• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Following on from Muzza's comments about finishing 17th in the other thread, what do you think the realistic target for our next season under whoever it is should be? Poll to follow.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Regardless of the waffle being said it will always be 17th. Any higher is a bonus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The same as it should have been this season, 15th or higher.

Small incremental steps forward is the only way to go.
Next season the team should now be looking at a top 10 finish, I hope that's on hold for just 1 season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
15th or higher is a realistic ambition.

If we finished 16th/17th but playing football that was more easy on the eye than this season, I would accept that, given it's INSERT NEW MANAGERS NAME HERE's first season in charge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Entertain me and stay up by 1 point will do, although top half would be nice. The emphasis for me though is not wanting to kick something during and after games :smile:

I don’t care where we are in the league, win a few against the big boys, lose in an entertaining game against the teams around us. Just look like we belong most of the time.

I don’t think TB and his team think the same way though.

Where’s the option for don’t care as long as it’s mostly entertaining and we stay up.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the target at the start of season should be top half.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the target should be to equal the club's best ever top flight finish, i.e. 13th.

The problem I have with the "improving on last season's points tally" target is that you could have 4 years of continuous "improvement" and finish on 37 points next season, 38 thereafter, 39 in 2021/22 and 40 in 2022/23 - yet you'd still be no further forward than our finish of 2017/18.

Furthermore, simply aiming to improve on a points tally could get you relegated. I believe West Ham were relegated from the Prem with 42 points.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Staying up & improving overall to be 15th or higher is what I would settle for then push on the season after for mid table.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Staying in the division, but without the drama of a relegation battle. I don't care if that is 17th and 6 or 7 points clear or if it is 15th and higher. The aim should be to feel more comfortable in this division. I'd be surprised by a huge improvement, but a decent incremental improvement should be an achievable aim

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's about taking one step forward every season, as proved this season 2 steps back is not an option?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The same as it should have been this season, 15th or higher.

Small incremental steps forward is the only way to go.
Next season the team should now be looking at a top 10 finish, I hope that's on hold for just 1 season.

15th or higher is a realistic ambition.

If we finished 16th/17th but playing football that was more easy on the eye than this season, I would accept that, given it's INSERT NEW MANAGERS NAME HERE's first season in charge.

What is the basis for that? If we're still not furnishing a manager with a squad of a higher quality, a manager will only be able to work so much magic for those incremental steps forward.

Take a look at [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s financials, we are where we are, not necessarily because of Hughton, but because we compete at the bottom end of the transfer market, as Montoya, Balogun, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone have all proved this season.

Ambitions should be to retain our place in the league scoring more goals and being more entertaining. If that means 17th but we've scored 50 goals, I will take that as progress and a step forward.

If we're all about finishing positions as progress, then we may as well accept you win how you can, regardless of how that looks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we're all about finishing positions as progress, then we may as well accept you win how you can, regardless of how that looks.
In all honesty is that not the case, anyway?

The team gets away most if not all 'issues' on the days they win.
It's rare for a decent losing performance to be acknowledged as such, Spurs away is the only example that springs to mind. (Probably because it was recent)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Whilst what Murray said was strictly correct in that we don't have to finish higher than 17th, I'm sure that finishing higher than 17th and with more points will be the realistic aim.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here