Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Not actually Dale Jasper Dale Jasper's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fifty years and a few weeks since my first home game.

For me, though, the Gillingham and early Withdean years coincided with utter turmoil in my life, and the weekly football (we started going to loads of away games back then) was a blessed oasis in a desert of stress. That was in the middle third of my Albion experience.

When I was at school it was hard to take the Albion seriously in comparison with the big clubs. I never much had a sense of belonging and place then, so my adherence to the football team was not automatic and not predicated by tribalism. And to be fair, nobody I went to school with was any different. We all had our school bags - Leeds, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (no ManU because they were shite at the time). Some of us went to the Goldstone, but there wasn't any talk of it at school. Maybe (for old HGSB lags) this was simply because I was in the L stream with all the swots, but....

But.....things changed when I hit 40, as noted above. I found myself thinking about the Albion all the time. Brooding, a lot of the time. But the days out......amazine. And the sense of belonging, pride in the team and the city (even though I haven't lived there for 40 years).....unbelievable football days....and met loads of new mates. Lovely people.

And now, **** me, we are in the PL, with an amazing professional well-run club, smashing stadium - a present and a future.

And I still think about the Albion every day. Coming on here doesn't hinder that, it has to be said
    Unlike every single other fan I bet you loved it when we moved to gillingham. A stroll to the ground.
    “With all due respect to Brighton, who the **** are Brighton?” Troopz, Arsenal Fan TV

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Very hard to define but I know it's very difficult to walk away from no matter how much I try

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      Hi @Stat Brother. We chatted on here a few weeks back when the Albion were at a very low ebb of playing shite football and in the midst of all those home losses, where you mentioned you lot might not remain STH’er’s.

If we make good signings and end up playing good, winning football under Potter, will that get your Amex mojo back?
      Giving up out season tickets was never about football, more so the amount of games and seat availability for a prolonged stay in the Championship.
      I'd miss too many games esp the Saturday/Tuesday ballache so I'd imagine the price of the ticket, even with the fantastic DD just wouldn't make sense.

Still thankfully that's now at least 2 seasons away (unless we're relegated by Christmas, as some seem to think)
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maltaseagull View Post
      55 years ago was 1964. We were Champions of Division 4 in 64/65 season. Did you miss that?
      I was there that season .100 goals!!
      Sort of missed it - saw one game. My true supporting bit started at the start of 1965/66 season. Hey - what’s a couple of months between friends!
      Just a hedgehog on the motorway of life.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Superphil View Post
      Florent Chaigneau ?

Attachment 109793.

Was he the surprise Magee keeper choice at Southampton? Or was that the dodgy Danish one on loan from Reading? So many shit keepers it's a bit of a blur

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      "NO MATTER WHAT (unless I don't like my seat)"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Horses Arse View Post
      Was he the surprise Magee keeper choice at Southampton? Or was that the dodgy Danish one on loan from Reading? So many shit keepers it's a bit of a blur

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      Just the one appearance for us, not sure who it was against, but he had a cracking shirt for it
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dale Jasper View Post
      Unlike every single other fan I bet you loved it when we moved to gillingham. A stroll to the ground.
      I have posted about this previously. It made it very easy to go to games, and I ended up going to all the 'home' games. My son moved back from Canada to live with me in 98 so his indoctrination started at roughly the same time.

But losing the Goldstone was a shocking moment. I was one of those who could not go near that part of Hove until the first league game at the Amex (when I went and paid my respects).
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk
      Not actually Dale Jasper Dale Jasper's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      I have posted about this previously. It made it very easy to go to games, and I ended up going to all the 'home' games. My son moved back from Canada to live with me in 98 so his indoctrination started at roughly the same time.

But losing the Goldstone was a shocking moment. I was one of those who could not go near that part of Hove until the first league game at the Amex (when I went and paid my respects).
      Admittedly I haven’t lived in Brighton for a long time but I still haven’t been to the new goldstone site. I’ve gone out of my way to avoid it. I want to preserve those memories of walking from the alliance and Leicester car park to the ground, with my dad.
      In my head the goldstone is still there!
      “With all due respect to Brighton, who the **** are Brighton?” Troopz, Arsenal Fan TV
      Loyal2Family+Albion! SULLY COULDNT SHOOT's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I moved to Brighton at the age of ten.....up to that point had a pretty messed up family life, always moving, lots of ups and downs.

Second week in Brighton, my stepfather's friend took me to see Peter Wards score a hat-trick fro the England under 21s at the Goldstone. My next match was Brighton and Hull a few weeks later. The friend moved on. I didn't. Since that day the Albion has been the one constant in my life and no matter where I've been in the world the Albion went with me.

What does Albion mean to me? Home. That is all and that is everything.
      Hughton's army is on it's way!
      Hughton's army is here to stay!
      And I would rather be anywhere else but in its way!
      (Thank you Elvis... Costello, not Manu).
      Loyal2Family+Albion! SULLY COULDNT SHOOT's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Anyone mention Scott Flinders?
      Hughton's army is on it's way!
      Hughton's army is here to stay!
      And I would rather be anywhere else but in its way!
      (Thank you Elvis... Costello, not Manu).