Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's above minimum wage for an under 25 and rolled up holiday pay is not illegal providing it is clearly defined in the contract and on the wage slip.

Club are doing nothing illegal here. The question of are they paying what the role is actually worth is an entirely different one.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Wonder how many minutes/seconds it takes Murray to earn £8.04...

Remember hearing about a book that put the top footballers earnings into perspective...I think Messi could buy a top of the range BMW with his money earned during the half-time break or something similar !

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I used to play football with a lot of the junior team coaches. Mostly graduates with sport science degrees (1 was part of gus's 1st team player analysis team). All earned f all & the club was taking the p out their dream jobs - but i guess that's supply & demand..

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
https://www.cloudonlinerecruitment.co.uk/bhafc/VacancyDetails.aspx?VacancyID=37
Pay is £8.04 plus holiday pay (£9.01).
Minimum wage is £8.21
It's illegal to include holiday pay with your hourly wage, it must be paid when you take a holiday.

Perhaps unwise to defame the club in your title. It’s not as though the club or its CEO are known to read NSC, or that they take the good name of the club seriously.

Defame? Yep, as others have already pointed out, you’re factually incorrect. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 2719

Only if the applicant is 25 or over. Given they are probably trying to attract uni students to do the role they are paying what they should.

So for example, if I applied (over 25) I wouldn't get it because of age, who would have thought ageist were out there!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was prepared to get angry at this given the title of the thread, however considering when I was at uni, £27 every other weekend for easy work around the corner from me would have been very welcome.

I think you're right in that it is aimed for uni students. Can't imagine anyone else would do it for that kind of money.

I'm tempted, but I'm retired.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So for example, if I applied (over 25) I wouldn't get it because of age, who would have thought ageist were out there!

They would just have to pay you the higher rate. There's nothing wrong with an employer advertising the lower rate ..... it sort highlights what type of applicant they would like.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Perhaps unwise to defame the club in your title. It’s not as though the club or its CEO are known to read NSC, or that they take the good name of the club seriously.

Defame? Yep, as others have already pointed out, you’re factually incorrect. :facepalm:

Besmirch
It's besmirch :wrong:

And the club's recruitment may sometimes be criticised, they aren't gonna get this wrong though are they!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Here we go again...

At least Deputy Barber would have had a late night with Potter negotiations.

I expect a similar response to the last similar accusation.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You cant take holidays with this kind of job. So they are being paid £9.01 for 2.5 hours work x 23

Why can't you take holidays? Surely the same with any job. You might be available to work for 18 home games but are away for the 19th, that would count as a holiday?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So it is just over minimum wage. Still not great though.. minimum wage = part time little bit of extra money earner. I for one believe there is a direct correlation between earnings and quality of service in the service industry. If an employee is on the minimum wage, zero hours and part time. Do they really care about doing a good job (Some not all)? Or is it more of a show up and persevere through it to earn some cash? Therefore the service the customer receives is not the best quality or served with the best commitment. This explains for part of the poor service we as fans receive far more often than is acceptable on matchdays. Especially the kiosk service in the Stands. I can’t imagine Sodexo paying more than about the minimum. But it’s a kiosk at football match and fans put up with ques and slow poor service. So the club don’t care either. It also doesn’t help that kiosk staff are very poorly trained.
I went to a couple of Bristol City matches this season, the service was fast, happy and efficient. The same size ques were delt with speed about 2/3 times faster than at the Amex. Mobile beer and cider sellers, enthusiastically selling. It turns out Bristol Pay a decent hourly rate, plus commission on the amount sold. So they all really muck in and sell as much and as fast as possible. Perhaps Barber/Sodexo could learn something there.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm not having a go at the club, heck they have an HR team that know how to put earnings in offshore accounts, alegedly. I'm an employer and I can't advertise for 'under 18's only' as that's ageism but having seen Burger King advertise jobs at £8 it must be a way around any law.

D

Deleted member 2719

They would just have to pay you the higher rate. There's nothing wrong with an employer advertising the lower rate ..... it sort highlights what type of applicant they would like.

Okay, I am going for it then.

I plan to negotiate double that and then a win bonus and a + GD bonus and a pint of Guinness on match days followed by a double Remy Martin and in return I will go above and beyond to chuck out any Palace hoodies.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I'm not having a go at the club, heck they have an HR team that know how to put earnings in offshore accounts, alegedly. I'm an employer and I can't advertise for 'under 18's only' as that's ageism but having seen Burger King advertise jobs at £8 it must be a way around any law.

Advertising the lowest pay grade makes sense.

If you intend to pay 5p an hour over minimum wage and advertise the job as paying £8.26 an hour then you’ll end up interviewing a lot of very pissed off 18 year olds who can’t understand why their actual wage is £2 an hour less than the advertised wage. Do it the other way round and any 25 year old applying for a job should be able to figure out that they’re not going to be on £6.20

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here