Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Assuming we appoint Graham Potter, your gut feeling on next season

How will Potter do next season?

• Total voters

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If that involves players actually running into spaces to receive passes, then I'm all for it. I got sick of watching our players looking to make a pass and throwing their hands in the air in frustration as everyone else was just static, waiting for the man on the ball to move into space in order to pass to their feet.

More fitness, more desire to get the ball. If you have the ball, the opposition can't score. Simples.

Of course we're going to get picked off by the quality teams. That's life. I expect it.

I'd like to see us show less respect and fear for the other 'teams like Brighton' - especially at home.
Good points, hard to argue with any of it. We were SHIT at even looking for space, let alone finding it. A massive change in approach was needed, hope we have it coming up.

Let’s bin the fear of every other team, it was embarrassing and shit to watch. Fear of getting beat was our mantra last season. This came across in the way we played, any confidence in taking the game to the other side was overridden by a complete lack of confidence in being able to do it.
There are lots of us agreeing with opinions like these. Potter isn't stupid and I'm sure he'll not be over-awed by the PL. Cautious at first maybe but I'm looking forward to seeing what he might bring to us.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I think our mistake was not strengthening in January, it made Newcastles season imo, however Hughton is a legend and his time had come , I spend a lot of money home and away and it got boring at both to be frank.
I will back whatever happens as Bloom had to do something and I think from big sam-hughes-and the rest of the old boys this feels a breath of fresh air ...........nervous but not worried......yet

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As we currently stand, relegation.

We do not have the players to play too open and ‘expansive’, and would frequently be caught out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
It will be a season of transition but with clear signs of progress into Potter's philosophy, leading to (hopefully) a 4th PL season where we can kick on as a footballing side. A realistic aim would be 13th or 14th which would constitute great progress, but ultimately the bottom line will be to survive more convincingly than this season, and if that means finishing 17th again but more comfortably above 18th I'll take that. Don't see us blowing anyone away with tiki taka football but we'll be more competitive and expansive, perhaps leaving us more vulnerable defensively but looking more dangerous as an attacking threat and more enjoyable to watch. Several players key to the Hughton era will be phased out gradually over the course of the season and likely gone next season - big task for Potter to bring in more progressive players without wrecking the dressing room and squad cohesion like happened to Fulham

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Promotion battles,are more fun than relegation ones,especially with the parachute money.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
I'm pessimistic to be honest. It seems to me the board have taken the easy way out of a change in manager to appease the fans. What happens now will entirely depend on spending big and a massive squad turnover. Will that happen? What do you think?

I was critical of Hughton but he wasn't the real problem, the woeful signings were.... plus all our key goal-scoring players (Murray, Gross, Jose) turning shit at the same time.

What I think we are losing sight of is that Hughton's pragmatism managed that dire situation, not perfectly by any stretch but better than most would have, including our new guy I fear.

I don't think the board sacked Hughton to appease the fans. Results, performances and the general air of negativity were the contributing factors. Nor do I believe wholesale changes are needed to the squad and here's the rub, was Hughton the reason our new signings and the squad in general under performed? Or are our players and recruitment team lacking? I think Graham Potter will answer those question as the season unfolds.

I hope and believe our new manager (all being well) will bring more out of our squad than Hughton was able to. :bhasign:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Relegation fight, and as it stands going down.

Needs massive spend, more than last summer and at least a couple of first team players with experience from the off.

Let's hope this appointment comes with the necessary wherewithal to plug the gaps in our team with serious quality.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good points, hard to argue with any of it. We were SHIT at even looking for space, let alone finding it. A massive change in approach was needed, hope we have it coming up.

Let’s bin the fear of every other team, it was embarrassing and shit to watch.

Losing 1-0 to Man City in the FA Cup was more embarrassing than losing 6-0, like Watford?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’m firmly in the ‘players are more important than managers’ camp so it will be a challenging summer.

IMO a club the size of the Albion needs to get 70% of transfers ‘right’ and Locadia, Bissouma, Andone, Ali J, Montoya don’t come close to that and we won’t find out about Burn, Tau and McAllister for some time, perhaps never.

Add to that injuries making Izquierdo & Groß a fraction of their former selves and we’ve got to hit some bullseyes over next few months.

I don't think the board sacked Hughton to appease the fans. Results, performances and the general air of negativity were the contributing factors. Nor do I believe wholesale changes are needed to the squad and here's the rub, was Hughton the reason our new signings and the squad in general under performed? Or are our players and recruitment team lacking? I think Graham Potter will answer those question as the season unfolds.

I hope and believe our new manager (all being well) will bring more out of our squad than Hughton was able to. :bhasign:

Yes I get that's the prevailing theory that the players are better than what they showed this season. I just don't happen to believe it's true, and it's more likely Hughton got them overperforming in the first half before they naturally found their inadequate level.

So I think Potter could be on a hiding to nothing here. The big rider being if the club spends massively. Which I don't think it will.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm pessimistic to be honest. It seems to me the board have taken the easy way out of a change in manager to appease the fans. What happens now will entirely depend on spending big and a massive squad turnover. Will that happen? What do you think?

I was critical of Hughton but he wasn't the real problem, the woeful signings were.... plus all our key goal-scoring players (Murray, Gross, Jose) turning shit at the same time.

What I think we are losing sight of is that Hughton's pragmatism managed that dire situation, not perfectly by any stretch but better than most would have, including our new guy I fear.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Another question might be: who would you most trust to keep us in the Premier League - Potter or Hughton? I think this is a huge gamble by TB. Despite coming close to going down, I think CH was unlucky with dud signings and injuries. And in the end he just about got the job done. He is tactically adept at nullifying the opposition. I think we will be on the end of a few 6-0's ourselves next season and could well end up doing a Fulham - trying to play expansive football but getting picked off by teams that are simply better than us.

Hughton for me. Agree with everything you said.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
We're going to be in a relegation fight - and definitely one of the three favourites for the drop.

What we want to see is belief that we can win against other teams in the lower parts of the table - and then to take some of that attitude over into matches against the top half-teams, too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We're going to be in a relegation fight - and definitely one of the three favourites for the drop.

What we want to see is belief that we can win against other teams in the lower parts of the table - and then to take some of that attitude over into matches against the top half-teams, too.

It is not definite that Villa will beat Derby.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People say this is a gamble as he has no experience. But what’s the alternative? The only proven Premier League managers who will entertain the idea of Brighton are the usual suspects Hughes, Big Sam, Purdue, Pulis etc. Id much rather we employ a hungry young manager with fresh ideas. The worst that can happen is we get relegated.....which really isn’t that big a deal. Pro Potter! And he will do well!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

We have been in the top flight for two seasons now and all three of the teams coming up have not had a basis of parachute money, and will likely need major first team/squad changes.

If we are one of the three favourites for the drop then it is an absolute failure on our part not to capitalise on being able to offer more money to prospective signings, and failure not to use our financial clout from being on the gravy train to bring in established signings.

As for the bookies, it will all depend on our transfer spend which admittedly needs to be substantial.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
So I think Potter could be on a hiding to nothing here. The big rider being if the club spends massively. Which I don't think it will.

And we'll have £3m+ less money to spend on players after we've paid his and Hughton's get out clause, it seems.

Whether you're positive or negative about Potter, it's certainly a massive gamble by Tony that could very easily not pay off.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
People say this is a gamble as he has no experience. But what’s the alternative? The only proven Premier League managers who will entertain the idea of Brighton are the usual suspects Hughes, Big Sam, Purdue, Pulis etc. Id much rather we employ a hungry young manager with fresh ideas. The worst that can happen is we get relegated.....which really isn’t that big a deal. Pro Potter! And he will do well!

Good response, I would rather someone progressive than any of the usual one-trick ponies that surface whenever a Premier League manager vacancy occurs

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As we currently stand, relegation.

We do not have the players to play too open and ‘expansive’, and would frequently be caught out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is Potter (not checked for a few minutes), he isn't stupid and I would imagine he is fully aware of the playing style required. With regard to the 'we don't have the players' comment, maybe we do? Playing them in their best positions and in a new system might surprise a lot of us.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here