Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] LinkedIn.....

Stumpy Tim

I was on there early on because it was new and shiny and all that, but didn't maintain my account at all.

Removed myself from it due to a rather unsavoury incident related to running NSC that involved someone piecing my life together from various places, including who I worked for from LinkedIn. I'd guess that was around eight years ago now.

These threads aren't complete without [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] and [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] saying how useful it is, both of whom are 'premium' (or used to be). I'm sure they'll be along soon...

Cheeky scamp. I am not a Premier User, unless I'm looking for a job - which is when it becomes useful. I now see LinkedIn as a necessary evil... I use it to keep my profile up, and then really see the benefits when I'm on the hunt for work. In my case that appears to be every two years when I'm bored.

Stumpy Tim

I love the concept of LinkedIn, and certainly see how it can benefit users.

The biggest problem with LinkedIn though, is the constant narcissistic tripe from 'Influencers' who daily post a new tale of how they hired someone who turned up late, unprepared and scruffy but they wanted to give them a chance. Not to mention all the tales of how to treat employees right. Not naming any names, Oleg, Brigette et al.

If you're tired of this too, I highly recommend searching for a user called Mike Winnet, who regularly tears into these obvious lies for likes.

Thanks for the tip. I once called out Brigitte and have never had so much abuse on Social Media. It seemed like a full-time job replying at times

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Thanks for the tip. I once called out Brigitte and have never had so much abuse on Social Media. It seemed like a full-time job replying at times

The have 'circles' and in these circles are influences, like herself and then her followers. If you're an influencer, you have to be posting stuff regularly and then be liking other influencers within this circle almost instantly - which then shares their content with your followers.

This then creates a cult of personality, unfortunately you'll be attacked very regularly. I'm currently blocked by a chap who tries to sell FX/Bitcoin trading strategies, I called him out as he's been convicted of fraud before but having a brief glance at these so called strategies - he's talking out of his asshole. However, the typical BA Business Administration students and 'aspiring FX traders' (Who open practice accounts with brokers and user Trading View to show off 'technical analysis' with charts filled with lines and no coherent strategy) were quick to attack me, deemed me a 'hater', 'jealous' etc. Unfortunately for these chaps, I work within treasury deal with FX and commodities (not bitcoin or crypto for that matter) - so I'm talking from direct experience.

But yes, please follow Mike; he's quite funny.

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
Now you've riled me. That woman is an absolute clown who is pure click-bait. It's not often I get angry about individuals on Social Media, especially LinkedIn, but she genuinely annoys the f*ck out of me.

Deep breaths

Sorry Stumpy - Poorly written inital post, I totally agree with you, my post was in jest.

She's everything that's wrong with the site.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
You get a lot of recruiters come to you and you can pick and choose jobs of interest to you.

I can keep in touch with people that i have worked with in the past that i liked but are not close enough to have their number or on facebook (which i don't have)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Most corporate flutterbyes and recruitment agents trying to persuade me to take on staff I don't want and don't need.

Nobody's offered me a dream job yet [emoji24][emoji22][emoji25]

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
It’s now key to recruitment, most of our recruitment use it all the time as it saves a fortune on recruitment fees. Also when doing a client presentation, this is where you go to research who you are presenting to, there previous projects and links. Be foolish to not use if to your advantage.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The free version is OK but I've just seen the cost of the Premium version.

Eye watering.

How anyone who is not a recruitment agent ( and can put it on expenses ) pays that price is beyond me.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Took my current role via LinkedIn which allowed me to negotiate better terms as no 10-15% of year 1 money to a someone who would do very little, so to that regard can be useful.

However it’s really turned into an even more wanky version of Facebook for look at me, virtual signalling and recycled snips of business best practices.

It’s also the devil in people establishing who’s who at my firm and getting multiple cold calls / emails a week from people trying to see me start up tech. f*** off!

Even this week I got a call from an American consultant gentleman who’s opening gambit was “hey x, your name keeps coming up”

Wankers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The free version is OK but I've just seen the cost of the Premium version.

Eye watering.

How anyone who is not a recruitment agent ( and can put it on expenses ) pays that price is beyond me.
Great for sales actually. My employer has a corporate deal anyway but most successful way of generating business I’ve ever had in 20 years of the job

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
This Twitter account has some fine examples of LinkedIn behaviour https://twitter.com/StateOfLinkedIn

It came to my attention because someone I occasionally work with appeared on it and there was a bit of an informal inquest to find out if it'd been submitted by any of us. Mixed emotions because he's a genuinely nice guy who is a bit naïve about how being himself can come across a bit cringey and like he's trying too hard. It's fine if we're in the room and laugh about it and he'll take the joke, but I'm not sure he'll ever see the funny side of appearing as an exemplar of the worst kind of corporate bell-cheesery on a popular Twitter account.

Last edited:

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I find it useful to be able to assess people I will be up against before formally being introduced. As the nature of my job is inevitably “combative” and “confrontational”, it’s good to know the enemy.combative, confrontational, surely
Combative and confrontational in Ash green, your either an army lad or caravan lad, which is it?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I do a reasonable amount of business through LinkedIn. However being a business owner the amount of cold sales for SEO and virtual assistants is just so irritating . I just ignore them but it fills up my inbox every day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here