Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Not everyone follows the 'acceptable' trendy liberal line ya know. How can anyone take a bunch of millionaire footballers and the future king of England talking about depression seriously? Perhaps they should be confronted by some hard working people who work in a dull job and earn a pittance and explain their 'depression' to them. I will sympathise all day long with genuine hardship but a guy on 100k a week talking about depression?

This is truly baffling. Sad. This isn't a case of having the wrong opinion, this is very clear cut stuff. Anyone, anywhere can have a mental illness be it depression, bipolar disorder or anything else. Similarly to being gay, black, white, male, female, straight, it's not a choice it simply is. How can you not grasp this? I feel like you're about to make a new post about the earth being flat or something. Words rarely fail me but this time I am flabbergasted. Imagine gatekeeping mental health, lord.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not everyone follows the 'acceptable' trendy liberal line ya know. How can anyone take a bunch of millionaire footballers and the future king of England talking about depression seriously? Perhaps they should be confronted by some hard working people who work in a dull job and earn a pittance and explain their 'depression' to them. I will sympathise all day long with genuine hardship but a guy on 100k a week talking about depression?

Bloody hell. Just........bloody hell. Depression only affects the poor. Wow. Do some research FFS.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.
It was only last year Avicii (famous DJ) hung himself at the peak of his dream career, at just 28 years old.

He obviously didn't have depression considering what a great life he was living....

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It helps.

No, it doesn't. People try to deal with depression by drinking (which makes it worse), drugs, relationships, sex etc

Depression is not feeling fed up because life has gone wrong, as you can be depressed when there's nothing to be depressed about. It is sometimes down to a chemical imbalance in the brain, such as hormones. Post natal depression can be a killer.

I think you need to talk to a qualified person about a lack of empathy, or why you felt the need to demonstrate your ignorance on a public forum to make yourself feel better.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

Pretty surprising that in this day and age there are still people who can't grasp the fact that money and fame mean absolutely sod all if you are suffering from a mental illness. I thought that was generally accepted in this country now, although judging by the responses to the op it seems it is by most which is good...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

That's not depression, that's bad luck and circumstance.

Depression and mental wellbeing is happening inside your brain, money has nothing to do with it. If anything the more focus you put into money and obtaining material things there more likely you are to be depressed. Happiness comes from family, friends, relationships, kindness, doing nice things etc etc

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The OP isn't. Sad really that if someone dares express the 'wrong' opinion on here you get accussed of fishing.
But, unless I'm mistaken, it's not an opinion being expressed - it's fact. You're effectively saying that wealthy and/or successful people don't/shouldn't suffer from depression.

That's clearly incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Out of interest, where does the financial threshold lie when it comes to depression? Obvs Danny Rose is too rich. I’m relatively poor. But those with middling income need to know if they can be depressed or not.
I wouldn't bother, HT. I asked this yesterday and the silence was deafening.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I can see how being a rich athlete could make depression tougher.

Leading a privileged life in which you are expected to present a happy face, appease the public, answer to the press and all that can't be easy if you have depression.

The benefit I can think of is that you would have the money and support to access therapy for as long as you wanted and maintain your physical health. Being in a team and part of a club would also probably help significantly with loneliness.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
External factors can contribute towards it; career, family loss, relationship breakdown etc. That's the struggle with mental health, it affects everyone differently.

Maybe that’s true
I think it’s all about ones perception of events etc
that cause it rather than the event/happening
But yes everyone see it differently and that’s perfectly acceptable

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Dear NSC trendy liberal elite. Man up and grow a pair and pull ya selves together. I'm off to read the Daily Mail.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Dear NSC trendy liberal elite. Man up and grow a pair and pull ya selves together. I'm off to read the Daily Mail.

F**k off you c**t.

Having had numerous people explain why your 'opinion' was factually incorrect and having numerous people explain their own personal battles with depression you still don't have the balls to apologise for the comments you have made.

You are an uneducated, ignorant t**t and I hope you never come back.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I can see how being a rich athlete could make depression tougher.

Leading a privileged life in which you are expected to present a happy face, appease the public, answer to the press and all that can't be easy if you have depression.

The benefit I can think of is that you would have the money and support to access therapy for as long as you wanted and maintain your physical health. Being in a team and part of a club would also probably help significantly with loneliness.

I seem to recall Daniel "Harry Potter" Radcliffe saying as much in an interview about his alcoholism. Constantly having to be "on" because he's playing such a well loved character yet also feeling alone and separate from everyone because he's been made hugely famous and recognisable.

I think people forget that the rich and the famous are, when you remove the 'status' and the money, still just people with their own problems and minds and emotions.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
F**k off you c**t.

Having had numerous people explain why your 'opinion' was factually incorrect and having numerous people explain their own personal battles with depression you still don't have the balls to apologise for the comments you have made.

He's not worth it mate.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
F**k off you c**t.

Wow how ignorant are you reverting to such language. As I've said I sympathise with genuine depression but multi millionaire footballers and the future King of England talking about it really doesn't wash with me. Maybe to alleviate his depression Danny Rose went into London and spent thousands (as he said that he does). Prince William would've gone back to his life of unbelievable privilege.

How thick are you lot to completely miss the point I'm making. I have absolute sympathy with people with mental health issues, I lost my Father 3 years ago and in the same year found out facing redundancy after 20 odd years working for the same company, I do know what it's like to face difficult circumstances. I would be far more engaged with the documentary if it featured people who weren't so priviledged and who live in the real world.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here