Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If a millionaire footballer suffered from bipolar disorder would you accept that? If so, then the issue is with your understanding of what depression is. Yes money can make it easier to deal with because it takes away other problems that could compound the issue and means you can afford private help if you choose to seek help, but it does not make you immune from depression.

The bipolar sufferer Paul Gascoigne being a case in point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What interests me is how come everyone is suddenly talking about mental health. It seems like every second person has a mental health problem. Can't turn on the tele or the radio without someone bleating on about it. Turn the clock back 50 years and it wasn't a subject that was mentioned very often. There were a few folks in St Francis Hospital and that was about it. So what has happened? Is it just a passing fashion? Is it caused by too many people having too much "stuff" and a lot of other people getting overly upset because they don't have as much "stuff" as their friends and neighbours? How much of it is drugs related? How come it is now talked about as a major problem whereas 50 years ago it wasn't? Has the world gone mad?

It wasn’t talked about 50 years ago....you’ve answered your own question.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What interests me is how come everyone is suddenly talking about mental health. It seems like every second person has a mental health problem.

I genuinely think people are confusing depression with being plain old pissed off with their lives...

We all get those 'down' times, when shit always goes wrong, the bills pour in, you have an argument with the other half, work is crap, Brighton get thumped, your neighbour buys a brand new Mercedes and your Vauxhall Corsa now makes you look a chump in comparison - and they all swirl around and compound to drag you right down. When that happens, people seem to jump on the "I'm suffering from depression" train, which seems like a bit of a cop-out.

I think there needs to be as much education as to what real depression is as there is into the actual illness.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Just recently had client feedback on a major construction project were kicking off at present - mental health is huge and may now be responsible for 40% of HSE items on construction projects - all down to bullish stiff upper lip mentality, long hours, tight deadlines, living away from home. So this is a real issue no matter how much your paid. OP initial comment shows such ignorance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Turn the clock back 50 years and it wasn't a subject that was mentioned very often. ?

Good point. Nor was child abuse and it turns out everyone from that era was at it in retrospect.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

I thought your OP was a wind-up, but it appears not. My mother in law took her own life whilst suffering from depression. A former boss did the same a few of years ago. In neither case was the size of their bank balance a factor as far as we know. It also had nothing to do with expensive cars, mansions or shopping trips.

Breathtakingly offensive and insensitive post in my view. Hope you or no-one close to you ever suffers from this debilitating and very serious illness.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Really wish i hadnt opened this thread and seen the OP's post, i just hope he is fishing and not a genuine post.

As others have said on this thread but i just want to reiterate, depression can strike anyone, no matter how rich or poor they are. The more people like the OP realise that the more help those people that are suffering will get, the less lifes being lost. Sometimes it is those that you least expect will be the ones that are suffering in silence.

Go out and chat to your friends this weekend, have a beer, some pizza and a laugh. As you never know who maybe suffering in silence.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

I am the last person on this board to be called a liberal snowflakes but I have never seen a more ignorant stance on depression or mental health. You're one of those planks that probably advises "going outside" or "just cheer up" as a cure. You are a proper dickhead pal, and your ignorance is truly astounding.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have very little knowledge of depression apart from the fact my Father and Brother suffer from it. Neither are wealthy, and poverty seems to drag them into varying depressive states - and the medication just seems to make them even more muddled. I've had plenty of crap things happen to me, and I've been truly upset, cried and felt emotionally drained. That's not depression in the medical sense.

My Daughter has corrected me several times and told me it can often be a chemical thing, often completely unrelated to outside influences (wealth, fame etc). I tend to agree that's it's a chemically imbalanced state of mind, possibly.

I've been thoroughly miserable, properly miserable, to the core, sipping champagne and eating Caviar and Smoked Salmon in a First Class 'Pod' on a British Airways flight to New York. I was equally as miserable sat in the Burj Al Arab having Dinner, thinking my Aston Martin really needed servicing when I got home. Conversely, one of the happiest memories of any holiday is sitting with a 99p beer on the wooden decking of a 36ft x 12ft Mobile Home on a campsite in the South of France, staring at my knackered Peugeot 405 and wondering if it'll get me back home to Eastbourne... Go figure.

Money doesn't always make you happy. Some of the unhappiest people I've met have been extremely wealthy. Sometimes having wealth can be oppressive - they're always suspicious as to why someone wants to befriend them and what they want from it. I'm sure footballers can be the same.

I think the difference is "depression" isn't just plain old "being thoroughly down and pissed off" as I understand it....

I will say again that I'm no expert. It's only my tuppeny's worth.

I wasn’t feeling that chipper myself last Wednesday (8 May)[emoji23], when I saw the bill for 4 of us at Atmosphere, Burj Khalifa 5,000 AED...

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
What interests me is how come everyone is suddenly talking about mental health. It seems like every second person has a mental health problem. Can't turn on the tele or the radio without someone bleating on about it. Turn the clock back 50 years and it wasn't a subject that was mentioned very often. There were a few folks in St Francis Hospital and that was about it. So what has happened? Is it just a passing fashion? Is it caused by too many people having too much "stuff" and a lot of other people getting overly upset because they don't have as much "stuff" as their friends and neighbours? How much of it is drugs related? How come it is now talked about as a major problem whereas 50 years ago it wasn't? Has the world gone mad?

What an ignorant post. Jesus Christ

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don't know if I am one of the friends [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] was talking about as I can't remember how much I have discussed my period of depression following the death of my dad seven years ago with him. It completely messed me up at the time, and I couldn't function for a few months.

The OP shows a complete lack of understanding of what depression is, as has been clearly explained by several contributors to this thread. Difficulties in life can bring it on, negatively impacting the chemical and neurological balances in the brain - that's what happened with me - but for others these imbalances occur naturally. I am grateful that this is not the case for me.

Keith Flint, Kurt Cobain, Robin Williams, Gary Speed, Ian Curtis...amongst many others, seemingly had it all, but were so depressed that they took their own lives.

I guess the OP would have told them to 'man up'.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

50 years ago it was called having a "mental breakdown" and the individuals suffering were treated like pariahs. "Oh you know Brenda? Yeah, just last week she suffered from a mental breakdown" "Oh dear, well we won't see much of her around now will we".

Now we understand a bit more about it than then, and quite rightly. We're still not quite there though. Cue the OP.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
50 years ago it was called having a "mental breakdown" and the individuals suffering were treated like pariahs. "Oh you know Brenda? Yeah, just last week she suffered from a mental breakdown" "Oh dear, well we won't see much of her around now will we".

Now we understand a bit more about it than then, and quite rightly. We're still not quite there though. Cue the OP.

Exactly, admitting to MH issues just wasn't (and sadly still isn't) done, with far too many still 'in the closet' akin to concealing homosexuality in the 1950s and it's no wonder with vile, ignorant posts like goldstone"s one, not to mention the OP. Two people straight from the dark ages of ignorant thinking that thankfully we are leaving behind.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Actually I'll give you a clear example of the ignorance of those who don't understand mental illness.

My family has a history of mental illness, caused by a chemical imbalance - its affected 4 of us so far (and that includes me) and each time the family has supported them through it. That is all except my old man who on learning from my mum that I was having counselling and prescribed prozac (this was the early 90's) due to increasing thoughts of suicide, he turned to me and said "what the **** have you got to be depressed about? get over yourself". Never really had a close relationship with my dad....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Actually I'll give you a clear example of the ignorance of those who don't understand mental illness.

My family has a history of mental illness, caused by a chemical imbalance - its affected 4 of us so far (and that includes me) and each time the family has supported them through it. That is all except my old man who on learning from my mum that I was having counselling and prescribed prozac (this was the early 90's) due to increasing thoughts of suicide, he turned to me and said "what the **** have you got to be depressed about? get over yourself". Never really had a close relationship with my dad....

That's really sad, sorry to hear it.

I suppose he had more excuse to hold these views nearly 30 years ago than Beach Seagull and Goldstone do now - people weren't as educated about the subject then. But being your dad...no, it's beyond me that he could respond like that.

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

No.

No.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What an ignorant post. Jesus Christ
What do you expect from that poster. He only posts ignorant nonsense or offensive nonsense or (more often) ignorant, offensive nonsense.

The gradual trend in suicide is going down. A lot of that is due to the fact that as a society we now understand and treat depression.

Idiots like [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] and the OP just hinder the work that's done to encourage people to get help and not go down the darkest of paths

Shame on them. Disgusting and dangerous rubbish which costs lives.
2ee2547d8dff6c36ed713725e968fb91.gif

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

Since you mentioned "drugs related", I thought I'd tell you my story. I used to take ecstasy nearly every weekend while I held down a very physically-demanding job in the week. Was I entitled to let my hair down at the end of the week? Did anyone know the long-term damage of a raver's drug that caused no problems for bouncers or fellow clubbers at the time? Well, I can honestly tell you that I was very, very close to ending my life as I destroyed the feel-good receptors in my brain in the years that followed. After that I became a valium addict with my self-esteem at the lowest it could possibly ever become. The problem I have now is short-term memory loss and remembering people's names. Still, it serves me right for enjoying myself at weekends and deserve to be labelled as a down and out drug addict that you seem keen to point out that I chose a destructive path.

I can think of a number of things to call you but as I'm a polite person on here I'll settle on ignorant. I don't know much about you but my God, you are a very lucky person indeed to have never suffered thoughts of a way out of a prison in your mind and cause upset to family and friends around you.

We're discussing mental health illness now in a way that saves thousands of lives a year. But poor you - we should all just "man up" and keep a stiff upper-lip, shouldn't we? :wozza:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here