Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who did the bookies pay out on as City's second goalscorer yesterday?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Interested to know why the FA changed their mind on the Sterling / Jesus goal yesterday. Although the goal was undoubtedly Jesus's from a 'moral' standpoint, I'd be mightily p**d off if I'd had money on a Sterling hatrick, when the goal-line shot (which was hardly shown on TV) clearly shows it was Sterling's goal.

As usual, the commentators and pundits failed to understand the issues of perspective when looking at the halfway line shot and declared the goal as Jesus's.

I wonder what the FA were looking at to make them change their mind - dont they use the available technology? Maybe the bookies paid out on both 'scorers' (though I doubt it).

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 07.57.22.png

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Sky bet had it down as Sterling’s goal straight away. Not sure why there was any confusion as goal line technology should have clarified it immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Heard a bit of post-match stuff on Talkshite and they were banging on about Sterling's hat-trick. Cross over to 'Moose' in the tunnel and he says something along the lines of "Although Sterling didn't get a hat-trick today..."

So even one STATION can't make up its mind [emoji2357][emoji2357]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They said on telly yesterday that the FA gave it to Jesus but I just don’t understand their logic. If Sterling had cleared the ball instead of kicking it goalwards, it would not have counted because it hadn’t crossed the line. VAR is a complete dogsmess.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sky bet had it down as Sterling’s goal straight away. Not sure why there was any confusion as goal line technology should have clarified it immediately.

I was surprised we didn't see a goal-line technology thing, freezing the ball at the moment Sterling connected with it. Seems somewhat strange that wasn't rolled out...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
goalthief.JPG

Looks already in, to me. Goal poaching is pathetic, Sterling should be ashamed of himself. Stealing a goal from Gabriel Jesus like that is pathetic. He needn't have bothered as it turned out, he would get to scuff in a couple of his own. I know the narrative around Sterling has changed now, and he's some kind of messiah, but he's the same grubby 6 yard box merchant to me that he's always been.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t know if it’s relevant, but, in the first Barcelona v Liverpool CL tie, I had Suarez for first goalscorer. He had a weak shot that I thought was going wide turned in by a Liverpool defender, Van Dyke, I think. The goal was initially given as Suarez, and they immediately payed out, it was then given as an ogie, and they took the money back.

When I next checked my account, a couple of days later, they had paid out again. I still think it was an own goal, but if they are willing to give me the money, who am I to turn it down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The whole ball isn't over the line, so it's not already in. The camera angle you've used hasn't helped you there. See this one:

That second one isn’t conclusive though....as his foot is behind the ball you cannot see if it’s touching the ball at that moment or not. His foot could be a few inches away and prior to any contact.

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
I think you're probably right about it being Jesus' goal, but absolutely nothing else. Sterling is very obviously a class player. Just look at his goal tally.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I got paid out on Sterling, then had it taken back, then paid out again.

Honestly couldn’t believe the BBC hadn’t cleared it up an hour later!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
View attachment 109852

Looks already in, to me. Goal poaching is pathetic, Sterling should be ashamed of himself. Stealing a goal from Gabriel Jesus like that is pathetic. He needn't have bothered as it turned out, he would get to scuff in a couple of his own. I know the narrative around Sterling has changed now, and he's some kind of messiah, but he's the same grubby 6 yard box merchant to me that he's always been.

The whole ball isn't over the line, so it's not already in. The camera angle you've used hasn't helped you there.

On the contrary [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]. I think it’s clear from the rest of his post, that the angle used absolutely has helped him, (to support his prejudice against the player)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
View attachment 109852

When will fans of the game learn the rules and learn the science behind camera angles :lol:

It’s like the corner out of the quadrant - it pretty much never is (from an aria view part of the ball only needs to overlap part of the line.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That second one isn’t conclusive though....as his foot is behind the ball you cannot see if it’s touching the ball at that moment or not. His foot could be a few inches away and prior to any contact.

Also correct.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Also correct.

It is true, but I think you can use the two angles together to identify the instant of contact and apply it to the goal-line angle. This was the freeze-frame from the tele from the one occasion they did show it.

It always amazes me that people can have a lifetime of seeing things their eyes, but fail to understand the concept of parallax.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It is true, but I think you can use the two angles together to identify the instant of contact and apply it to the goal-line angle. This was the freeze-frame from the tele from the one occasion they did show it.

It always amazes me that people can have a lifetime of seeing things their eyes, but fail to understand the concept of parallax.

Correct. Just need to check both frames which I’m sure they’d done. And yes, it infuriates me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here