Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] LinkedIn.....

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what do we think of it?

I'm not a 'social climber' in the corporate world as I don't really need to be.. but I'm on there, and keep a loose eye on the various people I've met in the past during my business dealings. I can say that pretty much 95% of my 300 or so "contacts" wouldn't give a flying shit if I dropped dead tomorrow, so why do I bother? :shrug:

Perhaps it's because I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram - and it's my warped way of thinking I'm 'connected', but I'm getting very bored of Cheddar showing me amazing ideas I don't need, along with the people I know and their extended contacts simply 'willy waving' and 'back slapping'.

Has anyone on here actually benefitted from LinkedIn, or are we all just in a merry dance of twattery? ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what do we think of it?

I'm not a 'social climber' in the corporate world as I don't really need to be.. but I'm on there, and keep a loose eye on the various people I've met in the past during my business dealings. I can say that pretty much 95% of my 300 or so "contacts" wouldn't give a flying shit if I dropped dead tomorrow, so why do I bother? :shrug:

Perhaps it's because I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram - and it's my warped way of thinking I'm 'connected', but I'm getting very bored of Cheddar showing me amazing ideas I don't need, along with the people I know and their extended contacts simply 'willy waving' and 'back slapping'.

Has anyone on here actually benefitted from LinkedIn, or are we all just in a merry dance of twattery? ???

Definitely maintain an up to date profile on there as recruitment consultants, headhunters and large in-house resourcing teams use it all the time to find potential candidates (it’s cheap, easily searchable and instant). You’ll be contacted through it if they’re interested in your background.

Other than that, unless you want to read about mindless ‘look at me’ corporate bullshit, wanky advertising or people showing off about how well their career is going or something they’ve learned don’t bother looking at it otherwise. It’s like facebook for professionals, basically.

Just a personal view, obviously.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’ve used it to find suppliers, new products and also to find new customers, so I’m generally ok with it. I do concur though, make sure your profile is up to date, comprehensive and accurate, and businesslike.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
2 years ago while working for the NHS I was approached by a private healthcare company and encouraged to apply for a role with them. I was successful and got the job, my life has changed immeasurably, my salary is 60% higher, I have a work/life balance I could never previously have dreamed of.

None of this would have happened were it not for an approach via LinkedIn.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
2 years ago while working for the NHS I was approached by a private healthcare company and encouraged to apply for a role with them. I was successful and got the job, my life has changed immeasurably, my salary is 60% higher, I have a work/life balance I could never previously have dreamed of.

None of this would have happened were it not for an approach via LinkedIn.

I've been headhunted purely off LinkedIn before too. Job paid 40% more, did it for a while but then moved on as the culture was toxic, but still – it's worth being registered just for that kind of opportunity. They won't find you if you're not on sites like LinkedIn.

POINTLESS BRAG: Although I've never ever joined Facebook, I've actually been with LinkedIn since 2005, and am among its first 400,000 users.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gut reaction is that it’s overrated & Microsoft paid far too much to acquire it. Have picked up some writing and talking commissions as a result of being on there and been approached by HH although I’m already in a dream job and not motivated by money so haven’t taken up offers.

The number of random invites to connect from people who I’ve no connection with is a pain but ignoring them is fairly easy.

I don’t know a soul who is on the premium version.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just keep it in case I'm suddenly in a position of needing to find a job.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Got my last two jobs through a couple my contacts on LinkedIn telling me tbat a role available that I might like. Looking for work at the moment and use it daily.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Thank God I don’t have to deal with all that s**t any more! I can’t think of anything worse that having to bare your soul on social media in order to get on. The world has gone mad and it worries me where it will all end. George Orwell was some smart cookie.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It does make me smile (and a little angry) when I read the profiles of some of my colleagues and ex colleagues. To say they have exaggerated a little is a massive understatement. One for the Bellcheese thread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was on there early on because it was new and shiny and all that, but didn't maintain my account at all.

Removed myself from it due to a rather unsavoury incident related to running NSC that involved someone piecing my life together from various places, including who I worked for from LinkedIn. I'd guess that was around eight years ago now.

These threads aren't complete without [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] and [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] saying how useful it is, both of whom are 'premium' (or used to be). I'm sure they'll be along soon...

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I love the concept of LinkedIn, and certainly see how it can benefit users.

The biggest problem with LinkedIn though, is the constant narcissistic tripe from 'Influencers' who daily post a new tale of how they hired someone who turned up late, unprepared and scruffy but they wanted to give them a chance. Not to mention all the tales of how to treat employees right. Not naming any names, Oleg, Brigette et al.

If you're tired of this too, I highly recommend searching for a user called Mike Winnet, who regularly tears into these obvious lies for likes.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I use LinkedIn a fair bit, I did find it a very credible business tool, of late I've started to get more "Ladies" looking for "Friends", but that may be as a result of my browsing history :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here