Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Assuming we appoint Graham Potter, your gut feeling on next season

How will Potter do next season?

• Total voters

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
For me a positive move (all being well). Potter has so far excelled in management. He'll hopefully continue that trend. He'll have to overcome some distinct obstacles. The biggest being changing the style of play. Do we have the players for how he sets his teams up? Can we gain sufficient points whilst making the transition?

He plays a more mobile, fluid style. Probably keeping the counter attack emphasis but hopefully improving our ball retention and attacking threat. Can our less mobile players fit into this style (we have a few)? It's gonna be fascinating. Onwards and upwards.

theboybilly

I expected us to kick on a little bit last season especially after being told about this pressing game they'd been practicing in pre-season and the money spent on new players. All that was quickly exposed on day one at Watford. It rarely got any better from then on. So many victories were scrappy affairs and we were very fortunate to survive. With that in mind I have faith that this appointment is a considered one and we might just surprise a few people. If we can watch exciting football along the way I'll be happy.

Potter In

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
....He plays a more mobile, fluid style.

If that involves players actually running into spaces to receive passes, then I'm all for it. I got sick of watching our players looking to make a pass and throwing their hands in the air in frustration as everyone else was just static, waiting for the man on the ball to move into space in order to pass to their feet.

More fitness, more desire to get the ball. If you have the ball, the opposition can't score. Simples.

Of course we're going to get picked off by the quality teams. That's life. I expect it.

I'd like to see us show less respect and fear for the other 'teams like Brighton' - especially at home.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Relegation battle all season. Chris moving on was the right, Potter is a huge gamble for this season, maybe not with a longer timeline. Lasts see, hopefully it’s fun and we stay up

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I am optimistic that we will do ok....

If we can introduce a bit more pace in the side and defend from the front much higher up the pitch then I think we could be a solid mid table side.
We need to take the games to the opposition and not wait to see what they’ve got before we decide to play. I like what I’ve read up about Potter so far. He could be great acquisition for us.
We need a goal scorer that will net 15 goals a season with midfielders chipping in with a decent return. As much as GM has been a great striker for us I can only see him playing a bit part next season.
I believe we have a decent nucleus of a side and with a few intelligent signings we will do ok.

I’m sure Tony and his team are well aware of what’s needed and will put everything they have into keeping the mighty Albion at the top table.

That’s my hope anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If that involves players actually running into spaces to receive passes, then I'm all for it. I got sick of watching our players looking to make a pass and throwing their hands in the air in frustration as everyone else was just static, waiting for the man on the ball to move into space in order to pass to their feet.

More fitness, more desire to get the ball. If you have the ball, the opposition can't score. Simples.

Of course we're going to get picked off by the quality teams. That's life. I expect it.

I'd like to see us show less respect and fear for the other 'teams like Brighton' - especially at home.

Good points, hard to argue with any of it. We were SHIT at even looking for space, let alone finding it. A massive change in approach was needed, hope we have it coming up.

Let’s bin the fear of every other team, it was embarrassing and shit to watch. Fear of getting beat was our mantra last season. This came across in the way we played, any confidence in taking the game to the other side was overridden by a complete lack of confidence in being able to do it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Get some decent forwards in, we'll be fine.

Your user name has become spookily precient. It would seem that the answer has suddenly become 'yes'. :lolol:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The change of style may be too drastic. We will struggle to adapt in time and probably be relegated. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s my gut feeling. Sorry.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The change of style may be too drastic. We will struggle to adapt in time and probably be relegated. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s my gut feeling. Sorry.

Hang your head in shame. Give the plan a chance FFS. Sticking with Chris was almost guaranteed relegation... that’s my gut feeling, sorry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unless we have new players with a lot more pace than the present team I can't see a huge difference. Pressure to finish 17th or better will override the desire to be like Fulham last season.

Are you really suggesting it was all about a lack of pace? If CH had absolutely no say in the players we signed maybe we need a manager who will insist on having a say. Let’s hope we’ve got one.

Lack of pace is a really piss poor excuse for what we saw last season imo, especially as the manager had been here so long

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Other.

It will be a change in style which will in all probability mean a slow start. I'd expect things to improve as everyone adjusts but how quickly we adjust will be key. I think we will be odds on to be relegated in the early part of the season.

Success or not next season I think it was the right call to change things. We may or may not go down next year but i think Chris's stint had run it's course.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think we will struggle, but at least we won't have to play 38 away games like last season.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I think we will be in a relegation fight with 10 other teams.
Fingers crossed we will be safe by late March.
I don't think we would have been in a relegation fight, just relegated if things had stayed the same.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think we might struggle initially as the team and manager adjust to each other and the new players bed in, but hopefully we’ll improve as time goes on. At this moment I’d say we’re more likely to be relegated than stay up, but that would be the same if it’s Potter or if we’d stuck with Hughton.

I just hope we can give the new fella the time and patience he’ll need to get his ideas across.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Probably a few more tonkings but hopefully if we are more attacking ourselves then probably a few more wins too. Expecting less drawn games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here