Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

The day Hughton won back the fans...but lost the backing of Bloom

32 Not allowed!
    I’ve written an opinion piece/ tactical breakdown of the Newcastle game -discussing Hughton’s dismissal and why in Bloom’s eyes he was no longer the man to carry us forward.

A naive tactical set-up, players out of position shoehorned into the starting eleven, a glaring combination of errors swiftly exploited by his opposite number, Rafa Benitez. Bloom is always watching on from the stands as an Albion fan, and his concern after the Cardiff result was wholly understandable, but he opted to keep with Hughton and give him a chance to turn things around. However, seeing the Albion flounder in the first half against Newcastle may have made the chairmen’s mind up; the set-up was ironically so un-Hughton, reckless and dangerously vulnerable.
    You can find the whole thing HERE: https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...-1-1-Newcastle
    Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
    "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Excellent piece, thanks.

6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Tactician View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I’ve written an opinion piece/ tactical breakdown of the Newcastle game -discussing Hughton’s dismissal and why in Bloom’s eyes he was no longer the man to carry us forward.

You can find the whole thing HERE: https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...-1-1-Newcastle
      Brilliant piece of analysis and kind of summed up how I felt at the time. As well as you focussing on Gross in the wide position given it wasn't his natural game, for me it was Izqueirdo on the left who really failed to deliver any kind of penetration or threat. I could almost understand risking Gross on the right if you had a player on the left causing all the problems, but the decision was coupled with woeful form from Izqueirdo which just double ended the decision.

What it did highlight is that regardless of tactics, if you don't have the players to carry it out, you are screwed. Doesn't matter if you are the most tactically progressive manager on the planet, your tactics have to reflect the capabilities of the players. Dyche nearly found this out too late, in trying to expand their game Burnley's confidence was torn to shreds, he had to go back to robust rudimentary tactics that they only just got their belief back. Hasenhüttl recognised the untapped quality in the Southampton squad with Redmond and Ward-Prowse went from peripheral figures to central to their revival. You have to have the players to carry it out, and even though they were revived, both Burnley and Southampton did continue to stumble.

What we saw in 2019 was just about every tactical formation you could think of in front of a conventional back 4. One thing I don't think Hughton could be accused of is not trying different tactics and different lineups.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      You’re Graham Potter aren’t you?
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

2 Not allowed!
      That is a really informative article. I would imagine much of what you described had a bearing on Tony Bloom’s decision to sack Hughton - as in, had Hughton reached the end of the road in trying to motivate and coach the team successfully. Regardless of the reasons for his dismissal it was still a very sad day to see Chris set adrift after the fantastic work he has done for the club.
      Just a hedgehog on the motorway of life.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      Brilliant piece of analysis and kind of summed up how I felt at the time. As well as you focussing on Gross in the wide position given it wasn't his natural game, for me it was Izqueirdo on the left who really failed to deliver any kind of penetration or threat. I could almost understand risking Gross on the right if you had a player on the left causing all the problems, but the decision was coupled with woeful form from Izqueirdo which just double ended the decision.

What it did highlight is that regardless of tactics, if you don't have the players to carry it out, you are screwed. Doesn't matter if you are the most tactically progressive manager on the planet, your tactics have to reflect the capabilities of the players. Dyche nearly found this out too late, in trying to expand their game Burnley's confidence was torn to shreds, he had to go back to robust rudimentary tactics that they only just got their belief back. Hasenhüttl recognised the untapped quality in the Southampton squad with Redmond and Ward-Prowse went from peripheral figures to central to their revival. You have to have the players to carry it out, and even though they were revived, both Burnley and Southampton did continue to stumble.

What we saw in 2019 was just about every tactical formation you could think of in front of a conventional back 4. One thing I don't think Hughton could be accused of is not trying different tactics and different lineups.
      Thank you - and I completely echo what you say re Izquierdo, in this game and in others, he has not been at effective at all. He simply didn’t pose enough of a threat to cause Newcastle any problems at all, so the issues we faced down the right with Groß also applied to our left side too. I’ve always been a huge fan of CH, but there’s no way of knowing how well our new manager will be able to utilise the squad.
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
      You’re Graham Potter aren’t you?
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Tactician View Post

Good article, tactically very interesting.

I disagree that the problem with 4-3-3 was player performances. I felt like that formation change wasn't coupled with enough of a philosophy shift. What we did really well in the Championship was defend solidly then break swiftly and effectively. Often it looked to me like caution was the buzz word even in the 4-3-3 against Cardiff, Bournemouth, Saints and Burnley. Hughton's preference for caution shackled our wingers and meant we played sideways and slow way too often when we need to take a risk (at the right moment). I am not advocating going for it v the big sides, of course, I just feel the game management Hughton reverted too often meant we were negative.

I should caveat this with the fact I was on the fence about Hughton staying, I'd have been happy if he had stayed but I can totally see why Bloom sacked him and I agree with your analysis that the Newcastle game possibly did it for him.

1 Not allowed!
      Superb piece of analysis, brilliant.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      Great read . Thoroughly enjoyed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Fresh Nappies wanted, CASH WAITING!