Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tactician View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve written an opinion piece/ tactical breakdown of the Newcastle game -discussing Hughton’s dismissal and why in Bloom’s eyes he was no longer the man to carry us forward.

You can find the whole thing HERE: https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...-1-1-Newcastle
    Won the fans back? He lost me totally that day. His tactical change to something that clearly wasn't going to work the moment we saw how he'd lined them up showed a man who'd run out of ideas.

Re the tactical stuff, you've hit the nail on the head. It was painfully obvious to watch. What confounded the issue was that he made a tactical change soon after the goal but it didn't suit the personnel he had on the pitch. It wasn't until the change at half time (which really should've happened 20-25 minutes earlier) that the game started to turn around. And kudos to him for that, but this lack of decisiveness has plagued his management for years in terms of his lack of desire to adapt in game, to make proactive substitutions etc.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellor 3 Ward 4 View Post
      Agree to an extent - but why play Gross out wide and have Solly on the bench?
      Ultimately I think Hughton got to the point where he felt Gross was the only player he had that was going to really put the ball into a position to score from. Andone and Murray both starting, I don't think he could contemplate leaving Gross out, so the question for me on the day was why Izqueirdo and not Solly starting?

4 Not allowed!
      Have we ever played a real 4-3-3 and had 3 players attacking?

Whenever we claim to play that system it always looks much more like a 4-5-1 to me

For me tactically hughton had no answer for losing Groß and the new signings just did not fit into his more defensive minded system.

The Newcastle first half was a shambles and as others have said certainly not a game I would say won the fans back

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Forster's Armband View Post
      I totally agree. What I suppose Bloom has looked at is that Hughton didn't seem to realise this, perhaps Ashworth helped point it out. Do you think we could have played Propper or Bissouma in a number 10 role?
      It’s possible - I think Pröpper definitely has the ability, we’d have to see it happen to know if can return the numbers we need. The importance of Groß probably shouldn’t be understated, he got a very impressive amount of assists+goals in his first season. Bissouma: I think one of his main attributes is carrying the ball from deep, and his skill in tight spaces - ideally I wouldn’t want to lose that with him. He can be a PHENOMENAL player with us if he continues to improve the defensive side of his game.
      Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      Won the fans back? He lost me totally that day. His tactical change to something that clearly wasn't going to work the moment we saw how he'd lined them up showed a man who'd run out of ideas.

Re the tactical stuff, you've hit the nail on the head. It was painfully obvious to watch. What confounded the issue was that he made a tactical change soon after the goal but it didn't suit the personnel he had on the pitch. It wasn't until the change at half time (which really should've happened 20-25 minutes earlier) that the game started to turn around. And kudos to him for that, but this lack of decisiveness has plagued his management for years in terms of his lack of desire to adapt in game, to make proactive substitutions etc.
      All correct. My allusion to ‘winning the fans back’ was based on the general feeling of relief, that we had secured a huge point, stopped the slide and all but secured survival. My impression was that a lot of people’s desire for Hughton to go was results-based, it looked for a long time that we could go down. Also, for most seeing Hughton make the changes he did, and watching a very good second-half performance was enough to restore the faith. I felt that by full time, the 1st half tactical naivety had been overlooked somewhat -hence the article!
      Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      Ultimately I think Hughton got to the point where he felt Gross was the only player he had that was going to really put the ball into a position to score from. Andone and Murray both starting, I don't think he could contemplate leaving Gross out, so the question for me on the day was why Izqueirdo and not Solly starting?
      Fine - have Gross starting - but not out wide.
      Thanks Robbie - one day we'll name a stand after you.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post

The first half, to me, confirmed CH had lost the plot and needed to go. The second, and the Arsenal game after, suggested he might have found it again. I was "out" post Cardiff but slightly regretted that choice after Arsenal.

The first goal was an absolute crime and all down to the tactics. I had a massive rant about it.

Thanks @The Tactician great post.
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

0 Not allowed!
      So all the opposition has to do is basically tease Murray until he gives up, and then watch the space open in front of Groß for Ritchie to run into to compete with someone who has no pace?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The big thing for me that day was that Izquierdo was obviously not 100% fit, and Kayal was injured after about 20 minutes.

But both soldiered on until half time. Kayal should have been withdrawn immediately, it was so obvious, he was really struggling, but came back out for about 5 mins of the second half and then came off for Bissouma.

Izquierdo wasn’t withdrawn until 66 mins.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Tactician View Post
      All correct. My allusion to ‘winning the fans back’ was based on the general feeling of relief, that we had secured a huge point, stopped the slide and all but secured survival. My impression was that a lot of people’s desire for Hughton to go was results-based, it looked for a long time that we could go down. Also, for most seeing Hughton make the changes he did, and watching a very good second-half performance was enough to restore the faith. I felt that by full time, the 1st half tactical naivety had been overlooked somewhat -hence the article!
      All fair enough. I was relieved. A better side than Newcastle, who had more to play for, would've taken us apart that first half and made the second irretrievable. He was lucky they'd not done that in my view.

In terms of my desire for him to go, I think it relates to two simple things. If you're paying to go to football to the extent that you're fully invested in your team, then you want to see results comparative to your seasonal expectations (last year I hoped for survival hence my general happiness, this year I wanted to see progress, which I don't think he's delivered) and if you're not getting results then you need to be watching good football. Ideally you have both, but one without the other is acceptable. We'd had good enough results for our first PL season and a half, but it fell off the cliff in the second half of the season. Couple that with the dour style of football and you're certainly not on to a winner. For me, I'd lost the joy in going to games (and that's coming from someone who enjoyed going to the lower league games for years) and that wasn't going to change much based on a good second half viewing here or there.