Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Assuming we appoint Graham Potter, your gut feeling on next season

How will Potter do next season?

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bloody cheat but with advantage of 2 season’s hindsight, a disappointingly negative vote.

We are top 10 at least next season :wink:

Good bounce though, interesting to see how we thought it would all pan out

What WERE you thinking [MENTION=4934]One Teddy Maybank[/MENTION] :lolol:

Thought I was close in season one TBH [emoji23]

My comments were prior to signings and given we’ve sold a lot of the Hughton team seems I was right in the main. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Be interesting to see who out of the 46 in the top bracket are the ones defiantly sticking to their guns because that's what they chose to believe before the start

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Always worth reading the bounced threads you've posted on to see how far away you were. Interestingly I stand by a fair bit of what I posted despite, at the time, Potter not actually being our manager.

for my money, Ashworth has staked his job on this.

And I still think that today.

We need to be a LOT fitter.

I finally think we're getting there with this. Leeds was when I noticed it, where we happily kept up with the murder ball victims on a cabbage patch. Credit to Potter and a red line through some of my other posts this season.

We need a starting right back who doesn't go AWOL somewhere random up the pitch, but has the pace to properly transition and join attacks.

Step forward Taz AND Veltman!

We need a centre forward who isn't Murray but could conceivably score more and has pace (and if we get this we somehow need to keep Andone happy, because it isn't him but he'll need to be first backup).

This on the other hand still hasn't happend.

We may - and this pains me to type it - need to replace Duffy with a quicker model and hope that we don't miss the fire, undoubted dominance in the air and blocking with any free body part.

Called this all the way :)

But these alone will cost a SHITLOAD of money and that's before you've gone "do you know what, a really quick winger who's more consistent than Izzy and a creative box to box midfielder would be nice".

And there I was very wrong. Veltman 900k. Taz 2 mill? Elusive striker still not bought. Potter doesn't use wingers but Taz is quicker than Izzy and we already had the box to box creative player in Bissouma. Maybe only the £20 mill for Webster was a SHITLOAD of cash but after s shaky start he's got to be worth more than we paid for him and both Veltman and White suit Potterball better than Duffers and cost sod all.

I write this not to blow my own trumpet though (well, ok maybe a bit) but to actually illustrate how long this took to all come about. And that's not a dig at GP or the club. It's a dig at my panicking self from earlier this season. These things take time to click. And now they have the results are finally coming along.

Tonight is not really going to help as losing to THEM really grips my shit, plus Fulham won, plus these derby games can and do go either way. So if the worst does happen tonight I'm going to try to re-read this and realise that, back in the immediate aftermath of Hughton going, the club did indeed set about doing what was needed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thought I was close in season one TBH [emoji23]

My comments were prior to signings and given we’ve sold a lot of the Hughton team seems I was right in the main. [emoji2]

No you weren't, look again at what you voted :wink:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If that involves players actually running into spaces to receive passes, then I'm all for it. I got sick of watching our players looking to make a pass and throwing their hands in the air in frustration as everyone else was just static, waiting for the man on the ball to move into space in order to pass to their feet. More fitness, more desire to get the ball. If you have the ball, the opposition can't score. Simples. Of course we're going to get picked off by the quality teams. That's life. I expect it. I'd like to see us show less respect and fear for the other 'teams like Brighton' - especially at home.

Really looking forward to next season now. Still relegation contenders I reckon but a much more entertaining ride. For me, I would be happy with 40 points, safety and two or three players who have demonstrably improved or are better than what we have at the moment

It will be a period of transition over the next couple of seasons as the squad is overhauled to suit Potter's style & tactics. Maybe it means a dogfight at the bottom of the table or just above until the right players are in & the wrongs ones moved on. Wont be an overnight wonder but I think it will be more enjoyable to watch even when we lose as at least we would have put a shift in & tried to win rather than the previous try not to lose mentality. My heart says will be a notable improvement and relative ease of acquiring safety but my head says it may go to the wire again in his first season but I think TB will give him time & the resources he wants & needs.

One of Transition but with us having once again a defined footballing style hopefully interspersed by blooding some fearless youths who can show the old guard a thing or two about trying things differently. Most importantly for me back to playing football and if we go down stick with the plan, the man and have faith it will come good. Exciting times.

This. If the hope is that Hermione will convert Ali J, Locadia, and Andone into the PL goal machines (scoring or assisting) that we clearly hoped for when we bought them, I fear we’re going to be disappointed. Season 1? Cling on by the skin of our teeth, unless we buy extensively. Season 2? That could be a lot more interesting - providing we’re still in the PL.

Kudos to all those above. Eva Petulengro lives on.

Relegation here we come but at least we go down playing expansive football I guess so no complaints from the fans when we get frequently humiliated . TB has no idea a huge mistake!

Not so much kudos. But thanks for 4.5 great years Chris.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No you weren't, look again at what you voted :wink:

On my phone, can’t see my votes [emoji6]

Comments seem measured.....

Just looked.....

Crap options ��
(Oh I was wrong, though we did have some thrashings vs Citeh)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here