Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
It really f**king doesn't.

Poverty and depression are not the same thing.

Oh yeah and way to support one of our own players who risked this sort of ridiculous prejudice by admitting his own battles after the death of his father and the break up of his marriage.

Yes it does. I had my own battles after the death of my father, wasn't just exclusive to AK ya know.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes it does. I had my own battles after the death of my father, wasn't just exclusive to AK ya know.

To be fair I suspect many people have suffered when a parent has died no matter what their status

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Tell you what, this thread has done a good job of digging out the biggest c***ts on NSC.

What a sad way to see the world.

Not everyone follows the 'acceptable' trendy liberal line ya know. How can anyone take a bunch of millionaire footballers and the future king of England talking about depression seriously? Perhaps they should be confronted by some hard working people who work in a dull job and earn a pittance and explain their 'depression' to them. I will sympathise all day long with genuine hardship but a guy on 100k a week talking about depression?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Not everyone follows the 'acceptable' trendy liberal line ya know. How can anyone take a bunch of millionaire footballers and the future king of England talking about depression seriously? Perhaps they should be confronted by some hard working people who work in a dull job and earn a pittance and explain their 'depression' to them. I will sympathise all day long with genuine hardship but a guy on 100k a week talking about depression?

Give it up, you are wrong. It’s not a matter of opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

AK’s bereavement grabbed headlines because he’s adored by a fanbase and because the club/players reacted to support him. That’s natural at a football club with a mass following.

On a human level, AK was as sad as anyone losing a loved parent, bereavement lasts a long time.

His bank balance didn’t prevent the pain.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I know it has been stated previously but you are missing the point, depression is not just a wealth / status issue

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Wow. So much ignorance in one individual.

I hope your loved ones never suffer a bout of depression because it is soul destroying and without the unconditional support of those nearest to you, it is all too often fatal. And you would be no support at all. In fact you would be a liability and no one deserves to be reliant on someone like that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think you’re on a wind up now and/or the Friday evening booze is kicking in.

Sleep tight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On a positive note, NSC is indicative of the recent progress made in society. The overwhelming majority posting here come across as caring, understanding and speak freely about mental illness without reticence.

That may not have been the case just a few years back.

This.

But....stay angry and militant. Alf Garnet and his stumpy progeny are still alive and well.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Fvck me sideways.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think you’ve got it spot on bud
Nothing external causes it
Nothing external can fix it

External factors can contribute towards it; career, family loss, relationship breakdown etc. That's the struggle with mental health, it affects everyone differently.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

I’ll repeat what I said to you earlier but you’ve so far ignored.

Do you accept that a millionaire footballer could suffer from bipolar disorder? If so then there’s no reason they can’t suffer from depression. If you disagree then I’d suggest you don’t understand what depression is. Please take a step away from the arguing on this thread and do some research.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Time for bed.

This has to be one of the most pitiful threads (for the OP) in the history of NSC.
I'm reminded of Ron Atkinson, when he went on racism awareness training (for a fee) on the telly.
You couldn't tell the absurd arrogant **** anything.
And then we never heard from him again.

Hopefully history will repeat itself.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
The OP also appears to have forgotten that the future king lost his mother when only a boy, so not surprising he may have mental health issues. I still to this day think could I have done more 26 years ago to save someone I loved from taking their own live, I never want anyone else to go through that pain, so everyone ignore the OP’s comments and just look out for you family, friends, neighbours and colleagues

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think Herr Tubthumper said 'many' rich footballers have committed suicide, I can think of Garry Speed but none others, would you enlighten me please?

I said “a few.” The point being my extreme examples are the tip of an iceberg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It helps.

Out of interest, where does the financial threshold lie when it comes to depression? Obvs Danny Rose is too rich. I’m relatively poor. But those with middling income need to know if they can be depressed or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Time for bed.

This has to be one of the most pitiful threads (for the OP) in the history of NSC.
I'm reminded of Ron Atkinson, when he went on racism awareness training (for a fee) on the telly.
You couldn't tell the absurd arrogant **** anything.
And then we never heard from him again.

Hopefully history will repeat itself.

I hear you. But reading the numerous responses gives me a lot of hope and shows the OP is on his own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here