Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I can think of Garry Speed but none others, would you enlighten me please?

Robert Enke

Robert Enke (24 August 1977 – 10 November 2009) was a German football goalkeeper.
Enke most notably played for Benfica and Barcelona, but made the majority of his appearances for Bundesliga side Hannover 96 in his homeland.
He won eight full international caps for the German national team between the 1999 Confederations Cup and his death in 2009, and was part of the squad which finished as runners-up in Euro 2008.
On the evening of 10 November 2009, Enke committed suicide.
At the time of his death, he was widely considered to be a leading contender for the German number one spot at the 2010 World Cup.

...and from a different time...

Tommy Cook

Thomas Edwin Reed Cook (5 January 1901 – 15 January 1950) was an English cricketer for Sussex County Cricket Club.
He was also a professional footballer with Brighton & Hove Albion and Bristol Rovers, who made one appearance for England in 1925.
He later became manager at Brighton.
A right-handed batsman, he played 460 first-class games for Sussex, making 20198 runs with 32 centuries.
He was prolific in the seasons of 1933 and 1934 where Sussex were runners-up.
Cook served in both world wars, suffering serious injuries in the latter when part of the South African Air Force.
He committed suicide ten days after his 49th birthday.

Different times, different countries, but both top sportsmen in their own right.

It doesn't matter how much money or fame someone has.

Depression doesn't discriminate.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Robert Enke

Robert Enke (24 August 1977 – 10 November 2009) was a German football goalkeeper.
Enke most notably played for Benfica and Barcelona, but made the majority of his appearances for Bundesliga side Hannover 96 in his homeland.
He won eight full international caps for the German national team between the 1999 Confederations Cup and his death in 2009, and was part of the squad which finished as runners-up in Euro 2008.
On the evening of 10 November 2009, Enke committed suicide.
At the time of his death, he was widely considered to be a leading contender for the German number one spot at the 2010 World Cup.

...and from a different time...

Tommy Cook

Thomas Edwin Reed Cook (5 January 1901 – 15 January 1950) was an English cricketer for Sussex County Cricket Club.
He was also a professional footballer with Brighton & Hove Albion and Bristol Rovers, who made one appearance for England in 1925.
He later became manager at Brighton.
A right-handed batsman, he played 460 first-class games for Sussex, making 20198 runs with 32 centuries.
He was prolific in the seasons of 1933 and 1934 where Sussex were runners-up.
Cook served in both world wars, suffering serious injuries in the latter when part of the South African Air Force.
He committed suicide ten days after his 49th birthday.

Different times, different countries, but both top sportsmen in their own right.

It doesn't matter how much money or fame someone has.

Depression doesn't discriminate.

Justin?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You lot are so desperate to prove your 'understanding of mental health' and to accusse me of 'fishing' that you have completely missed the point I made. I'm not denying mental health is an issue and indeed i gave two examples in my OP as to what I think would be circumstances which may well lead to depression. The point I was making was that I can't take millionaire footballers and a Prince seriously when they talk about having depression. They have no idea of the real world, no idea what it's like to struggle financially,they live in a world cocooned from reality. Danny Rose is an attention seeking individual.............boosting about the thousands he spends on a night out in London then talking about depression? Perhaps he should swap his life with someone on minimum wage and see what depression really is. If it is true that Man United pulled out of a deal to sign him because of doubts over his mental health who can blame them. Any industry would pull out of purchasing something for millions if they had doubts as to whether it would function correctly.

I don't doubt and I have enormous sympathy with people with mental health issues and I didn't say to the contrary in my OP. I've not had a particularly easy life myself but I guess I've dealt with it in my own way (by being a ******** many would say on here)!! But dare to express the 'wrong' view on NSC and get the full trendy liberal weight bearing down on you.

Acknowledge the amount of money you have and mental health are not necessarily but it don't half help I guess knowing 100k a week is gonna be rolling in for the 5 years.

Think Herr Tubthumper said 'many' rich footballers have committed suicide, I can think of Garry Speed but none others, would you enlighten me please?

German National keeper a few years ago, sadly the suicide rates appear highest in retired professional cricketers, no idea why

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Think Herr Tubthumper said 'many' rich footballers have committed suicide, I can think of Garry Speed but none others, would you enlighten me please?
Justin Fashanu
Robert Enke
Warren Aspinall was on the brink of it if you’ve ever listened to him
David Bairstow and Peter Roebuck were both recent England cricketers and there are over 150 cricketers who have taken their lives.

Being wealthy means there is one less thing to worry about, suffering from depression is completely different issue.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is frankly bollocks. Of course young people can be persuaded not use drugs, smoke, or get addicted to alcohol. The problem generally is bad parenting.

That’s very often baloney. Kids break away, even from the most attentive and loving of parents, to do as they please. They’re over 16 and fit in with peers taking ‘stuff’.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You lot are so desperate to prove your 'understanding of mental health' and to accusse me of 'fishing' that you have completely missed the point I made. I'm not denying mental health is an issue and indeed i gave two examples in my OP as to what I think would be circumstances which may well lead to depression. The point I was making was that I can't take millionaire footballers and a Prince seriously when they talk about having depression. They have no idea of the real world, no idea what it's like to struggle financially,they live in a world cocooned from reality. Danny Rose is an attention seeking individual.............boosting about the thousands he spends on a night out in London then talking about depression? Perhaps he should swap his life with someone on minimum wage and see what depression really is. If it is true that Man United pulled out of a deal to sign him because of doubts over his mental health who can blame them. Any industry would pull out of purchasing something for millions if they had doubts as to whether it would function correctly.

I don't doubt and I have enormous sympathy with people with mental health issues and I didn't say to the contrary in my OP. I've not had a particularly easy life myself but I guess I've dealt with it in my own way (by being a ******** many would say on here)!! But dare to express the 'wrong' view on NSC and get the full trendy liberal weight bearing down on you.

Acknowledge the amount of money you have and mental health are not necessarily but it don't half help I guess knowing 100k a week is gonna be rolling in for the 5 years.

You seem to be continuing to confuse mental health, an emotional and biochemical issue, with financial status and employment status, an economic issue. You pay lip service to this, you say you acknowledge it, but everything you say points to you not really understanding that depression isn't about having 'a hard life', it isn't about how hard you work, how little you're paid. It isn't about nonsense cliches like 'living in the real world' (as if scraping by on a shoestring budget is the only life that's 'real').

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The OP isn't. Sad really that if someone dares express the 'wrong' opinion on here you get accussed of fishing.

It's more out of hope that you are accused of fishing, lest your views be genuine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Justin Fashanu
Robert Enke
Warren Aspinall was on the brink of it if you’ve ever listened to him
David Bairstow and Peter Roebuck were both recent England cricketers and there are over 150 cricketers who have taken their lives.

Being wealthy means there is one less thing to worry about, suffering from depression is completely different issue.

Summed up nicely.

Mental illness is getting the attention it deserves. As with cancer and other purely physical conditions, mental illness can strike anyone, irrespective of their wealth or (sought after) vocation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The OP isn't. Sad really that if someone dares express the 'wrong' opinion on here you get accussed of fishing.

Why millionaire footballers? Why not millionaire golf players, or tennis players, or even pop stars?

Marriage breakups, injuries, being released from a club at the end of a contract, insecurity of not knowing if you're going to be selected. These can all add up. I've read some players have never heard from the manager the whole time they were at a club.
Does money buy happiness, contentment and peace of mind?

I think you know the answer and it isn't pull yourself together because you've got a big bank account.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why millionaire footballers? Why not millionaire golf players, or tennis players, or even pop stars?

Marriage breakups, injuries, being released from a club at the end of a contract, insecurity of not knowing if you're going to be selected. These can all add up. I've read some players have never heard from the manager the whole time they were at a club.

I think you know the answer and it isn't pull yourself together because you've got a big bank account.

You are sadly wasting your time.

The professor of pull yourself together has spoken, and we all need to give our heads a wobble,

Incidentally, à propos of nothing, is it possible to be too thick to suffer from depression? ???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I genuinely believe the OP simply mis-understands that depression can hit all forms of life and really has nothing to do with status, wealth and other factors.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I think the problem with people understanding depression is they think of it in terms of someone feeling depressed because their life is crap and therefore if someone has a seemingly good life it doesn’t make sense that they are depressed.

If depression is viewed like other mental health illnesses such as bipolar or schizophrenia, i.e. it’s an internal condition in the brain and not a reaction to outside conditions, it probably makes sense that anyone can suffer from it.

I’m not expert in the matter so the above might not be completely correct but I think it’s sort of correct.

I think you’ve got it spot on bud
Nothing external causes it
Nothing external can fix it

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

It helps.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On a positive note, NSC is indicative of the recent progress made in society. The overwhelming majority posting here come across as caring, understanding and speak freely about mental illness without reticence.

That may not have been the case just a few years back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here