Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Chernobyl - TV series

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If anyone's interest is increased sufficiently, a two day trip to Chernobyl is (honestly) the experience of a lifetime. I went a year ago (see images) and would highly recommend. Don't go for one day tour - it is eight hour round trip; you spend about three hours there and see a tiny fraction of two day experience.

The series is an accurate reflection of what is known about Chernobyl (several people have tried to piece it together). What the visit does is irrefutably take you back to moment in time and space when the state knew best, yet had to abandon the 'dream' in rapid time leaving exercise books on the desks, gym equipment ready for use, maternity wards ready with equipment, chillers with trolleys alongside (Pripyat was apparently one of first place in Soviet Union to boast a supermarket). It is all quite chilling.

A great series of photos!

A couple of questions: which company did you do the tour with, and where do you stay overnight?

The dosimeter you’re carrying shows beta radiation; are they measuring gamma too?

I’m guessing that that tray of “food” is unlikely to show up on the restaurant thread...?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
A great series of photos!

A couple of questions: which company did you do the tour with, and where do you stay overnight?

The dosimeter you’re carrying shows beta radiation; are they measuring gamma too?

I’m guessing that that tray of “food” is unlikely to show up on the restaurant thread...?

We used https://www.chernobylwel.com/. The guide was excellent. Accommodation was 2* in Chernobyl. no aircon, basic food. Very eerie as only a few maintenance staff and around 12 visitors in the whole town but the church (in my images) is still kept perfectly with no congregation. The overnight is a good part of the experience especially as you finish later on first day and start well before day tours arrive next day.

I cant remember the detail of the dosimeter reading except that guide said there are different ways of using the meter; I got confused. We were told that many Ukrainians think it is madness to go to Chernobyl (confirmed by a Swedish girl who works in Kiev) but 80,000 people a year do so and that number will grow astronomically since the series. Our guide took us to several buildings that are officially out of bounds (due to structural safety rather than radiation worries); we had to stop and be quiet a few times when she saw 'guards' and take diversionary routes to enter, My instinct is that the growth in tourists will restrict the accessibility of many buildings. I didn't bother checking my travel insurance....

Food in Ukraine is very healthy. Like many countries that have not had the evils of sugar thrust upon their diet, there are very few overweight people, albeit compensated by large number of smokers. Vegetables rule, even for breakfast.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit late to this as missed the series......but caught up with it over the last couple of nights. Absolutely gripping stuff, fantastically well made. Awards incoming I would think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit late to this as missed the series......but caught up with it over the last couple of nights. Absolutely gripping stuff, fantastically well made. Awards incoming I would think.

Now it's time to catch up with the podcast - I promise you it's as rewarding.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've just watched the last episode and naturally they do.

I know I've now jumped ahead so I'll leave it there, instead I'll promote the Podcast.

I'm not one for 'companion pieces', but decided, on Sunday, to listen to the first one away.
I've now listened to the first 4, and will start the last one later, for me they aren't just a blowing smoke exercise to milk the popularity of the show, they are very much 'must listen'.

The detail they go into is eye opening, they talk about how and why scenes were shot and more importantly why some scenes weren't shown.

The creator of the show begins by explaining he feels the podcast's purpose is to help us separate the absolute truth, from probably truth and what is thought to be a truthful representation.

The amount of the absolute truth used in the show is amazing.
Assuming you're as jaded as I am to the Hollywoodisation of real events, you must listen to the podcast because for that reason alone it elevates the series to even greater heights.

where do you download these podcasts?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
where do you download these podcasts?

'chernobyl podcast' will give you access to all the available outlets - take your pick.
I get all my podcasts from I-Tunes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can it be got just from the tinternet, i don't have an i-tunes account?

Blimey you're hard work tonight :lol:

Just copy and paste chernobyl podcast into Google, Bing, Ask Jeeves, Yahoo whatever takes you're fancy and you'll get links to everything including Youtube.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
cheers, got them off youtube, just an added faff having to convert them to MP3 for the car.
Why can't just make that a audio file to download, all the links i found were to just play them, rather than download for later listening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
cheers, got them off youtube, just an added faff having to convert them to MP3 for the car.
Why can't just make that a audio file to download, all the links i found were to just play them, rather than download for later listening.

Did you search chernobyl podcast audio download to arrive here:-

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i67j0i22i30.OGYzfcFxAFQ

So help me, in a minute, I'm gonna come round there and slap the back of your legs with a slipper.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Did you search chernobyl podcast audio download to arrive here:-

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i67j0i22i30.OGYzfcFxAFQ

So help me, in a minute, I'm gonna come round there and slap the back of your legs with a slipper.

Yep did those, it will let you listen to them, but not actually download them.
chen.jpg

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Out of interest, if you don't have an iTunes account, you must be using an Android phone? What app do you have to listen to podcasts?

No i have an iphone, have always had an iphone since the 3. i just don't use itunes.
I don't use the phone for podcasts i put them on a USB stick and listen to them in the car/van.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No i have an iphone, have always had an iphone since the 3. i just don't use itunes.
I don't use the phone for podcasts i put them on a USB stick and listen to them in the car/van.

That's what I do.

I download all my podcasts on I-Tunes, on my desk-top, which is synced with my Sony Walkman MP3.

The first two episodes were definitely the best thing I saw this year, by episode 5 I’d started to read commentaries about how much the writers had added and embellished and it put a damper on it for me. The issue was the show held up such a high standard of historical truth and the terrible nature of blurring invention and reality to a point where you don’t know the difference. The fact is when people remember Chernobyl they will now remember this TV drama instead of the real history, it’s an irony

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The first two episodes were definitely the best thing I saw this year, by episode 5 I’d started to read commentaries about how much the writers had added and embellished and it put a damper on it for me. The issue was the show held up such a high standard of historical truth and the terrible nature of blurring invention and reality to a point where you don’t know the difference. The fact is when people remember Chernobyl they will now remember this TV drama instead of the real history, it’s an irony

Once again, that's all explained in the podcasts, from which you'll get the full picture.

I was amazed that The Office's 'Finchy's main speech was actually verbatim and not scripted.

Once again, that's all explained in the podcasts, from which you'll get the full picture.

I was amazed that The Office's 'Finchy's main speech was actually verbatim and not scripted.

If you were talking about the show runner, I did read his responses to the criticisms of the show. I was still left with the nagging thing that too much was changed to live up the standards of Legasov’s speech on truth. No different to any historical drama of course

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here