Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What does the Albion mean to you?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
After a rough few days and the club entering a new phase what does going to the football mean to you?

As part pf the lost generation it was a club who i loved for no real reason other than i had to and we then got the amex and it become a club i only ever dreamed of. We have since made the prem and all had a lovely tome but everything we achieved was on another level that i could never dream of.

Now in my 30s its become more than football and a place i see friends and people i would otherwise not see. Regardless of where we go or who we might of been, the last 8 years have changed everything i see about football not is it a only my club and a place i love but its become a place where i see friends and meet new people who on the regs change my way of thinking.

I think in the last few days and months we have forgot what what we are and who we were and the outcome of whatever may be we are a special club and full of unreal people.

Im absolutely sheeboed but we are lucky to have a team we are proud of. Good or bad it brings people together and has changed this city for the best.

On a side note can we name every keeper since withdean without cheating. Go.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
On a quick proof read that mates little sense. But the sentiment is lets be proud of who we are where we come from and who we are now.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Munkfish, I suspect you may have come straight from the Fridat night drinking thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It's going to sound really cheesy, but its something I've thought about for a few years now.

The Albion means as much to me as anything else.
From 12-20ish it was the only real stable thing in my world, at the time. Funny saying that, as my first game at 10, was the last game at the Goldstone, total instability and uncertainty for the club, but I didn't really know much about what was going on, except there was a place (mostly Withdean) I could go to which was always familiar to me, with good friendly people all around. The score, league position, transfers and club politics didn't matter to me (at the time), just to be somewhere I felt at home, comfortable (despite the rain) and a place I was actually excited to visit.

My favourite times as an Albion were at Withdean, in my early to mid teens. Not that I don't appreciate where we've come, but it was a time and place that provided me some escape at a time I really needed it.

Sorry about the cheese, it's a good question & thread imo.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This season, circa £1500 season ticket to watch horrific football and ruin my weekend and probably a Wednesday too, hassle getting to and from the stadium, probably spend close to £50 in the lounge including lottery tickets every game, several away games which in all must of set me back min £100 for the trip.

I’ll be back for more of the same in August though so I guess that’s what the Albion mean to me.

el punal

Listen up newbies! I’ve been supporting the Albion now for 55 years - yes, that’s right FIFTY FIVE YEARS!! I tell you what, the passion never leaves you, it’s there for life. I was as excited when we won promotion in 2017 as I was when I saw us win “my first promotion” in 1972. Cheesy or not it’s a hell of an enduring love. :love:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Listen up newbies! I’ve been supporting the Albion now for 55 years - yes, that’s right FIFTY FIVE YEARS!! I tell you what, the passion never leaves you, it’s there for life. I was as excited when we won promotion in 2017 as I was when I saw us win “my first promotion” in 1972. Cheesy or not it’s a hell of an enduring love. :love:

Can only do 50 years service, but with you all the way!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
1. Somewhere to be on a Saturday (or Sunday and weekday evenings).
2. A different type of pain and suffering that I cannot attain from work alone.
3. Access to Bovril.
4. A chance to catch up with friends and family.
5. Opportunity to exercise my vocal chords without restraint.
6. Brief moments of unbridled joy.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Albion is an alternative name for the island of Great Britain. It is sometimes used poetically to refer to the island, but has fallen out of common use in English. The name for Scotland in the Celtic languages is related to Albion: Alba in Scottish Gaelic, Albain (genitive Alban) in Irish, Nalbin in Manx and Alban in Welsh, Cornish, and Breton. These names were later Latinised as Albania and Anglicised as Albany, which were once alternative names for Scotland.

New Albion and Albionoria ("Albion of the North") were briefly suggested as names of Canada during the period of the Canadian Confederation.[1][2] Arthur Phillip, first leader of the colonisation of Australia, originally named Sydney Cove "New Albion", but later the colony acquired the name "Sydney". these words the Romans derived the Latin forms Britannia, Britannus, and Britannicus ...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On a match day?

Joy, frustration, anger, sadness, warm glow, boredom, laughs, amusement, crushing disappointment and pride amongst other feelings. Sometimes I even miss Withdean too.

and you never know which one you’re gonna get, sometimes it’s a combination and changes from beginning to end

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I’m on about 45 years of my ‘alternative’ religion, although I do not get to ‘church’ as often as I would like these days. And a religion it becomes, or at least takes the place of. It provides sanctuary for a few hours on match day when everything else in the world seems crap, it provides eternal hope, it reminds you of where you came from. It offers great character examples of who you would aspire to be, and anti-heroes to mock and deride. It really is a never ending belief that everything will get better somehow.

That said, I sometimes wish I could turn my back and walk away. The obscene amount of money in the game really is unjustifiable when you look around the world and see how some people have to live. It is impossible in my view to make sense of players earning £1m a month to kick a ball around. In some ways I wish that I had never been taken to see Oldham at home in the early 70’s, or made friends with regular match attending fans of my own age a couple of years later as I would not now feel the need to contribute towards the gluttony of football.

But hey ho, you cannot turn off a lifetime highs, lows, joy, fear, adrenaline, love, hate and all that goes with it. What does the Albion mean to me? Enough that from 12,000 miles away I am already wanting to see next seasons fixtures so that I can plan my first trip home in September around them. UTA! #teamslikebrighton GOSBTS

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

44 years but with you all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mark Ormerod/Mark Walton
Mark Cartwright/Will Packham
FDM
Ben Roberts
Graham Smith

Florent Chaigneau ?

9B66C2C5-15EF-48E2-9A3F-1B607C11B05C.jpeg.

brighton-and-hove-albion-goalkeeper-football-shirt-2005-2006-s_40869_2.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
_and_Son is a moody teenager now and away from football communicates mostly in grunts from beyond a closed bedroom door.

Football is the one thing that animates him and so it represents pretty much our only bond while he goes through his most moody teenage years.
We travel to games together and stand together, sing together, celebrate together, etc. Then we go home talking football and every once in a while I can get an answer out of him from a question about life, how he's doing, what he sees as a future, etc etc. All stuff he won't grunt about on a midweek night.

We went to Forrest for that amazing goal by Ulloa for the playoff spot, we went to Wembley for the Semi, plus a number of other days out at Watford, Citeh, ManU, etc.

He goes to some away games and cup games with friends and I reckon we have a couple of years at most before he'll be asking to stand at home games with mates rather than me, but while we have this shared bond, I will make the most of it.

Win, lose, draw, premier League, championship... All pales into insignificance when trying to be the best father I can.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Living up North, the Albion itself (not to mention NSC) is an important link to home, the value of which cannot be overstated.

Oh, and Wayne Henderson, Dave Beasant, Rami Shaaban, David Yelldell and Andy Petterson to add to the list.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here