we break our wage structure. Given we are essentially bankrolled by a fan and that we have recent experience of nearly going under I think that's entirely sensible. Anyone expecting us to sign Neymar and Bale is going to be disappointed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You edited your post to make the same point with the same players I was about to.

Didn't Murray, Bong, Button, Sidwell all come from PL teams or have very recent PL experience? Knockaert had played PL with Leicester. Andone came from La Liga. Hunemeier and Bruno.....

yes...Rosenior, Duffy, Hemed, Balogun.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Unless your Spurs!, then all clubs strengthen their clubs in the summer window. All of them.
It would be highly unusual if we don't. And there's more than enough time.
There are also still gaps in the squad (right back, forward, possibly midfield) that need filling and its unlikely that we are going to rely on u23s to fill the gap or Suttner, Hemed etc.
And even with our attention to costs , we've still a relatively high budget left to spend on fees/wages.
And all credible reporting says we've been linked with players in all these areas so presumably working on deals behind the scenes.
So yes.

Fair enough, like I said I admire the positivity.

Personally, I think we will address a couple of areas (RB for sure and perhaps CM) without breaking the bank (perhaps 20M combined), then sign a couple more development players and we will be done.

We've already had signals out the club that we don't need a striker, and I'm repeatedly bombarded with the 'look from within' mantra. The latest being in the Dan Ashworth interview on player.

I very much hope I'm wrong and you are right.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Yes, they are the Leagues that I would consider to be Europe’s elite. I know we’re shopping at the B+M level here, and you are correct with the players you’ve listed, but let’s be real, Groß and Suttner were signed from relegated teams, Ryan was 3rd choice at Valencia and was signed from Belgium, Bernardo was actually signed from a competitive team in the Bundesliga and low and behold he’s a very good player. Montoya has the pedigree but he couldn’t even usurp Bruno.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair enough, like I said I admire the positivity.

Personally, I think we will address a couple of areas (RB for sure and perhaps CM) without breaking the bank (perhaps 20M combined), then sign a couple more development players and we will be done.

We've already had signals out the club that we don't need a striker, and I'm repeatedly bombarded with the 'look from within' mantra. The latest being in the Dan Ashworth interview on player.

I very much hope I'm wrong and you are right.

Its not positivity. Its realism.
They will be looking to fill the gaps in the squad - that is obvious. They are linked with players which effectively backs that up. The club or rather "a well placed source" , confirmed to Andy Naylor, only days ago that they are interested in Maupay for instance and have also confirmed interest in young expensive RBs like Bogle and Reece James.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If Dunk goes to Leicester now we are going to need some hugely positive news to keep the fans onside. Maybe the club will let us take our flasks again! :albion2:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, they are the Leagues that I would consider to be Europe’s elite. I know we’re shopping at the B+M level here, and you are correct with the players you’ve listed, but let’s be real, Groß and Suttner were signed from relegated teams, Ryan was 3rd choice at Valencia and was signed from Belgium, Bernardo was actually signed from a competitive team in the Bundesliga and low and behold he’s a very good player. Montoya has the pedigree but he couldn’t even usurp Bruno.

Bernardo - a good signing. Tick. Agreed.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's ALWAYS an inflated market. Ever since the Arab money arrived and TV deals went through the roof transfers and wages have been insane. All that means is that we are not prepared to make a transfer that we consider is not value for money, nor will we break our wage structure. Given we are essentially bankrolled by a fan and that we have recent experience of nearly going under I think that's entirely sensible. Anyone expecting us to sign Neymar and Bale is going to be disappointed.

Don’t disagree with that but there is a half way house between existing strategy and Neymar and Bale. We had a similar issue in the Gus era where he called out the clubs structure and policy as it was restricting. That model had a salary ceiling whereas he wanted to operate under a model where you could pay less in a fee but higher wages (Vicente being an example of that changed policy). Time will tell if the clubs policy pays off in the long term and will support whoever we bring through the doors but the direction of traffic for transfer fees and wages is only going one way so we restricting ourselves to shopping in a much smaller talent pool with higher gamble purchases.

For me I would rather one proven player at the combined price and salary of Locadia and Ali J than the quality we have got for smaller fees for both. So outlay on starting 11 quality and supplement the squad with youth development to manage costs would be my preferred approach.

So I don’t think we should go all out palace but think you need to be more flexible in this market if you want the quality to survive at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here