Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens named in Shane Duffy’s Dream Eleven

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's a top quality midfielder and we'd be lost without him. When he isn't in the team we don't look anywhere near as good, so that's rather telling.

Still, try telling that to the boneheads who love to berate him with painfully unfunny cries of "Pass it FORWARDS Stephens." Completely ignoring the many incidents where he put the ball around wonderfully. His cross-field switch to Knockaert at Palace is just one such example.

Got one of them sitting near us ......'FFS pass it FORWARD you ****' repeatedly throughout the game

Erm, if you look up there is only a completely isolated Murray in front of him, 40 yards away and with a CB right on top of him, you ****.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've nicked this from an Argus story, but he's not as bad as people claim.
"I know Stephens is exactly not the same type of player, but this idea that he can't even play the simple passes accuracy is errant nonsense."

Can the Argus really not spell "arrant"? Ye gods, they really are slipping

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
TBF Knocky, Dunk and Stephens are his best mates at the club. And Murray gets double figures in the top league at the age of 72 so that's deserving.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've nicked this from an Argus story, but he's not as bad as people claim.
"Dale Stephens has a pass completion percentage this season of 82.9. That places him ahead of Aaron Ramsay, Ruben Neves, Jack Cork, Aaron Mooy, Dele Alli and even Christian Eriksen. James Ward-Prowse is way down the list. I know Stephens is exactly not the same type of player, but this idea that he can't even play the simple passes accuracy is errant nonsense."

I find these stats very unhelpful. Pass percentages are meaningless because they provide no context. The more defensive-lying the player, the more accurate he is expected and needs to be. One misplaced pass from Lewis Dunk could lead to conceding a goal, whereas one from Murray means conceding possession to their back line. Stephens is a defensive midfielder so you'd expect his pass percentages to be high, which they are, so nothing to see here IMO.

Just trust your own eyes - if he misplaces a pass because he's under pressure or because there isn't enough movement up front, that's not his fault. If he misplaces a pass because he's taken a needless risk, hasn't got the vision to play a better one, or simply makes a mistake where you'd expect better from him, well then judge him on that. Personally I don't think he's brilliant, but he is steady. I do get annoyed hearing people slaughter him for not passing it forward when often the pass isn't actually there to be made. He was absolutely outstanding in the cup semi, and one of the reasons we stayed in the game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not saying he can’t play the simple passes, that’s basically what his game is about, but for that sort of player he seems to give the ball away a lot more than he should, especially on an off day. I’m looking forward to seeing him play under a different manager.

I think his passing is underrated. When we do attack, 2nd half against Newcastle, away at Arsenal to think of 2 recent games, it is Stephens that is releasing March and Knockeart or Gross with long pinpoint passes. Other than Gross, I'd say he is our most effective passer of the ball into attacking areas. March got the plaudits for the 2nd half against Newcastle, but it was Stephens putting the ball on his toes from 40 yards away.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Big fan here. [emoji106]

Going to come as a shock to the haters when he’s integral to the new manager’s plans.
Far from coming as a shock, I'm sure most people who don't rate Stephens will be delighted if a new manager turns him into a fans favourite.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Shane Duffy votes for his best mate which obviously means Stephens is a football genius. He was fantastic at Championship level but I think he lacks athleticism at this level. Obviously he is decent at breaking up play but in my opinion we need someone who does the same job as him but a bit pacier and quicker in mind, so often opponents have run past him before he starts labouring after them. Also, and I know this is partly to do with a lack of movement around him, but he seems to dither too long and get caught in possession far too often. Decent squad player but I'd like to see an upgrade.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Far from coming as a shock, I'm sure most people who don't rate Stephens will be delighted if a new manager turns him into a fans favourite.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

They maybe delighted, but some have been so steadfast in their belief regarding his lack of abilities, they'll still also be shocked.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I’m not saying he can’t play the simple passes, that’s basically what his game is about, but for that sort of player he seems to give the ball away a lot more than he should, especially on an off day. I’m looking forward to seeing him play under a different manager.

Interestingly, his pass success % is the best in our squad at 84%... That's on a par with Joao Moutinho., better than Delle Alli and (better comparison) Victor Wanyama and only 3% worse than N'Golo Kante!

He also has by far the best pass completion at the Albion

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Interestingly, his pass success % is the best in our squad at 84%... That's on a par with Joao Moutinho., better than Delle Alli and (better comparison) Victor Wanyama and only 3% worse than N'Golo Kante!

I would be disappointed if the majority of my passes were back to the centre back and I wasn't achieving over 80%

He is clearly not a bad player, but in the second half of this season he became a representation of the often negative mentality. Why risk a 15 yard pass forward and be criticised when you can play it safely and not be 'the one' to have made the error.

I remember Leon Britton having the best pass completion in the league once....

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I would be disappointed if the majority of my passes were back to the centre back and I wasn't achieving over 80%

He is clearly not a bad player, but in the second half of this season he became a representation of the often negative mentality. Why risk a 15 yard pass forward and be criticised when you can play it safely and not be 'the one' to have made the error.

I remember Leon Britton having the best pass completion in the league once....

True enough, this was more in answer to the criticism that he gives the ball away too often. That said, try passing forward when no-one is moving into space to receive it... Stephens, in my opinion take the flack for the fact that the players in from of him were very often not making themselves available to receive the ball.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If what I’ve heard about Stephens is true, there will be a lot of surprises people in NSC.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Brilliant player and the only player in our side with the balls to play a cross-field pass in the second half of the season while everyone else hid.

Having said that and as much as it pains me to say, I'm not sure sure he is a good fit for the style change we seem to be pursuing which will please and vindicate the dunces.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Shame they are backwards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here