Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Chernobyl - TV series

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I caught up last night. Shocking how they knew that shutting it down would actually cause the power to increase, due to the graphite, but kept it quiet. Those ruskies have a lot to answer for.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shocking that clearing the room came down to Russian soldiers putting their lives on the line as they raced out and back on the roof to avoid a fatal dose of radiation because the Russian Government wouldn't admit to the true radiation levels when acquiring an unmanned machine from Germany to undertake the roof clearance.

Final episode next week, can't wait

Those scenes really gripped me too. Just the sheer manhours that they had to put in. In 90 second bursts. How did they get it done, all fumbling about with shovels in big face masks etc?!
That problem was solved by men just doing what had to be done, knowing at at least guessing, this shit will probably kill us. Phenomenal. Brave. Or obedient? Whatever, they did it. Staggering.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
All glowing reports it seems.
I did a nuclear control course about 2-3 years after the disaster. The authorities in this country knew how close Chernobyl was to an apocalyptic catastrophe for most of Europe. The result of four reactors worth of high dosage radiation would have affected the general population of Northern Europe for the best part iof 300 years plus. The cancer rate was predicted to have been 75% for a very large part of the population.
Britain would have escaped the worst fallout due to our Atlantic prevailing winds, but, the effects of Chernobyl would have still been devastating in this country.
It appears the whole of mankind owes those Russian heroes who prevented an explosion, a huge vote of thanks.
As someone serving in Germany at the time I am forever grateful to the clearing crews and what they did, the concequences are unthinkable.

I also think subconsciously the Chernobyl disaster lead to the end of the cold war. To that point the outcome of a nuclear war was all theory this introduced the reality of what would actual happen in Europe and changed a lot of minds.

Brilliant TV and although elements of artistic licence many reviews from locals praising it as being about as close to reality as possible and capturing the situation perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Shocking that clearing the room came down to Russian soldiers putting their lives on the line as they raced out and back on the roof to avoid a fatal dose of radiation because the Russian Government wouldn't admit to the true radiation levels when acquiring an unmanned machine from Germany to undertake the roof clearance.

Final episode next week, can't wait

Oh that's a shame. I was hoping there would be a few more episodes.

I've enjoyed every episode so far. It's really shocking what they had to do to avoid a catastrophic disaster. I knew about the guys going back in to release the water but I had no idea about them clearing the graphite on the roof, or the miners having to go underneath the core to make it safe. It's hard to comprehend just what it would have been like.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
If you're curious, the Ukranian Chernobyl Museum maintains an online database of all their information on the Liquidators. Sadly, it's all in Ukranian but Chrome translates it pretty well

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its been absolutely gripping. Great television, far better than I imagined it would be. The writing, the pacing, the effects, the performances, how it has portrayed the scale of the disaster so effectively, as well as gotten across in "laymans terms" some of the more technical aspects, without completely dumbing it down. All spot on.

Allowing the actors to speak in their own accents rather than attempting to put on a faux eastern european one, was also an excellent move.

And there's FINCHY

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I liked watching Game of Thrones for entertainment, but was it scary - no, not compared to Chernobyl. It was just a bunch of dragons and crazy Kings and Queens and some very good CGI - this stuff happened for real which makes it way more scary than GOT could ever be.

What I like about Chernobyl though is that amongst all the grim and horrific scenes there is still some great humour - like when the miners all went up to the Soviet mining minister and proceeded to plaster his nice blue suit in coal dust.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Those scenes really gripped me too. Just the sheer manhours that they had to put in. In 90 second bursts. How did they get it done, all fumbling about with shovels in big face masks etc?!
That problem was solved by men just doing what had to be done, knowing at at least guessing, this shit will probably kill us. Phenomenal. Brave. Or obedient? Whatever, they did it. Staggering.

I wonder what % now have health issues amongst those that were stationed there during the clear up

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could anyone breathe while the lad was trying to run off the roof?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe they will show some info at the end of the last episode

I've just watched the last episode and naturally they do.

I know I've now jumped ahead so I'll leave it there, instead I'll promote the Podcast.

I'm not one for 'companion pieces', but decided, on Sunday, to listen to the first one away.
I've now listened to the first 4, and will start the last one later, for me they aren't just a blowing smoke exercise to milk the popularity of the show, they are very much 'must listen'.

The detail they go into is eye opening, they talk about how and why scenes were shot and more importantly why some scenes weren't shown.

The creator of the show begins by explaining he feels the podcast's purpose is to help us separate the absolute truth, from probably truth and what is thought to be a truthful representation.

The amount of the absolute truth used in the show is amazing.
Assuming you're as jaded as I am to the Hollywoodisation of real events, you must listen to the podcast because for that reason alone it elevates the series to even greater heights.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Remarkable TV. Surely due a slew of awards. Thanks for the podcast tip Stat Brother I shall definitely give it a try.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Can't remember the last time I've waited each week to watch the latest episode of any show like I have with this. Just superb. That last episode was beyond words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here