Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] LinkedIn.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I was on there early on because it was new and shiny and all that, but didn't maintain my account at all.

Removed myself from it due to a rather unsavoury incident related to running NSC that involved someone piecing my life together from various places, including who I worked for from LinkedIn. I'd guess that was around eight years ago now.

These threads aren't complete without [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] and [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] saying how useful it is, both of whom are 'premium' (or used to be). I'm sure they'll be along soon...

I posted on it about 30 seconds ago. It’s a useful tool for me. Not really sure what I did before it, to be honest.

However, it is full of absolute idiots these days, mostly posting about how fabulously successful they are, or the view from their balcony while they are working on holiday.

Also, Premium is basically what the normal profile was originally, but they kept taking privileges away, which you now have to pay for.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I've been approached for jobs a few times and although only one ever materialised it was more to do with me not fancying it, so I'd say linkedin definitely has a function. I find it useful for connecting with people you want to maintain distance with but have some kind of link. I like to be connected to some clients who I might genuinely like but not want them seeing the shite I post on facebook, for example.

Linkedin is 90% people sucking themselves off or posting faux motivational messages but I rarely go through the feed.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
It's good if you're a freelancer, certainly in what I do, and can find a name of someone who is at an agency you want to 'connect' *shudders* with. Then, usually, you can assume the first.last@company.com form will work to 'reach out' *shudders* to them for a pitch or meeting....so for that it's useful.

Other than that it's just awful jobsworths and lonely suits talking about money, motivation and, in a very coded way, why they'll go through a divorce in a few years.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I signed up and used it once as it was the only social media kind of profile i could find when stalking a young lady i had met. We get married next sunday so its a thumbs up for me !

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
It's good if you're a freelancer, certainly in what I do, and can find a name of someone who is at an agency you want to 'connect' *shudders* with. Then, usually, you can assume the first.last@company.com to 'reach out' *shudders* to them for a pitch or meeting....so for that it's useful.

Other than that it's just awful jobsworths and lonely suits talking about money, motivation and, in a very coded way, while they'll go through a divorce in a few years.

Oh, mate, the amount of times people try to pitch you something is absurd. I used to try to reply to them but then they smell a sale and won't leave you alone. The best ones are the ones that get froggy when you ignore them and ask why you haven't replied.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's good if you're a freelancer, certainly in what I do, and can find a name of someone who is at an agency you want to 'connect' *shudders* with. Then, usually, you can assume the first.last@company.com form will work to 'reach out' *shudders* to them for a pitch or meeting....so for that it's useful.

Other than that it's just awful jobsworths and lonely suits talking about money, motivation and, in a very coded way, why they'll go through a divorce in a few years.

'Reach Out' :rant::censored::rant::censored::angry: the word is 'contact' !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've been approached by recruiters a fair few times, and 1 approach did actually lead to a new job, although that turned out to be shite and I went back to my previous company 1 year later. Most of them are useless though as from my experience, the recruiters don't look very far into your profile, just your skill set.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what do we think of it?

I'm not a 'social climber' in the corporate world as I don't really need to be.. but I'm on there, and keep a loose eye on the various people I've met in the past during my business dealings. I can say that pretty much 95% of my 300 or so "contacts" wouldn't give a flying shit if I dropped dead tomorrow, so why do I bother? :shrug:

Perhaps it's because I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram - and it's my warped way of thinking I'm 'connected', but I'm getting very bored of Cheddar showing me amazing ideas I don't need, along with the people I know and their extended contacts simply 'willy waving' and 'back slapping'.

Has anyone on here actually benefitted from LinkedIn, or are we all just in a merry dance of twattery? ???

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, mate. It is on a par with 'freindsrunited'.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Oh, mate, the amount of times people try to pitch you something is absurd. I used to try to reply to them but then they smell a sale and won't leave you alone. The best ones are the ones that get froggy when you ignore them and ask why you haven't replied.

Haha. Classic. At least you replied to a few... More than I get. What's your account name? Maybe I can spam you and you can click the "sounds good" auto reply just to give me some momentum.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get probably one approach about a job a week from headhunters (had one yesterday directly via LinkedIn), and 2-3 new 'connection requests'. We have a whole department in our firm that basically spends all day scouring it for potential candidates for jobs and then contacting them (cheaper than paying consultants 20-25% of someone's salary to email a CV over, but not always as successful). It's very, very rare now that I accept any new requests to 'connect' - unless I know the person personally I just decline them. I don't look at the newsfeeds at all - they're chock-full of santimonious wankers telling everyone how good they are, how they've just attended the latest 'totally inspirational seminar' or trying to sell something. I don't 'congratulate people on their work anniversary' either.............

As other have said, the embellishment some people put on their CVs on there is laughable :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Me too!

Not sure I have really understood the real benefits but still pay for it month to month.

You're happily paying for it, but don't have any idea if there are any benefits. Bit of a trend developing here :facepalm:

I joined it when it first started, but haven't bothered since I updated it as retired 8 years ago. (I still used to get contacted occasionally by recruiters and think the last one was only a couple of years ago. Now that is desperate :lolol:).

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I used it to recruit a couple of people and it worked well. I also got back in touch with friends from my student days many, many years ago. Mostly I use it instead of keeping a box of business cards when I meet people.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There's too many narcissistic, upwardly mobile wannabees bragging about themselves and spinning their profiles to try and make it look like they're as important as Jim O'Neill, all the while smugly claiming they 'don't do social media'.

I do find it very reassuring and quite telling that so few former colleagues and clients from years back (who are doing just fine work-wise) who were drinking buddies/acquaintances bother to keep active/up to date profiles. Different strokes though.

D

Deleted member 2719

You're happily paying for it, but don't have any idea if there are any benefits. Bit of a trend developing here :facepalm:

I joined it when it first started, but haven't bothered since I updated it as retired 8 years ago. (I still used to get contacted occasionally by recruiters and think the last one was only a couple of years ago. Now that is desperate :lolol:).

What else am I paying for that I don't know all the benefits for then???

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I invited Gary Lineker and Gabby Logan to connect once. Neither did, dunno why.

I also know of someone who uses a dummy name and account with absolutely no background info to search for people so that the ‘who’s viewed your profile’ doesn’t show with their real name. A contact-collecting numpty once tracked that and returned an invitation to connect. Seems you don’t need to know the person to connect, or even for it to be a real person.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I invited Gary Lineker and Gabby Logan to connect once. Neither did, dunno why.

I also know of someone who uses a dummy name and account with absolutely no background info to search for people so that the ‘who’s viewed your profile’ doesn’t show with their real name. A contact-collecting numpty once tracked that and returned an invitation to connect. Seems you don’t need to know the person to connect, or even for it to be a real person.

Yep, use of dummy names is quite common - I know a couple of headhunters that search that way. You can send a connection request to anyone

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I joined a few years ago, got plagued by recruitment consultants so binned it off a few weeks later. Cancelling it was a lot harder than joining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here