Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dartmoor walks

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Anyone recommend a good wild moorland walk in Dartmoor around 7 miles ish, could even have a pub fitted in?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey, there are loads, my in-laws live down there and I've done plenty. Really like it round Moretonhampstead.

From the Kestor Inn at Water (Manaton) (good place to stay/eat) you can head west over Hayne Down, then north-west up to Grimspound / Hameldown Tor. From there north over Hookney Tor then down to Lower Hookner. From there, east over Easdon Tor, to North Bovey where you'll come to the thatched Ring O' Bells. This has recently been rebuilt after a fire but supposed to be good. Then south back along country lanes to Manaton.

That's about 12 miles but you can reduce down to 7 or 8 by cutting out Hameldown Tor and walking along the valley through the woods along the Two Moors Way.

Just get the OS 1:25000 Dartmoor map and a compass and have a wonder. Take care though - the fog can appear without warning!

Last edited:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Wistman's Wood is beautiful, in the middle of nowhere and there's a gastro-pub/hotel close by. Looks like something out of the Hobbit or Game of Thrones - stunning scenery.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is a good pub in Dousland on the edge of Dartmoor.
You can walk as far or actually over the high moor to Princetown.
You can do the Prison museum and things then walk back.
It's a bit of a hike and I wouldn't do it in bad weather.
It's one of hundreds of ideas though.
There is also the Dartmoor brewery in Princetown that brews Jail Ale, a phenomenal ale that is extremely popular down here.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here