Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nike 2002 - the last iconic football advert?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Driving back from a day out today and Elvis v JXL's "A Little Less Conversation" comes on the radio. This leads me to telling the boy about the mad Nike "first goal wins" film with Cantona in and then showing him the fulll 3 minute version on youtube when we got home.

I was fully expecting it to be ridiculed with it's lack of widescreen and smart mouthed you-tubers but he loved it. 17 years old, it remains, for me, the best football / advert / music crossover ever made.

But then he said how good a remake could be with all the amazing players out there today. My initial thought was "never going to happen". Not all for the same sports company for one, but also, as good as players are today, they are coached to within an inch of their lives. When Naymar does skills in France he's pilloried for showing off. So not only would this not happen today for commercial reasons but it wouldn't happen because the guys making it look like they're having fun.

Nowadays Henry sells mid range estate cars as a Sky prefix. That, for me, says it all. Will we ever see an age of creativity again or will we continue to laud Klopp and Pep for taking players no one else can afford and turning them in to an effective system?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Driving back from a day out today and Elvis v JXL's "A Little Less Conversation" comes on the radio. This leads me to telling the boy about the mad Nike "first goal wins" film with Cantona in and then showing him the fulll 3 minute version on youtube when we got home.

I was fully expecting it to be ridiculed with it's lack of widescreen and smart mouthed you-tubers but he loved it. 17 years old, it remains, for me, the best football / advert / music crossover ever made.

meh

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah it's the Brazil 98 advert that wins it for me. It told a story (it's almost quaint now, when compared to how high-octane and fizzily edited the others are) and just perfectly captured Joga Bonito.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeah it's the Brazil 98 advert that wins it for me. It told a story (it's almost quaint now, when compared to how high-octane and fizzily edited the others are) and just perfectly captured Joga Bonito.

And the fact that Ronaldo misses and the kids facepalm. Great that they are not taking themselves too seriously. Easily the best football advert

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham

But then he said how good a remake could be with all the amazing players out there today. My initial thought was "never going to happen". Not all for the same sports company for one, but also, as good as players are today, they are coached to within an inch of their lives. When Naymar does skills in France he's pilloried for showing off. So not only would this not happen today for commercial reasons but it wouldn't happen because the guys making it look like they're having fun.

Nowadays Henry sells mid range estate cars as a Sky prefix. That, for me, says it all. Will we ever see an age of creativity again or will we continue to laud Klopp and Pep for taking players no one else can afford and turning them in to an effective system?

One of my favourite adverts ever! I take it you've seen Part 2?

https://youtu.be/I8H3PUZBl2M

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here