Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens named in Shane Duffy’s Dream Eleven

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Interesting to see that Shane includes four Albion players in best team of teammates past and present

Dale is joined by Lewis, Glenn and Knocky.

Mr Stephens is consistently rated by players and commentators if you read or watch their output

Quite weird how many Albion fans slag him off. We are all entitled to opinions but I firmly believe he is s very good player who hold the team together.

Am certain we would not have let in 4 goals against City if Dale had been playing.

Will be interesting to see how Harry Potter or alternative view Stephens next season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting to see that Shane includes four Albion players in best team of teammates past and present

Mr Stephens is consistently rated by players and commentators if you read or watch their output

Quite weird how many Albion fans slag him off. We are all entitled to opinions but I firmly believe he is s very good player who hold the team together.

Am certain we would not have let in 4 goals against City if Dale had been playing.

Will be interesting to see how Harry Potter or alternative view Stephens next season

Big fan here, hope to see the Stephens of the Championship who drove forward and scored goals, under a more adventurous manager at our level :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It was Calde himself who told me thought Stephens should be player of the season, so that's good enough for me.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Competition wise he is up against players from an Everton side Duffy played 5 games for, Republic of Ireland, some league 1 loans and Blackburn. Disappointed more haven’t made it in
That said I actually like Stephens he’s a good player for sure. Did have more of a licence to do stuff in the championship and maybe we haven’t seen the best of him in the PL.
He is critical for us at the moment. That said a more mobile and pacy version of him would be most welcome or get more pace and mobility around him in other players

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
On his day Stephens is a s good as most in the DM role , the trouble is he has not 'had his day' or been in top form for much of the last season with only the odd good day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's always been thus.

Broadly, Albion fans seemed to rate Kayal above Stephens back in our Championship days, yet it was Stephens who Burnley tried to lure to the Premier League and it was Stephens who was Hughton's choice for our own Premier League side whist Kayal warmed the bench.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Stephens does a good job for us generally, but I don’t understand how he miss places so many 10 yard passes. When he has an off day he is dreadful.

If we get a more attacking manager then we’ll see how good he really is, I think. There is more to his game than what we’ve seen under Hughton in the Premier League.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I find myself moaning about Stephens a lot but that's because I've found him enormously frustrating recently, we know he can be better than he's showed for the last 6 months or so but he just seems to be phoning it in a bit too often. His Cardiff display in particular was just abysmal.

Perhaps needs to be re-energised and maybe his role slightly tweaked to get the best out of him again.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Stephens does a good job for us generally, but I don’t understand how he miss places so many 10 yard passes. When he has an off day he is dreadful.

If we get a more attacking manager then we’ll see how good he really is, I think. There is more to his game than what we’ve seen under Hughton in the Premier League.

I've nicked this from an Argus story, but he's not as bad as people claim.
"Dale Stephens has a pass completion percentage this season of 82.9. That places him ahead of Aaron Ramsay, Ruben Neves, Jack Cork, Aaron Mooy, Dele Alli and even Christian Eriksen. James Ward-Prowse is way down the list. I know Stephens is exactly not the same type of player, but this idea that he can't even play the simple passes accuracy is errant nonsense."

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've nicked this from an Argus story, but he's not as bad as people claim.
"Dale Stephens has a pass completion percentage this season of 82.9. That places him ahead of Aaron Ramsay, Ruben Neves, Jack Cork, Aaron Mooy, Dele Alli and even Christian Eriksen. James Ward-Prowse is way down the list. I know Stephens is exactly not the same type of player, but this idea that he can't even play the simple passes accuracy is errant nonsense."

I’m not saying he can’t play the simple passes, that’s basically what his game is about, but for that sort of player he seems to give the ball away a lot more than he should, especially on an off day. I’m looking forward to seeing him play under a different manager.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's a top quality midfielder and we'd be lost without him. When he isn't in the team we don't look anywhere near as good, so that's rather telling.

Still, try telling that to the boneheads who love to berate him with painfully unfunny cries of "Pass it FORWARDS Stephens." Completely ignoring the many incidents where he put the ball around wonderfully. His cross-field switch to Knockaert at Palace is just one such example.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Stephens does a good job for us generally, but I don’t understand how he miss places so many 10 yard passes. When he has an off day he is dreadful League.

Agree totally. Any PL player should be able to pass the ball reliably to a teammate just a few yards away. A basic technical skill requirement.

Having said that, who flighted that wonderful, inch-perfect diagonal crossfield pass to AK for his magical goal of the season up at Selhurst?
Our Dale, that's who.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here