Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A little bit guesswork but......

Apparently Connolly may go on season long loan to Gillingham.

Source - Steve Evans at question and answer session at Gillingham.

I understand from my pal Evans mentioned....

In talks with a young forward at Toulon tournament.
Smaller PL club

And Connolly Scored against Peterborough last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of those 'transfer guess' twitter accounts agrees with you.

https://twitter.com/TransferNation_/status/1136371157551259649?s=19

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd be disappointed if he went down to League 1. Not sure sure Evans is the ideal manager to improve him either.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd be disappointed if he went down to League 1. Not sure sure Evans is the ideal manager to improve him either.
League 1 is fine - Ashley Barnes was older than Connolly is now when he scored 20 in a season at that level for us - and he is now having a decent PL career.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's better that he goes to League 1 and plays than goes to the Championship and doesn't

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
League 1 is fine - Ashley Barnes was older than Connolly is now when he scored 20 in a season at that level for us - and he is now having a decent PL career.
And it's maybe a shame we didn't keep Barnes. Wouldn't want to feel that we should have held on the Connolly a few years down the line.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Steve Evans certainly does not look the part and most of us hate him for doing well at Crawley but he is popular with players and will be a good loan move for Connolly. But would rather see him go to Pompey or Sunderland.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And it's maybe a shame we didn't keep Barnes. Wouldn't want to feel that we should have held on the Connolly a few years down the line.

As per our other chat, great shame we didn't keep hold of Cook, Elphick (for longer), Barnes in particular as young players we were developing. We have been too quick in the past to make judgement calls and having defeats this season with Cook and Barnes in the opposition does stick in the craw somewhat.

I agree with you, you'd hope Potter and his team he brings with him have enough of a look at our development players before decisions are made on loans etc.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Steve Evans certainly does not look the part and most of us hate him for doing well at Crawley but he is popular with players and will be a good loan move for Connolly. But would rather see him go to Pompey or Sunderland.

I think most people hate him because he's a ****,

Edit, didn't read your full post. Evans popular with the players? You do know which Steve Evans is at Gillingham?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
No way should this lad go out on loan in the summer, if Potter is serious about youth then he should at least have Connolly on the bench and a start in the league Cup, if it doesn't pan out just yet then fine secure a loan for him in January, never going to know if these lads can cut it by just keep loaning them out as a matter of course.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This very promising young striker turned 21 yesterday. Hope he had a good birthday!

Looking forward to see him on the pitch again and create more unforgettable moments to silence the forgettable knobs bashing him.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Dominic Calvert Lewin scored 11 in 78 appearances over the course of his first three seasons. 30 in his last 61. Let’s cut this young lad a little slack eh?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This very promising young striker turned 21 yesterday. Hope he had a good birthday!

Looking forward to see him on the pitch again and create more unforgettable moments to silence the forgettable knobs bashing him.

I see your understanding of the English language has progressed :lol:

You must agree that Spuds will miss Harry Kane, especially with his damaged kankles:thumbsup:

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

I liked Webbo's Instagram message to him.

Screenshot 2021-01-29 084844.png

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dominic Calvert Lewin scored 11 in 78 appearances over the course of his first three seasons. 30 in his last 61. Let’s cut this young lad a little slack eh?

Yeah, and plenty of Everton fans saw him as dogshit.

And here's another striker that fans saw as dogshit:

He's woeful

He works hard but hasn't shown any of the ability required to be consistently competent at championship level. Quite surprised another championship club is willing to go for him to be honest. I thought he was bound for League One at best.

Every time I've seen him play he's never looked as if he can make it in anything other than non-league football.

Works hard, but just isn't good enough, as simple as it may sound. As it's been said, he's League One standard at best.

No idea why another team in this division would bother signing him.

Probably Nigel's worst signing since he returned.

Million pound + for a player who doesnt have the ability to play in this division, tries his best and will work his balls off for you mind.

If you can pay his wages might be worth us shifting him out.

Would be glad to see the back of him, whether permanetely or on loan, as long as he isn't part of the squad I'm happy.

You're welcome to him. Has he got a lift up there sorted? I can always take him if he's struggling.

He's not up to this level. His goalscoring isn't good enough and his first touch is inconsistent at best. Works hard but I've never been convinced by his movement for a striker.

He is turd

Will never make it at this level should sell to anyone but please get rid.

Take him away, please, and keep him.

He doesn't strike me as a footballer.

But as an individual he's just a poor player at this level. I don't think he's shown any real potential, and he's 26 now isn't he? Not only did he not nail down a place last season (and if you'll remember correctly, people said we needed better than him even in October when we were winning) but he couldn't even come on as a sub later in the season. I always thought Waghorn looked better.

He never looked a confident finisher last season, in fact he missed numerous chances.

There's no doubt for me that he is at least one level above where he belongs.

He is bloody awful will never make it at this level? Saw enough of him last season to know that. Waste of a million quid and a terrible signing.

Who? Jamie Vardy.

Some people are very trigger happy. Same goes for a lot that has been said about Connolly.

Personally I'm convinced he is going to turn into a great PL striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here