Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Never said Leicester was a sideways move. But is incremental, and not what Dunky should be looking for at his age IMHO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll be challenging for a top 6 finish and can afford to double his salary. That sounds quite tempting and a lot more than incremental to me.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Never said Leicester was a sideways move. But is incremental, and not what Dunky should be looking for at his age IMHO...

Well - I’m sure every player would want to sign for Barcelona, Juventus or Man City. But they may, of course, not be interested.

Leicester would be a good move for him at this stage in his career.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is it a step up? We look to get something out of Leicester at home and possibly away in our two years in the PL.

And have got a grand total of one point out of them, and that one came from playing against ten men for over an hour.

Edit: I see [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION] has beaten me to it. It's by no means the first time that he's quicker off the mark

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree. Dunk will never be CB for Liverpool or City so there's only one increment to go.

Exactly. I adore Dunk but, as brilliant as he is, he simply isn't the best CB in the PL. He lacks pace, and this will be exposed if he plays in a team with a higher line. He's 28 in a few months, so is about at his peak currently. VVD is comfortably the best CB not just now, but for a long time in the PL, and he can do absolutely everything. Dunk is a 4- to 8-placed defender, rather than a top three.
For all sorts of reasons, if a £45m bid comes in for him, we should take it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would be very brave to change manager and sell Dunk in the same summer.

I'd offer him a contract with golden handcuffs for the next season and a release clause from next summer onwards.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It would be very brave to change manager and sell Dunk in the same summer.

I'd offer him a contract with golden handcuffs for the next season and a buy out clause from next summer onwards.

Bloom has offered him a new contract every summer for the past 4 or is it 5 seasons now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We’ve played them 4 times in the PL and managed to get one point, which was achieved when they went down to 10 men after 30 mins. The only similarly I can see is in the size of stadium/fan base. We’re not far behind in that category. But on the pitch, and having seen 3 of those 4 games, I feel they are most definitely a step above us. They are not a team expecting to be battling at the bottom of the table.

But, I am optimistic that our Potter-ball style will see us close the gap this season.
When I look back on those Leicester games we probably should of done better missed pens etc. I just don’t see them anywhere near top 6.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
i see Fabian Delph has just gone to Everton for £8.5m. Age 29 with 20 caps for England .

How the hell is Dunk 45 lol .

This maguire thing doing us a right favour

More I think about it the more 45m is an absolute no brainer. We are pulling their pants down for that

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
No, I didn't say that. I have always been careful never to put a monetary value on any player - the world of football finance is mad anyway.

BUT if you accept the premise that Dunk isn't as good as Maguire, then he has to be at least partly as good as him. Do you seriously think Maguire is worth two Dunks? Well, if you do, don't keep reading this ............. you'll only get yourself into a stupid argument you can't win!

Let's say Dunk isn't quite as good as Maguire, but nearly. Three quarters as good? Maybe - I'd say a bit more. But in terms of agreeing terms with Leicester (if that is what we do) then the fee has got to be linked with what they get for Maguire. If ManU get Maguire for £50M, our price for Dunk would start at £37.5M. If they get £80M, we'd want £60M. If ManU go mad and stump up £100M, then it's £75M for Dunk.

Not figures - percentages, and that's what our demands to Leicester should be. Is Maguire worth £80M? - no, probably not, but if that's what Leicester get for him, why should we let them keep half of it, or more? No, they can have Dunk (if he wants to go) and keep a quarter - not half - of the booty they get from ManU. That's nothing to do with whatever figure you - or anybody else - thinks Dunk's price should be.

Maguire's price - whatever. However much it is, it our price should be 75% of that (and not a penny less) to buy Dunk.

Totally understand where you are coming from. I think the best example I can think of was Andy Carroll's move to Liverpool a few years ago. Liverpool only paid £35m for him because they had just received £50m for Torres and Newcastle rightly held out for the money.

If Leicester want Dunk and he wants to go that's fine, but if they receive a huge wedge for Maguire then we need to hold out for a significant portion of it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, this is an important point. At the highest level (of any market) you pay much more for not much improvement. So Maguire might be 1% better than Dunk, but this makes him twice the market value.

If Team A has 11 players who are all 1% better than the players in Team B, that will translate into a lot of league points and places by the end of the season

This is why we should be very sure the replacement in the side will be up to Dunk’s level very quickly before we sell. We only just stayed up last season. Other teams are improving and we can’t afford to weaken. There’s no point in having £45m in the bank if we go down.

Wow.

So by that reckoning my car must be worth at least £500k for being half as quick as a Bugatti?

That's totally not how asset value works once you enter the top percentile of anything. If you think Dunk is 75% as good as Maguire, I'd have to argue that could even make Maguire worth three Dunks.
:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, this is an important point. At the highest level (of any market) you pay much more for not much improvement. So Maguire might be 1% better than Dunk, but this makes him twice the market value.

If Team A has 11 players who are all 1% better than the players in Team B, that will translate into a lot of league points and places by the end of the season

This is why we should be very sure the replacement in the side will be up to Dunk’s level very quickly before we sell. We only just stayed up last season. Other teams are improving and we can’t afford to weaken. There’s no point in having £45m in the bank if we go down.
There is a premium for HGPs. The key is to get a non-HGP who is as good - but cheaper.

Potentially we will replace Balogun ( non-HGP ) with Clarke ( HGP), so any Dunk replacement could be non-HGP.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This reminds me of when Newcastle sold their best player in Andy Cole, the fans were up in arms. Until Alan Shearer and Les Ferdinand rocked up to fill the void.

I just hope we can do similar, if he goes.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That seems to have been our business model, though there is a limit to how far you can take it and we're close to that limit.

There is a premium for HGPs. The key is to get a non-HGP who is as good - but cheaper.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Indeed. I read somewhere the other day someone saying "Harry Maguire isn't twice as good as Lewis Dunk" which is, frankly, naive/stupid.

To get players that are above and beyond the level of "good, solid, reliable Premier League level" costs considerably more.

To get players marginally faster of foot, possessing a slightly quicker football mind, capable of converting 6/10 instead of 5/10 chances, conceding possession 5% fewer times is going to cost a lot of mone,y and the top clubs will pay the astronomical fees to secure small improvements.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here