Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex vs Northants, LVCC Div 2, Northampton - 20-23 May

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Northants 164-3, 587 runs scored so far, doesn't sound like a result pitch does it?

It’s always a results pitch if Northants are playing [emoji51] - I’ve watched them a fair bit lately. Sussex will win from here I’m sure.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Time for a bounce, 308-8, need one more wicket as one of the Northants mob has retired hurt.

Final wicket partnership now up to 46 runs, E.X.Tras doing well in the last two overs, maybe we should sign him?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How can they replace someone with the game already started? Never seen that before.

It's been an option for quite some time. I think the first player to be replaced in a game (in England at least) was Kevin Innes when James Kirtley replaced him, on return from England duty.

Since then, the idea of replacement has expanded. In the current case, it's because both Wakely and Wood have suffered concussion, so they replacements (like in rugby) - neither Cobb nor Hutton is allowed to bowl however.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Salty swatting away and now 67*

Sussex lead by 146.

No idea how pitch is changing. Presumably will be a decent fourth day if we are 300+ ahead but could ultimately be a tame looking draw on the raw totals - hope not.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brilliant 100 from Phil Salt.

Always going to live by the sword but great when it comes off.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wells gone ( a little while back, for 36).

Sussex 200/3, lead of 254

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hmm... I was wrong about Hutton not being allowed to bowl but I honestly have no idea why Cobb (a replacement for a head injury) is forbidden from bowling but Hutton (a replacement for a head injury) isn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmm... I was wrong about Hutton not being allowed to bowl but I honestly have no idea why Cobb (a replacement for a head injury) is forbidden from bowling but Hutton (a replacement for a head injury) isn't.

Maybe a difference in that one was injured IN play, and the other off-field?

Or maybe Cobb isn't forbidden, but just doesn't bowl??

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe a difference in that one was injured IN play, and the other off-field?

Or maybe Cobb isn't forbidden, but just doesn't bowl??

The BBC site said that Cobb was forbidden.
I wondered whether where they got their injuries was significant but thought those injured on the field were less likely to be allowed to bowl

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
The BBC site said that Cobb was forbidden.
I wondered whether where they got their injuries was significant but thought those injured on the field were less likely to be allowed to bowl

I think (not totally sure though) it’s based on the player they’re replacing. Wakely doesn’t (or rarely) bowls meaning his replacement can’t bowl. I believe it’s to stop a team replacing a bowler who’s just taken 5fer with a batsman in the second innings. Wood bowls and bats and therefore his replacement can do both.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sussex 346 ahead is that enough to declare and have a day to bowl them out or do we need to stay in a little longer to make sure that they cannot win.
Good question. Normal practice is to make the game completely safe so I'd expect us to bat for at least another 10 or 12 overs in the morning...

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I think (not totally sure though) it’s based on the player they’re replacing. Wakely doesn’t (or rarely) bowls meaning his replacement can’t bowl. I believe it’s to stop a team replacing a bowler who’s just taken 5fer with a batsman in the second innings. Wood bowls and bats and therefore his replacement can do both.

That is correct.

Interesting to see how many BB thinks we need tomorrow, while still leaving time to bowl them out. I would think a quick 50 runs in as few overs as possible. Weise could be just the man for that...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here