Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LinkedIn.....

Mon nez est on the Beach. Knocky's Nose's Avatar

LinkedIn.....

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what do we think of it?

I'm not a 'social climber' in the corporate world as I don't really need to be.. but I'm on there, and keep a loose eye on the various people I've met in the past during my business dealings. I can say that pretty much 95% of my 300 or so "contacts" wouldn't give a flying shit if I dropped dead tomorrow, so why do I bother?

Perhaps it's because I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram - and it's my warped way of thinking I'm 'connected', but I'm getting very bored of Cheddar showing me amazing ideas I don't need, along with the people I know and their extended contacts simply 'willy waving' and 'back slapping'.

Has anyone on here actually benefitted from LinkedIn, or are we all just in a merry dance of twattery?
    Ce Qui Donne?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Knocky's Nose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what do we think of it?

I'm not a 'social climber' in the corporate world as I don't really need to be.. but I'm on there, and keep a loose eye on the various people I've met in the past during my business dealings. I can say that pretty much 95% of my 300 or so "contacts" wouldn't give a flying shit if I dropped dead tomorrow, so why do I bother?

Perhaps it's because I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram - and it's my warped way of thinking I'm 'connected', but I'm getting very bored of Cheddar showing me amazing ideas I don't need, along with the people I know and their extended contacts simply 'willy waving' and 'back slapping'.

Has anyone on here actually benefitted from LinkedIn, or are we all just in a merry dance of twattery?
      Definitely maintain an up to date profile on there as recruitment consultants, headhunters and large in-house resourcing teams use it all the time to find potential candidates (it’s cheap, easily searchable and instant). You’ll be contacted through it if they’re interested in your background.

Other than that, unless you want to read about mindless ‘look at me’ corporate bullshit, wanky advertising or people showing off about how well their career is going or something they’ve learned don’t bother looking at it otherwise. It’s like facebook for professionals, basically.

Just a personal view, obviously.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      I’ve used it to find suppliers, new products and also to find new customers, so I’m generally ok with it. I do concur though, make sure your profile is up to date, comprehensive and accurate, and businesslike.

4 Not allowed!
      2 years ago while working for the NHS I was approached by a private healthcare company and encouraged to apply for a role with them. I was successful and got the job, my life has changed immeasurably, my salary is 60% higher, I have a work/life balance I could never previously have dreamed of.

None of this would have happened were it not for an approach via LinkedIn.

6 Not allowed!
      ‘State of LinkedIn’ is a good follow on Twitter

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrovers View Post
      2 years ago while working for the NHS I was approached by a private healthcare company and encouraged to apply for a role with them. I was successful and got the job, my life has changed immeasurably, my salary is 60% higher, I have a work/life balance I could never previously have dreamed of.

None of this would have happened were it not for an approach via LinkedIn.
      I've been headhunted purely off LinkedIn before too. Job paid 40% more, did it for a while but then moved on as the culture was toxic, but still – it's worth being registered just for that kind of opportunity. They won't find you if you're not on sites like LinkedIn.

POINTLESS BRAG: Although I've never ever joined Facebook, I've actually been with LinkedIn since 2005, and am among its first 400,000 users.
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
      The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Gut reaction is that it’s overrated & Microsoft paid far too much to acquire it. Have picked up some writing and talking commissions as a result of being on there and been approached by HH although I’m already in a dream job and not motivated by money so haven’t taken up offers.

The number of random invites to connect from people who I’ve no connection with is a pain but ignoring them is fairly easy.

I don’t know a soul who is on the premium version.
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      I don’t know a soul who is on the premium version.
      You do, you know.
      2A
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Just keep it in case I'm suddenly in a position of needing to find a job.
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Hemed, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Suttner

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      You do, you know.
      Me too!

Not sure I have really understood the real benefits but still pay for it month to month.
      was out on 9,999 but back after special request from Whitechapel.