Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Clearly wrong. Andy Naylor's tweet while still with the Argus, in reply to reports of a £45 million offer, was "must pay more". Dunk isn't Knockaert.

Unbelievable!
Has everyone on here had their irony sensors removed today?

Entirely possible I was whooshed then. The thing is, the post I replied to isn't actually the stupident thing I've read on NSC since the weekend started. Can't wait for the season to start and the window to SLAM shut so we can concentrate on some actual football.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
to be fair to Leicester , they have a ready made back up in Caglar Soyuncu , already played 20 + times for Turkey.

Not sure they would be up for spending on Dunk anyway

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The meltdown on here if Dunk does go will be something to behold

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
to be fair to Leicester , they have a ready made back up in Caglar Soyuncu , already played 20 + times for Turkey.

Not sure they would be up for spending on Dunk anyway

Also the guy who played at Celtic last year- just broken in to the Croatia team, serious unit. So they have those two, plus the old guard- they're certainly not desperate.

My worry is Arsenal. If Arsenal bid, I think Dunk asks to leave, then there's a problem.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Also the guy who played at Celtic last year- just broken in to the Croatia team, serious unit. So they have those two, plus the old guard- they're certainly not desperate.

My worry is Arsenal. If Arsenal bid, I think Dunk asks to leave, then there's a problem.

I'm not worried, I think we've priced him out of a realistic move. If Arsenal won't pay £50M for Haha, I can't see them wanting to pay it for Dunk.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The meltdown on here if Dunk does go will be something to behold

To be honest I was partially defrosted by the CH scaking, AK leaving (in the manner he has) has finished the job. So if Lewis went it'd be too late for me... I'm totally melted already.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Not criticising the academy investment that was always going to be a long term ambition and will take time to see the results and Ashworth is a great appointment. But that is long term it’s about how we survive in the PL in the shorter term. And if you read my post again I am not saying we should increase budget but maybe more quality over quantity

Ali J. £17m
Izquierdo. £14m
Locadia. £14m

All 3 were calculated punts would much rather have 1 punt and use combined value of the other two to buy someone who represents less risk and is more likely to be a proven starter at this level.

Just for me current policy appears very high risk and it may just be enough to cling onto our PL status but our squad looks weak at the moment and we have taken a calculated gamble in potter (which again was a positive move) just think whilst he finds he feet would be good to get him in some proper quality in the starting 11 rather than another punt that takes a year+ to settle.

Surely it is wiser not putting all your eggs in one basket?

We could still end up with a dud, but lose more money trying to shift them later.

How about one of these gems who cost a bomb, but still flopped in the Premier League,

Shevchenko £30m Ballon d'or winner.
Angel Di Maria £60m.
Fred £47m.

Transfers are not an exact science, we bought well in our first Premier League season, not So well in our second. This doesn't mean our strategy is flawed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Both strategies carry risk. Though I think we’ve veered too much towards “speculative, might come to something might not” sort of signings. You end up with what we have, which is a large squad full of closely matched, functional players, who are lacking in match winning quality and are dull to watch.

If you go the other way, to get a smaller number of higher quality players, who have performed well in a top league, there are also risks, assuming you can get them in the first place. They could get injured and it’s harder to keep a restriction on the wage structure.

I just think that to have any chance of moving forwards, we’re going to need more final third quality than we have previously shown and we are going to have to find a way to develop or recruit those players. It's a gamble, but if we're not genuinely looking to improve, we'll be down either this season or soon enough

Surely it is wiser not putting all your eggs in one basket?

We could still end up with a dud, but lose more money trying to shift them later.

How about one of these gems who cost a bomb, but still flopped in the Premier League,

Shevchenko £30m Ballon d'or winner.
Angel Di Maria £60m.
Fred £47m.

Transfers are not an exact science, we bought well in our first Premier League season, not So well in our second. This doesn't mean our strategy is flawed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
For a promotion campaign warchest in the Championship or League One.

TB won’t make the club insolvent by paying PL market forces for an ACM and RB.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to try to prevent relegation in the first place?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps Dunk will be loaned to Leicester with the option to buy at the end of the season?

Brilliant :)... and thoroughly deserved that the club be called out on their ridiculous Knocky deal...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wouldn't it be a better idea to try to prevent relegation in the first place?

Agreed... cannot believe some of the nonsense posted on here (like the post you were replying to)...

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Both strategies carry risk. Though I think we’ve veered too much towards “speculative, might come to something might not” sort of signings. You end up with what we have, which is a large squad full of closely matched, functional players, who are lacking in match winning quality and are dull to watch.

If you go the other way, to get a smaller number of higher quality players, who have performed well in a top league, there are also risks, assuming you can get them in the first place. They could get injured and it’s harder to keep a restriction on the wage structure.

I just think that to have any chance of moving forwards, we’re going to need more final third quality than we have previously shown and we are going to have to find a way to develop or recruit those players. It's a gamble, but if we're not genuinely looking to improve, we'll be down either this season or soon enough

We need to use the loan market this season. I would hope Ashcroft is here for these contacts.

Paying top $ for someone like Harry Wilson would likely see you worst case get your money back if you’re relegated. On the other hand paying it in wages to get Welbeck/Sturridge for 3 years would be crazy.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We need to use the loan market this season. I would hope Ashcroft is here for these contacts.

Paying top $ for someone like Harry Wilson would likely see you worst case get your money back if you’re relegated. On the other hand paying it in wages to get Welbeck/Sturridge for 3 years would be crazy.

Other options available...

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Not too worried?

We're struggling to spend the money we already have banked.

Nothing changes unless Bloom/Barber decide to increase the maximum wages.
In theory we could probably afford to ‘invest’ in a £30m striker, however that instantly comes with said striker wanting north of £50k per week, we won’t do that = deal won’t happen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here