Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Probably the best part of our team is the twin centre back pairing so why change it when there are lots of other areas of concern. Of course if Dunk wants to go and is throwing his toys around then that's a different matter.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Who is the new owner of Leicester, and are they planning to bankroll the club to success?

King power group, with an annual revenue of $2b+.

Since his dad died, it looks like the son is building the club into a monument to his father. They could grow to be huge.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think there was more a running joke about the use of the word “levels” in press conferences and interviews. I very much doubt anyone thinks there isn’t a three way split. I’ve been saying for years that the PL has a top four or five, a second group looking for Europa League spot and then ten or so from whom three will get relegated.

Where I take a bit of issue with CH is that he had us pegged forever in the bottom group. The appearance of Leicester and Wolves in the middle group, two teams with similar home crowds and who we played competitively in The Championship (in fact we watched Wolves disappear to League One) in The Amex era suggests the bottom two levels should be fluid. Leicester themselves proved you could breach the top one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t for one minute imagine that Chris Hughton didn’t think, in time, we could move up a level. He was just realistic about where we are at this actual moment in time, and was constantly ridiculed for it on here.
I believe under Chris Hughton we could have moved on, as per pre Christmas last year, however we will never know.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Indeed. I read somewhere the other day someone saying "Harry Maguire isn't twice as good as Lewis Dunk" which is, frankly, naive/stupid.

To get players that are above and beyond the level of "good, solid, reliable Premier League level" costs considerably more.

To get players marginally faster of foot, possessing a slightly quicker football mind, capable of converting 6/10 instead of 5/10 chances, conceding possession 5% fewer times is going to cost a lot of mone,y and the top clubs will pay the astronomical fees to secure small improvements.

It's like some of you have never played FIFA...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think Dunky will do this. I'm aware that there was some talk of dissatisfaction earlier in his career, but not now. I think it's more a case that we won't stand in his way if he does want the move. TB will play hardball for the fee, but ultimately let him go, which I think is the right thing to do. He's done his dues here.

Probably the best part of our team is the twin centre back pairing so why change it when there are lots of other areas of concern. Of course if Dunk wants to go and is throwing his toys around then that's a different matter.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Just cannot understand why people are happy with taking 45 and 15 million pounds for two of our best players.
I agree they are huge sums of money but you still have to find replacements and you find won't find these replacements unless you lay out the same money.
With the TV rights money we don't need to sell so we need to keep our best players and stand up to Leicester City and say no sell.

I am ok with the Dunk deal not the Knocky one.
I think after one season under the Potter spell Knocky might be worth $40 million as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There is a premium for HGPs. The key is to get a non-HGP who is as good - but cheaper.

Potentially we will replace Balogun ( non-HGP ) with Clarke ( HGP), so any Dunk replacement could be non-HGP.

Last time I looked at your list, we're now up to nine HGPs, so we're doing pretty well on that front. Factor in the potential of the odd member of the DS qualifying next season, and we've got a bit of leeway on that front now. It really was a masterstroke buying both Steele and Button (with Sanchez and Walton in the pipeline) on this front.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So what about this line of logic

De Light is today going to Juventus for £65m
This was one of the more likely destinations for Pogba
Pogba is now more likely to stay at Man U
Man U are less likely to have a large sum of money readily available for Maguire
Maguire stays at Leicester
Dunk Stays at Brighton
Brighton smash the Premier League this year

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A masterstroke except for the fact that Maty hasn't had realistic competition for his place and his form suffered towards the end of last season.

Last time I looked at your list, we're now up to nine HGPs, so we're doing pretty well on that front. Factor in the potential of the odd member of the DS qualifying next season, and we've got a bit of leeway on that front now. It really was a masterstroke buying both Steele and Button (with Sanchez and Walton in the pipeline) on this front.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If he wants to leave I wouldn’t begrudge him going, he would fit in well with Rogers game style and Leicester are team who I can see going far in future seasons with the young talent they have, would be very sad to see him leave but he’s given us a lot over the years, if he truly wanted to leave I don’t think Bloom would stand in his way, providing the fee suffices.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If he wants to leave I wouldn’t begrudge him going, he would fit in well with Rogers game style and Leicester are team who I can see going far in future seasons with the young talent they have, would be very sad to see him leave but he’s given us a lot over the years, if he truly wanted to leave I don’t think Bloom would stand in his way, providing the fee suffices.

Aren't Potter, Bloom, Ashworth and co. trying to move towards Rodger's style of play at The Albion? That should mean Dunk fitting in quite well here. However, if clubs like Leicester offer us and Dunk silly money for him to move it wil be difficult to hold on to him-unless the club start upping the wage cap.

Ultimately no player is irreplaceable-not even Dunk. He'll be difficult to replace immediately but not irreplaceable. Leicester, if they get big money for Maguire will have to spend most of it for a decent replacement, as will The Albion if they get loads for Dunk-unless they feel we already have a replacement in Clarke. I hate football sometimes...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Something gets printed in a Murdoch rag and everyone's taking about it. Let's wait and see, £45m sounds about right, but would Dunky really want to go with us still in the PL?

He'd be swapping a relegation battle with us, for a club that will likely be on the fringes of the top 7 pushing for Europe. And he'll get a maHOOsive payrise to boot.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I certainly couldn't blame the fella if he fancied it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don’t for one minute imagine that Chris Hughton didn’t think, in time, we could move up a level. He was just realistic about where we are at this actual moment in time, and was constantly ridiculed for it on here.
I believe under Chris Hughton we could have moved on, as per pre Christmas last year, however we will never know.

Errr, no, Chris constantly referred to every PL team we played, even Hudds, as "These are a good team"... so, he constantly undervalued his own club...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Aren't Potter, Bloom, Ashworth and co. trying to move towards Rodger's style of play at The Albion? That should mean Dunk fitting in quite well here. However, if clubs like Leicester offer us and Dunk silly money for him to move it wil be difficult to hold on to him-unless the club start upping the wage cap.

Ultimately no player is irreplaceable-not even Dunk. He'll be difficult to replace immediately but not irreplaceable. Leicester, if they get big money for Maguire will have to spend most of it for a decent replacement, as will The Albion if they get loads for Dunk-unless they feel we already have a replacement in Clarke. I hate football sometimes...

Very true, but Leicester are probably 5 years or so ahead of us in progress, perhaps more... for Dunk at the prime time of his career perhaps he wants a change and more immediate prospects? Don’t know anything for certain obviously as the details on everything appear very vague at this point.

I had envisaged were we to ever lose Dunk that it would be to a Tottenham or Everton type team maybe even top 4, I think he deserves a move to a top top club but if he isn’t going to get that, Leicester would be a good fit for him. A bigger problem to me is should we sell Dunk we are going to be ripped off by other clubs who know we have a war chest to replace him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here