Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought he said we were in for him two years ago but he chose Brentford instead?

Yep, he chose Brentford over us as he needed to play football and Brentford guaranteed that in the Championship. As a PL club football was not guaranteed as much.

We paid £15M more than we could have 2 years ago, but then the reverse has happened with Andone

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Argus has quite frankly been an embarrassment when it has come to transfer speculation in recent years.
Anyone can start speculating once Sky have pretty much confirmed it albeit they themselves have their early rumour mill.

Quite! And let's remember that Naylor told us that Bobby Z would never be returning to BHAFC just a few weeks before.....err.......Bobby Z returned to BHAFC!

Does Naylor actually know more than a few well placed individuals on NSC? Probably not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Naylor was actually asked specifically "any truth in" [presumably rumours about Maupay - not whether the club was "interested" - it wasn't that specific] .
How do you know if it was incorrect ? It was 7 weeks ago.
Because it's bloody obvious. We'll have been planning to make a move for a striker for months, and would have made a shortlist before the transfer window opened. We knew we needed a new striker, it wasn't a case of just getting one if a decent one fell into our lap. It was then reported in the Evening Standard that we were interested. It's crystal clear they were right.

If they said there was no truth in Maupay rumours at the time then they would have confirmed it based on what their sources told them at the time.
Yes, the Argus's sources didn't know about it. That's all I'm saying. But just because the Argus (via their sources) didn't know, doesn't mean it wasn't happening, as it clearly was.

There might well have been no acitivity then and they were pursuing other targets.
Please go ahead and quote from the Argus all the other strikers we were trying to get in before we gave up and settled on Maupay.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
ROONEY
With Sky dedicating hours on transfer talk, so many 'ITK', spies at every ground, friends of friends, mates down the pub and reporters at every port, how come the Rooney transfer went unnoticed? His agent was touting him round a few clubs and yet the BBC had an interview with his agent about the FA Cup only a few days ago.
OK, so it's not a big transfer, but it has turned it to a big story.

Because, as I keep saying, no-one knows anything 97 percent of the time! The example I always give is Mourinho's first departure from Chelsea. A media room in London full of so-called Chelsea 'experts' from every national paper plus the Evening Standard was entirely taken by surprise.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Please go ahead and quote from the Argus all the other strikers we were trying to get in before we gave up and settled on Maupay.

If this ambiguous tweet out of 100s in the past 10 years knocking back rumour after rumour , all correct, is the one you want to cite as a reason to ignore the good work of Naylor and now Owen for Albion fans during this blizzard of nonsense, clickbait and agent speculation then fair enough. I prefer that they are there in the transfer window reporting what they know with decent sources and yes, integrity about what they do..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

If this ambiguous tweet out of 100s in the past 10 years knocking back rumour after rumour , all correct, is the one you want to cite as a reason to ignore the good work of Naylor and now Owen for Albion fans during this blizzard of nonsense, clickbait and agent speculation then fair enough. I prefer that they are there in the transfer window reporting what they know with decent sources and yes, integrity about what they do..

I asked you to quote the strikers the Argus linked us to. Can you do that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, so they linked us to one other striker (who, incidentally, had already been confirmed on here). You are arguing that maybe we hadn't shown interest in Maupay by the 10th of June, because we were pursuing other targets, yet the only other target you're able to come up with is Youssef En-Nesyri, and the Argus didn't mention him until 7 weeks after they'd said we weren't interested in Maupay.

So do you seriously think the club weren't making moves to get any strikers at all in June, or are you prepared to accept that the Argus simply didn't know whom the club were trying to buy?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Right, so they linked us to one other striker (who, incidentally, had already been confirmed on here). You are arguing that maybe we hadn't shown interest in Maupay by the 10th of June, because we were pursuing other targets, yet the only other target you're able to come up with is Youssef En-Nesyri, and the Argus didn't mention him until 7 weeks after they'd said we weren't interested in Maupay.

So do you seriously think the club weren't making moves to get any strikers at all in June, or are you prepared to accept that the Argus simply didn't know whom the club were trying to buy?

I've no idea. I trust their reporting and you don't. I think thats extremely undeserved but clearly you don't. Fair enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've no idea. I trust their reporting and you don't. I think thats extremely undeserved but clearly you don't. Fair enough.
I'm simply aware that the club do their best to stop leaks on potential transfers, which means that the Argus often don't know about transfer news until after others have already revealed it.

That in itself is no great slur against the Argus, but you're ignoring the facts and claiming that whatever they say goes.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton

Is there any point to this discussion? Seems such waste of energy to get het up about whether The Argus did know or didn't know.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Quite! And let's remember that Naylor told us that Bobby Z would never be returning to BHAFC just a few weeks before.....err.......Bobby Z returned to BHAFC!

Does Naylor actually know more than a few well placed individuals on NSC? Probably not.

Naylor clearly knows more...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If this ambiguous tweet out of 100s in the past 10 years knocking back rumour after rumour , all correct, is the one you want to cite as a reason to ignore the good work of Naylor and now Owen for Albion fans during this blizzard of nonsense, clickbait and agent speculation then fair enough.
I don't know why you're taking this so personally. To claim that their 100s of tweets over 10 years have all been correct is laughable. Part of the reason I don't treat their work as gospel is that when they say we're not interested in someone they often get it wrong.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
you're ignoring the facts and claiming that whatever they say goes.

I've just engaged in a lengthy thread with you quoting articles, links and tweets and answering your questions. Hardly "ignoring the facts".
Also saying i trust their reporting is not the same as claiming "Whatever they say goes" .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is there any point to this discussion? Seems such waste of energy to get het up about whether The Argus did know or didn't know.

Spot on. I'll trust the Argus over some random ITK wannabees on NSC every time...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is there any point to this discussion?
It was about whether Leicester could have been interested in Dunk. The claim was that the Argus said they weren't, therefore that should be an end to the matter. I simply pointed out that they don't always know when there's interest in a player. It's not a wild claim, I'm clearly right, but Jem gave an oath to defend the Argus to his death, so he's arguing against reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here