Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Football and mental health

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

40 Not allowed!
      I don’t agree with a lot of what you have typed. I have spent a lot of my professional life working in the area of neuroscience so I’m acutely aware of what depression is, it’s debilitating affects and its ability to impact anyone seemingly indiscriminately. My mother suffered from it. 2 good friends have suffered. And replying specifically to your post it’s a massive problem with middle aged men.

Your attitude really does not help.

Yours, a liberal snowflake.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

6 Not allowed!
      PS that’s the polite response
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

9 Not allowed!
      I think the problem with people understanding depression is they think of it in terms of someone feeling depressed because their life is crap and therefore if someone has a seemingly good life it doesn’t make sense that they are depressed.

If depression is viewed like other mental health illnesses such as bipolar or schizophrenia, i.e. it’s an internal condition in the brain and not a reaction to outside conditions, it probably makes sense that anyone can suffer from it.

I’m not expert in the matter so the above might not be completely correct but I think it’s sort of correct.
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.
      Mental Health Problems are a ''State of Mind'' - Money fame or material items are not a penicillin which renders human beings immune to it.

3 Not allowed!
      W.T.F. !?
      Palacefinder General - Hunting undercover Palace fans on NSC since 1696

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      I don’t agree with a lot of what you have typed. I have spent a lot of my professional life working in the area of neuroscience so I’m acutely aware of what depression is, it’s debilitating affects and its ability to impact anyone seemingly indiscriminately. My mother suffered from it. 2 good friends have suffered. And replying specifically to your post it’s a massive problem with middle aged men.

Your attitude really does not help.

Yours, a liberal snowflake.
      Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

12 Not allowed!
      You really are part of the problem, @Beach Seagull.

Mental health is not comparative, it's not a competition. It doesn't matter how much money you have, as in Danny Rose's case. Everyone is in their own balance, which can tip either way very suddenly. And I say that as someone trying to tip the scales back the other way to get on a more even footing again.

7 Not allowed!
      "You don't know how good you've got it" applies to David Bendtner when he complains about not being able to take his family skiing because he's a footballer. Boo ****ing hoo.

It doesn't apply when a footballer talks about depression.
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Palacefinder General View Post
      W.T.F. !?
      My thoughts exactly. I'm sure the OP is fishing.
      "Jesus Christ! That rabbit's dynamite!"