Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A conditional offer was put forward and rejected. No idea why Naylor is claiming zero contact to date, unless he is playing with word semantics, or in return for his privileged contact access to Club he has been asked to chuck out a smokescreen.

Shouldn’t you stick to transfers in....oh hang on

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A conditional offer was put forward and rejected. No idea why Naylor is claiming zero contact to date, unless he is playing with word semantics, or in return for his privileged contact access to Club he has been asked to chuck out a smokescreen.

Another opportunity for Wedgee to embarrass himself pretending to have inside info (as well as being a millionaire, obvs)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The point that is missed is that we are under no obligation to give Leicester Value For Money.

In fact, it is the opposite. They need to give us an Offer We Can't Refuse.

Exactly - they can't expect to get a king's ransom for Maguire and then replace him with a player almost as good for half the price, and pocket the rest. The higher they push the price for Maguire (if somebody actually pays it) the higher the price for his replacement. If that is Dunk, we should settle for nothing less than 75% of what Leicester get for Maguire.

Is Dunk worth it? Is Maguire worth it? No idea - but the numbers being bandied around seem ridiculous to me anyway. But - is Dunk worth 75% of what Maguire is worth? Absolutely, in spades.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This thread is now closing in on 1000 posts, and starting to challenge the legendary likes of Jonathan Callieri, Michael Owen and Andrei Kanchelskis...

Good work Team NSC! :clap::clap::clap:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Totally understand where you are coming from. I think the best example I can think of was Andy Carroll's move to Liverpool a few years ago. Liverpool only paid £35m for him because they had just received £50m for Torres and Newcastle rightly held out for the money.

If Leicester want Dunk and he wants to go that's fine, but if they receive a huge wedge for Maguire then we need to hold out for a significant portion of it.
Thank you - exactly what I was getting at - and the Torres - Chelsea - Carroll - Liverpool deal is exactly the one I was thinking of as an example. I'm not saying Dunk is or is not worth £X million. The point is, he is 'worth' a high percentage of what Leicester get for Maguire.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly - they can't expect to get a king's ransom for Maguire and then replace him with a player almost as good for half the price, and pocket the rest. The higher they push the price for Maguire (if somebody actually pays it) the higher the price for his replacement. If that is Dunk, we should settle for nothing less than 75% of what Leicester get for Maguire.

Is Dunk worth it? Is Maguire worth it? No idea - but the numbers being bandied around seem ridiculous to me anyway. But - is Dunk worth 75% of what Maguire is worth? Absolutely, in spades.

Does this sort of speculation just carry on and on and on even if reporting has now confirmed that Leicester have no intention of replacing Dunk with Maguire, who by the way , is still a Leicester player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Does this sort of speculation just carry on and on and on even if reporting has now confirmed that Leicester have no intention of replacing Dunk with Maguire, who by the way , is still a Leicester player.
22 more days, maximum.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair, I did include the word 'if' in my post!

And furthermore, I'm inclined to treat the word 'confirmed' with intense suspicion right up to the nanosecond the window slams shut!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
He won't be when the transfer window closes, that much is clear.

Probably but it looks like Utd (and presumably City) are still a long way from being prepared to come up with the ££ to match Leicester's eye popping valuation.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
In football finance terms, which is of course totally detached from the real value of real things in the real world, I don’t think £75m plus £15m potential add-ons is too big a price for Maguire. Provided that the PL does not reach the implosion point where TV revenue starts to plateau or fall, in the period in question. Liverpool paid £75m for VVD, have had several great seasons of performance and progress, and the asset is potentially worth 1.6x times what they paid for it. On that basis, and all other ‘football finance’ angles being equal, I can quite see and understand one of the Mancs paying the 75+15 for Maguire.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
In football finance terms, which is of course totally detached from the real value of real things in the real world, I don’t think £75m plus £15m potential add-ons is too big a price for Maguire. Provided that the PL does not reach the implosion point where TV revenue starts to plateau or fall, in the period in question. Liverpool paid £75m for VVD, have had several great seasons of performance and progress, and the asset is potentially worth 1.6x times what they paid for it. On that basis, and all other ‘football finance’ angles being equal, I can quite see and understand one of the Mancs paying the 75+15 for Maguire.

Football finance isn't the only thing that's detached from the real world.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
"Asked by Sky Sports News about potential replacements should Maguire leave, Rodgers added: "The club have been very good. If we lose him, we'd have a number of targets we'd look at."" from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49012117

It's obvious Dunk is a target, it's obvious United want Maguire. Has anything happened yet? No so there's nothing to say unless Maguire does go to United

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst Maguire is clearly pretty good, as is Dunk on a good day, neither of them are in the same class as VVD, who can actually play football as well as defend. My gut feeling is none of them are going anywhere, unless there's a funny five minutes!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

And BTW - TalkSport this morning suggested Cahill to replace Dunk as a possible option!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

He's only been there a season and a half.
£150m+ now I'd say. He has absolutely everything. Macguire, not even half the player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here