Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
you think Dunk is worth £60million not the £45million reportedly bid?

No, I didn't say that. I have always been careful never to put a monetary value on any player - the world of football finance is mad anyway.

BUT if you accept the premise that Dunk isn't as good as Maguire, then he has to be at least partly as good as him. Do you seriously think Maguire is worth two Dunks? Well, if you do, don't keep reading this ............. you'll only get yourself into a stupid argument you can't win!

Let's say Dunk isn't quite as good as Maguire, but nearly. Three quarters as good? Maybe - I'd say a bit more. But in terms of agreeing terms with Leicester (if that is what we do) then the fee has got to be linked with what they get for Maguire. If ManU get Maguire for £50M, our price for Dunk would start at £37.5M. If they get £80M, we'd want £60M. If ManU go mad and stump up £100M, then it's £75M for Dunk.

Not figures - percentages, and that's what our demands to Leicester should be. Is Maguire worth £80M? - no, probably not, but if that's what Leicester get for him, why should we let them keep half of it, or more? No, they can have Dunk (if he wants to go) and keep a quarter - not half - of the booty they get from ManU. That's nothing to do with whatever figure you - or anybody else - thinks Dunk's price should be.

Maguire's price - whatever. However much it is, it our price should be 75% of that (and not a penny less) to buy Dunk.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
No, I didn't say that. I have always been careful never to put a monetary value on any player - the world of football finance is mad anyway.

BUT if you accept the premise that Dunk isn't as good as Maguire, then he has to be at least partly as good as him. Do you seriously think Maguire is worth two Dunks? Well, if you do, don't keep reading this ............. you'll only get yourself into a stupid argument you can't win!

Let's say Dunk isn't quite as good as Maguire, but nearly. Three quarters as good? Maybe - I'd say a bit more. But in terms of agreeing terms with Leicester (if that is what we do) then the fee has got to be linked with what they get for Maguire. If ManU get Maguire for £50M, our price for Dunk would start at £37.5M. If they get £80M, we'd want £60M. If ManU go mad and stump up £100M, then it's £75M for Dunk.

Not figures - percentages, and that's what our demands to Leicester should be. Is Maguire worth £80M? - no, probably not, but if that's what Leicester get for him, why should we let them keep half of it, or more? No, they can have Dunk (if he wants to go) and keep a quarter - not half - of the booty they get from ManU. That's nothing to do with whatever figure you - or anybody else - thinks Dunk's price should be.

Maguire's price - whatever. However much it is, it our price should be 75% of that (and not a penny less) to buy Dunk.

Wow.

So by that reckoning my car must be worth at least £500k for being half as quick as a Bugatti?

That's totally not how asset value works once you enter the top percentile of anything. If you think Dunk is 75% as good as Maguire, I'd have to argue that could even make Maguire worth three Dunks.
For what it's worth I love Dunk, think he's amazing for us and hope he stays, but -removing Albion tinted glasses- concede Maguire is a chunk better than him.

From what I gather, it's just all media bulls**t anyway, and the value put on Dunk is meaningless as Leicester simply have him on a list with other viable replacements, (Tarkovski or that bloke in France we were sniffing around etc) many of which at this point look far more likely and cost effective than clawing Dunk out of our clenched fists for c£50m (100x the supposed value of my car).

Gazing into my crystal ball, I don't think Dunk leaves this window.

Apologies to the grammar/spelling police for any boo boos, it's too late and my head hurts. Night all. :albion2:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
If we sell Dunk to Leicester then in my opinion we are playing fast and loose with our chances of staying in the PL. Why would you sell one of your best players to a club of a similar size?
Ok they won the PL once but they are in our bracket of club. It would say a lot about our ambition if we sell.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If we sell Dunk to Leicester then in my opinion we are playing fast and loose with our chances of staying in the PL. Why would you sell one of your best players to a club of a similar size?
Ok they won the PL once but they are in our bracket of club. It would say a lot about our ambition if we sell.

Leics aren't in our bracket imo. They are much more in the Everton/West Ham bracket. You wouldn't expect them to be flirting with relegation and I wouldn't be surprised if Leics make top 6 this season.

I don't think they'll go for Dunk anyway and if they were to then I think we should bite their hand off if the sort of money being talked about is accurate

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Leics aren't in our bracket imo. They are much more in the Everton/West Ham bracket. You wouldn't expect them to be flirting with relegation and I wouldn't be surprised if Leics make top 6 this season.

I don't think they'll go for Dunk anyway and if they were to then I think we should bite their hand off if the sort of money being talked about is accurate

I wonder if they've pulled Dunks template from the 'put players name on shirt dept' in the club shop :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

They’re not......it’s a step up for him, and you can’t look at the decision in isolation - if the £45m or whatever, plus another chunk of the TV money, is invested in decent purchases (as I’d expect) then that’s not playing fast and loose. It’s cashing in on a remarkable offer and taking a calculated risk to improve the squad. So many factors to consider - keeping a disaffected player who wanted to leave for a bigger club/better England chance ? Not getting the striker we really need (45 big ones may change that market for us) ? Clark/Burn capable of stepping up (none of us have really seen what they’re capable of).........? Other CB targets already in our sights ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
They’re not......it’s a step up for him, and you can’t look at the decision in isolation - if the £45m or whatever, plus another chunk of the TV money, is invested in decent purchases (as I’d expect) then that’s not playing fast and loose. It’s cashing in on a remarkable offer and taking a calculated risk to improve the squad. So many factors to consider - keeping a disaffected player who wanted to leave for a bigger club/better England chance ? Not getting the striker we really need (45 big ones may change that market for us) ? Clark/Burn capable of stepping up (none of us have really seen what they’re capable of).........? Other CB targets already in our sights ?
Is it a step up? We look to get something out of Leicester at home and possibly away in our two years in the PL.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Strange isn’t it, Chris Hughton had the piss ripped out of him for talking about clubs at “our level”, yet here everyone is talking about Leicester being a step up and in the next group up from us - maybe he wasn’t so mad, after all...

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Is it a step up? We look to get something out of Leicester at home and possibly away in our two years in the PL.

We’ve played them 4 times in the PL and managed to get one point, which was achieved when they went down to 10 men after 30 mins. The only similarly I can see is in the size of stadium/fan base. We’re not far behind in that category. But on the pitch, and having seen 3 of those 4 games, I feel they are most definitely a step above us. They are not a team expecting to be battling at the bottom of the table.

But, I am optimistic that our Potter-ball style will see us close the gap this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Strange isn’t it, Chris Hughton had the piss ripped out of him for talking about clubs at “our level”, yet here everyone is talking about Leicester being a step up and in the next group up from us - maybe he wasn’t so mad, after all...

Correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I think few people thought him mad but understood him to be a realist. The problem was getting to that next level under his guidance. Like many others, I think he found his level to be good in the Championship but lower echelons of the Premier league. Sad, because he came across as a great guy, but TB has high expectations of us progressing through more and more levels over time to become an established top side.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We’ve played them 4 times in the PL and managed to get one point, which was achieved when they went down to 10 men after 30 mins. The only similarly I can see is in the size of stadium/fan base. We’re not far behind in that category. But on the pitch, and having seen 3 of those 4 games, I feel they are most definitely a step above us. They are not a team expecting to be battling at the bottom of the table.

But, I am optimistic that our Potter-ball style will see us close the gap this season.

The away game v Leicester last season was in some ways one of our best away performances . We lost of course but compared to others at the time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I think there was more a running joke about the use of the word “levels” in press conferences and interviews. I very much doubt anyone thinks there isn’t a three way split. I’ve been saying for years that the PL has a top four or five, a second group looking for Europa League spot and then ten or so from whom three will get relegated.

Where I take a bit of issue with CH is that he had us pegged forever in the bottom group. The appearance of Leicester and Wolves in the middle group, two teams with similar home crowds and who we played competitively in The Championship (in fact we watched Wolves disappear to League One) in The Amex era suggests the bottom two levels should be fluid. Leicester themselves proved you could breach the top one.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yet the year before they won the Premier League they did indeed flirt with relegation, but for a late charge with 7 wins out of their last 9 games.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Whilst I'm sure Arsenal is a more attractive option (big 6, closer to home etc) and Leicester is less attractive, let's not get above our station and suggest it would be some sort of sideways move.

Leicester have assembled an exciting, largely young squad that are capable of mixing it with the three lesser sides of the big 6, and have a manager who has the potential to get a lot out of that squad.

Beyond that, if there is not a big 6 suitor for Dunk, then this is very possibly his best chance of securing a move that could get him some form of European football and further his ambitions for an England squad place.

And there'd be the small matter of a sizeable pay boost too.

Never said Leicester was a sideways move. But is incremental, and not what Dunky should be looking for at his age IMHO...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel The Big Board needs a Mod to intervene and have a bit of a tidy up.

Either change it to 'Knockaert to Fulham'

Or, and I think we'll all in agreement that this is the preferable option:-

Dunky to Leicester.
Brucey to Newcastle
&
Zahay to Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here