Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Royal example is the one I find the hardest to understand why anyone would think he "had it easy".

This is someone who was born to do a certain job. No choice, no option, from birth he has been told exactly how is life would be. He has had a series of nannies due to the inevitable absence of his parents, one of which died very publicly and which the prevailing 'conspiracy story' still touted by the less high brow media is that his grandparents arranged her death.
His childhood, teenage years, education etc were all played out in the public eye.

He literally never has a day off, he has had close protection with him (or near him) his entire life.

He has never been allowed to a have what we would consider normal life experiences.

It comes as no surprise to me, his mental health has taken a severe beating and I have the greatest respect for him entering the debate and dismissing some of the taboos.

Brilliant post. Prince Williams' life is literally a prison, albeit a materially comfortable one. He and I were born a few weeks apart, if someone gave me the chance to go back and swap my life for his I'd tell them to piss off!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I live in the real world not the namby pamby one. I believe in getting on with it and not feeling sorry for ya self. Ha ha lights blue touch paper.......

.....and still the shit keeps flowing from you. Incredible levels of ignorance, offensiveness and insensitivity despite numerous people trying to help you understand and despite you now knowing many on here have real experience of depression and it’s effects.

I can’t work out if you’re one of those twattish 14 year-olds that thrive on posting inflammatory stuff on twitter purely to wind people up, or just a genuine, weapons-grade ****.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
.....and still the shit keeps flowing from you. Incredible levels of ignorance, offensiveness and insensitivity despite numerous people trying to help you understand and despite you now knowing many on here have real experience of depression and it’s effects.

I can’t work out if you’re one of those twattish 14 year-olds that thrive on posting inflammatory stuff on twitter purely to wind people up, or just a genuine, weapons-grade ****.

Getting a kick out of trying to wind people up about the (literally) deadly serious issue of mental health, smacks of a pathetically immature persona.

Thankfully the good folk of NSC have rallied to make a mockery of the laughable reasoning.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I very nearly flounced off NSC for probably at least a couple of months after the horrifying posts to my vulnerable mind yesterday until I went for a coffee with a friend this morning.

She said she gets trolled a lot for being a single mum and she's one of the most thick skinned people I know. Her words to me were along the lines of "never let the bullies win. Their lives are so sad that they get a kick out of upsetting decent, sensitive and caring people".

Thank heavens she was there in her shop working. She could see the state I was in.

You lose, goldstone and Beach Seagull. :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I very nearly flounced off NSC for probably at least a couple of months after the horrifying posts to my vulnerable mind yesterday until I went for a coffee with a friend this morning.

She said she gets trolled a lot for being a single mum and she's one of the most thick skinned people I know. Her words to me were along the lines of "never let the bullies win. Their lives are so sad that they get a kick out of upsetting decent, sensitive and caring people".

Thank heavens she was there in her shop working. She could see the state I was in.

You lose, goldstone and Beach Seagull. :)

Well done fella, great to hear [emoji106][emoji106]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Royal example is the one I find the hardest to understand why anyone would think he "had it easy".

This is someone who was born to do a certain job. No choice, no option, from birth he has been told exactly how is life would be. He has had a series of nannies due to the inevitable absence of his parents, one of which died very publicly and which the prevailing 'conspiracy story' still touted by the less high brow media is that his grandparents arranged her death.
His childhood, teenage years, education etc were all played out in the public eye.

He literally never has a day off, he has had close protection with him (or near him) his entire life.

He has never been allowed to a have what we would consider normal life experiences.

It comes as no surprise to me, his mental health has taken a severe beating and I have the greatest respect for him entering the debate and dismissing some of the taboos.

He also worked on the air ambulance service, donating his wages to charity. It was this work that affected him mentally. He found it hard seeing life was so fragile.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

While anyone can suffer from mental health rubbish, the royal family is an anachronistic institution that perpetuates the chasmic inequalities in society - and the poorest are worst affected by and least able to receive effective treatment for mental health problems.

With some bravery and common sense, he could take a stand and decry the daft position he is in through nothing more than a chance of birth. It's great that he's using his standing to highlight important issues but if you or I were suddenly gifted his status I suspect we would feel embarrassed at the ridiculousness of the situation and want no part in a centuries-old hierarchy that creates privilege based on **** all.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Really? Easy to say that harder to do. I would gladly swap mental well being (whatever that is) for a few million and when I felt down I would get on a plane and sit on a beach drinking pina coladas.

I really have nothing to say to you other than IDIOT.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As someone that has lived with mental health all my life, I find the OP offensive to the point where I should report him/her. If you don't have it, don't report it, you idiot. You have no idea how the other half live and I now find you totally offensive.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
While anyone can suffer from mental health rubbish, the royal family is an anachronistic institution that perpetuates the chasmic inequalities in society - and the poorest are worst affected by and least able to receive effective treatment for mental health problems.

With some bravery and common sense, he could take a stand and decry the daft position he is in through nothing more than a chance of birth. It's great that he's using his standing to highlight important issues but if you or I were suddenly gifted his status I suspect we would feel embarrassed at the ridiculousness of the situation and want no part in a centuries-old hierarchy that creates privilege based on **** all.

Whilst not arguing the Republic/Royalist debate... That's for another thread. Even if he abdicated (or whatever it is called to remove yourself from the line of succession) he would still be hounded by the media, he would still have lost a parent at a young age and still have been born into the role and lived the life until he was old enough to make the call.

Whether the wrongs of inherited titles and privilege he would still face ALL of the same issues so absolutely top marks for him using the position he has to make public his own views and experiences on this topic.

You may not like the role but the man in it deserves respect for this.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whilst not arguing the Republic/Royalist debate... That's for another thread. Even if he abdicated (or whatever it is called to remove yourself from the line of succession) he would still be hounded by the media, he would still have lost a parent at a young age and still have been born into the role and lived the life until he was old enough to make the call.

Whether the wrongs of inherited titles and privilege he would still face ALL of the same issues so absolutely top marks for him using the position he has to make public his own views and experiences on this topic.

You may not like the role but the man in it deserves respect for this.

People call the Royals leeches, perhaps they are, however he is being proactive and he gets slated for it. If he was non active, he would get slated for it. He is in a lose lose situation.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

Couldn’t have put it better myself [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Stunned by the ignorance of one or two on here (but the attitude of most is encouraging).
I have a good job, decent pay, a nice house and a loving family.
Despite that I have had periods where I have been in tears and not known how I would make it to the next day.
One of the worst things is when people ask what is wrong - because there were times when I had no idea what was wrong - I was just uncontrollably unhappy.
Depression has nothing to do with wealth - anyone can suffer from it and those that do need support not criticism.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Unless I’m mistaken there’s only a couple of perps seemingly trolling?

It was Beach Seagull making more and more offensive and disgraceful remarks. As someone said when he was in a hole he kept digging to justify his outrageous remarks. If he'd just apologised on page 2 or 3 and said he didn't understand mental health I would have been able to forgive him. Instead he carried on and behaved like a total tit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was Beach Seagull making more and more offensive and disgraceful remarks. As someone said when he was in a hole he kept digging to justify his outrageous remarks. If he'd just apologised on page 2 or 3 and said he didn't understand mental health I would have been able to forgive him. Instead he carried on and behaved like a total tit.

After a while he was palpably enjoying his 15 minutes of fame on this thread. A sad individual.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m incredibly concerned that there are an awful lot of users of this site who are affected personally by some degree of mental health concerns, I hope you are all getting the support you deserve and need. [emoji106]

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I’m incredibly concerned that there are an awful lot of users of this site who are affected personally by some degree of mental health concerns, I hope you are all getting the support you deserve and need. [emoji106]

I think the proportions are normal and consistent over time. What's changed/different is that most of us see this as a relatively safe forum to talk about our own experiences and with the exception of a few f**ktards, receive encouragement and support and, hopefully, offer a lifeline to a few more to take the first step and say that things aren't great.

I honestly believe this is no more or less widespread than any other cross section of our general demographic or any different to any time since, maybe, WWII but the difference is in the bravery and resilience of those speaking up... Including Knocky, Rose, Crouch, William and many others.

And yes, I hope everyone is getting help and support and if anyone is put off commenting by the couple of d**KS here I am sure every single one of us who have spoken up would willing spare time for a PM from someone who is struggling to cope and needs to talk more privately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here