Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else with a Huawei phone?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Yes, I've got one running Nougat. Not unduly worried after reading this

Huawei will continue to have access to the version of the Android operating system available through the open source licence that is free to anyone who wishes to use it.

But, according to the source, Google will stop providing technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Huawei will continue to have access to the version of the Android operating system available through the open source licence that is free to anyone who wishes to use it.

But, according to the source, Google will stop providing technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei.

But there are other Google updates that might get blocked, not just Android. I'm concerned about the security implications.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

And no play store apparently.

Edit: Existing phones fine.

But there are other Google updates that might get blocked, not just Android.

I don't particularly like Google and "other search engines are available". My Gmail isn't my main email account, so my only worry is would Google be able to prevent Gmailers sending emails to my phone? Can't see how they would as they would be going through a third party website (in my case, Yahoo Mail).

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I wonder how Huawei will get around this? I'm sure they will come up with something.

write their own OS/extensions/appstore. unless you have a deep need to use all the crappy bundled apps andriod ships with (play books? hangouts?) it may be doing you a favour. maybe Huawei will do some field research, and find not everyone on the world wants Pinyin and Hindu input active by default?

worth noting that many phone makers (and networks) dislike the control Google exerts, forcing them to install/default their services, this may have wider consequences if it triggers a new branch of underlying OS.

D

Deleted member 22389

Nothing to stop phone manufacturers putting their own os on the phone using Linux as it's base. I wish Blackberry had never discontinued their own os. It was free of all the Google stuff, and it was a decent os.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't particularly like Google and "other search engines are available". My Gmail isn't my main email account, so my only worry is would Google be able to prevent Gmailers sending emails to my phone? Can't see how they would as they would be going through a third party website (in my case, Yahoo Mail).

They can't do that.

I wouldn't go near a phone originating from China

Out of interest, what phone do you use? Nearly all phones are manufactured in China.

If I had a Huawei phone (my son has my old Nexus 6p, wonderful phone) I would root it and install custom software. XDA is the place to go, if you are really concerned about security use a ROM like Lineage.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I love my Huawei Mate 20 Pro, it's been fantastic. But what about this thing that Trump has pushed Google into? No android updates?? Don't like that at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/19/google-huawei-trump-blacklist-report

I wonder how Huawei will get around this? I'm sure they will come up with something.

Think it will see new sales fall off the edge, leading to financial problems for them, and therefore tech support drying up for existing users. On the other hand the Chinese government will probably come to their rescue.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Apple iPhone sales dropping drastically. American protectionism at work?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here